The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extermination Squad Leaders?

Nishmo

Someone in a previous thread mentioned something related to having spawns bug out and all of the enemies appearing near spawn, and it got me thinking... what if it wasn't a mistake?

Then it came to me. Exterminate is among the easiest and quickest kind of mission type. That's not inherently bad. Sometimes you need a nice, easy mission. But something I feel would be a nice addition without adding too much difficulty, is Commanders or Lieutenants or whatever in charge of Grineer or Corpus extermination missions that issue unique commands to the Grineer/Corpus upon you being alerted. The "Squad Leader" (as I will shorten it to for the sake of not knowing what rank would work best) will randomly spawn at any location, but will continue issuing commands so long as the Tenno has been discovered.

Commands could be as follows:

- Telling Grineer/Corpus to get behind cover to prepare for the incoming intruder

- Telling Grineer/Corpus to seek and destroy to eradicate the incoming intruder

- Telling Grineer/Corpus to remain alert (pretty much the default mode) for incoming intruders

- Telling Grineer/Corpus not to let the intruder escape (the ones close to the extraction point will gather to prevent the intruder from escaping

I feel like this could silently promote a more stealth-based game if one does not wish for enemies to be given these commands, or it promotes killing enemies faster before they can alert everyone. Killing the Leader would be instrumental to stealth play, as all it takes is one raised alarm and orders are issued to prepare the Grineer or Corpus. Also, it makes sense for these factions to have some sort of Squad Leader in charge of units in Extermination missions. Especially for the Grineer. As a military force, we don't see too many orders given in the middle of a fight. Just lots of charge in, run-and-gun units. It could be nice to have them change a tactic every now and then.

Feel free to give your opinions on this. Add to the thought, tell me it'd be a bad idea, etc. The idea just came to me not even a minute before starting this topic, so I'm sure there's probably something I have overlooked. Not even really looking for implementation, just wanted to share what I thought was an interesting idea.

Agreed, adding some more interesting AI behaviour would make for more interesting missions.  Not just in Exterminate, but in all sorts.  It would be nice to see how the AI behaves once the "Squad Leader" was taken out as well, see how the rank and file fell to peices, some running away, some running straight at you, some hiding in fear.  

Like this idea :)

Great idea. I agree with the military faction stuff, they sure are very disorganised. Furthermore, having these Leaders all around would be kinda awesome. Imagine a Sabotage mission, where you have just been discovered and the alarm is ringing. Suddenly, you hear "You fat ants, converge on the reactor. We are under attack! Defend the reactor, you dolts!"

Exterminate missions shouldn't have a kill counter. just multiple stronghold rooms in a row leading to the commander of the base. Similar to assassinate but you still kill everything.

You A: have to sneak through each room to unlock the blast doors to the next section to eventually plant a bomb on the core to obliterate everyone in one go.

Or B: Fight through waves in each room as the commander orders "Snipers to the top deck!" or "Flamers, attack from the rear!" as basic crewmen and lancers attack you from everywhere. and each special group has a eximus.

Exterminate missions shouldn't have a kill counter. just multiple stronghold rooms in a row leading to the commander of the base. Similar to assassinate but you still kill everything.

You A: have to sneak through each room to unlock the blast doors to the next section to eventually plant a bomb on the core to obliterate everyone in one go.

Or B: Fight through waves in each room as the commander orders "Snipers to the top deck!" or "Flamers, attack from the rear!" as basic crewmen and lancers attack you from everywhere. and each special group has a eximus.

A more stealth friendly variant could be to have the commander lock himself in a bunker if the alarm was raised. Then when you get to the bunker room he comes out as a more powerful version, like a super eximus. 

Successfully stealthing through the level you allow you to take on the commander at a normal power level.