Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Two Handed Attacks And A Counter Strike

Wylfred

I use two handed, and it could be used as a main weapon. Why is that? because it currently has a decent amount of attacks, though it will be even better to expand it. Well one thing that bothers me about two handed attacks is that we have three of them that look almost the same. We have the charge attack - 360 spin, the slide attack - 360 spin, and the wall running attack - a 360 spin. Well isn't that funny? What about changing them so we would get the feeling of a vaster arsenal of attacks, aye?

I say keep the slide attack animation as it is, but change the charge attack and the wall running attack.

The charge attack could be an overhead smash or a an uppercut, I do not have a lot of ideas for this one.

What I think would be really great is the the wall running attack will do more damage (actually it does not even work - a bug. It just goes through the enemy and that is it), and the animation would be a thrust. The Warframe will push itself off the wall with its legs and thrust its weapon towards the target. It could also knockout the enemy.

It would also be great if we would have a counter strike. A melee unit attack us, we block, then press "E" and counter strike then with a special animation and high damage. 

Of course there are much more option, so feel free to suggest. I do not even know if it makes any affection on the devs, but it worths a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

How about... No ?

Such negativity. I think it's a pretty cool idea, currently melee combat is just mash the button as hard as you can till they're dead. Adding a counterattack aspect to the game would not only further deepen the essence of melee combat in warframe but also would make the upcoming dualing in patch 8 much more interesting.

Problem here is allowing the start of combos into the game. It has been talked about excessively before that Warframe shouldn't become a spectacle fighter with combos and the like.

Adding animations would be perfectly fine in my book, as long as we keep combos out. At that point there is a depth to the melee combat that would overshadow the gunplay, maybe even making it somewhat obsolete.

This is not necessarily my opinion entirely (I personally do enjoy spectacle fighters) but more the opinion of the devs on the dev livestreams. I tend to agree with them on that end though.

Again, I would very much agree with your point to make melee look more fluid and well developed, as long as people don't have to learn 20 combos to be effective.

The current melee mechanic is quite dull. I like it, but there are people out there like me, who would like to use melee as a different combat mod.  

Do not forget that we are space ninjas, which means we specialize in both long and close combat. Long combat is more straight forward - Shoot to kill.

Melee combat is an art, and an art should be complex and hard to master. I would like to use guns as a general mean to fight, but when things get serious, I switch to melee - the real combat tool.

Now I do not suggest that the devs should focus on melee more than anything else, but I think that there are LOTS of options to make melee better, as well as range combat. Creativity is the name of the game.

I also would love if they made combat less bland, and no offense to the animators, but the swings don't seem very ninja like, something's missing in the way dual swords are hold /swung, in my opinion at least.
More variety in the way combat works would only serve to improve the game.

Edited by MylesShort

I think it might cause a few problems.

First off, the vast majority of melee units are Infested. Ancients can be hard to take down sometimes, sure, but you really shouldn't be in melee range of Ancients anyway.

Melee Grineer and Corpus enemies are weak as paper anyway so it doesn't take much to kill them, melee or ranged.

But I also feel like it ill slow the pace of melee combat. While it is indeed a spamfest (with the occasional jumping or dashing attack), combat would defer to waiting for an attack, counter it (thereby taking no damage), rinse and repeat until the target is dead.

It would be clunky and awkward if not implemented properly.