The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To New Players And De: Feedback About Primary Weapons

RyanDaniel638

I would be to, admittedly, but as it is right now I'm still in the process of experimenting with the Grakata and what sort of potentials it can accomplish through mod focusing. What I do know is that 60% fire damage of base 9 damage is 5 damage... which is negated to around 2 against Grineer. An extra 2 damage per shot for 9 power doesn't compare to what 9 power could do for its fire rate, or ammunition capacity... so on and so on.

I imagine once I'm done having fun with the Grak, I'll probably stop caring so much as well.

Sadly after so much research I have a feeling the gimmick of the gun is just pigeonholing it. It's built specifically for one thing, and has to be modded for crit chance/damage vs 1 type of enemy. I guess it's a nice change of pace since many other weapons are more well rounded, but once faction switching comes back it might be a problem like Corpus to Infested. Well, I guess that's what the other 2 weapons are for. lol

I actually think it's got its niche, even without all the crit mods. With the right party and mods, it'll be an excellent support weapon for group fights with many factions and bosses, with enough ammo to tag many types of enemies to keep their shields low while dealing some status effects going (Electric stun on Corpus, setting fire on Grineer and infested).  Solo, it's a great weapon to unload quickly if you need some major DPS, cause some sidearms have ammo that almost never run out, and complemented with the melee, ammo wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'd actually mod my Sicarus to accompany the Grakata for that reason, and I have a decent pair of melee weapons: The dual heat swords.

Edited by Calayne

I actually think it's got its niche, even without all the crit mods. With the right party and mods, it'll be an excellent support weapon for group fights with many factions and bosses, with enough ammo to tag many types of enemies to keep their shields low while dealing some status effects going (Electric stun on Corpus, setting fire on Grineer and infested).  Solo, it's a great weapon to unload quickly if you need some major DPS, cause some sidearms have ammo that almost never run out, and complemented with the melee, ammo wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'd actually mod my Sicarus to accompany the Grakata for that reason, and I have a decent pair of melee weapons: The dual heat swords.

There's no doubt in my mind that it is a good weapon, or could become even better, but it's not my play style. Science knows I'd spam the S#&$ out of this weapon. Controlled burst is great and the bullets travel at a fast speed but I'd just have an unrelenting need to press down on my mouse button so hard. XD

There's no doubt in my mind that it is a good weapon, or could become even better, but it's not my play style. Science knows I'd spam the S#&$ out of this weapon. Controlled burst is great and the bullets travel at a fast speed but I'd just have an unrelenting need to press down on my mouse button so hard. XD

Haha! A lover of full-auto weapons. Sadly, I think Warframe despises that play style. :( I experimented once, playing full auto load outs with the Braton and Viper, trying not to score head shots. Damn near died on Earth, since my Braton and Viper are still pretty weak. The twin vipers are in the oven, though. ^^

Why include the potential damage values? Only really useful in vaguely estimating ammo consumption...

Also seems misleading to people who won't read the entire post or who don't understand DPS.

Actually, wouldn't ammo consumption be directly tied to Fire Rate? Higher fire rates equal more ammo spent. Thinking about it, reload speed would be a factor too. This thread wasn't about any of these, though. It's too state a not too obvious fact that some weapons that are available now are inherently better than others, some are, in my opinion useless, and that some reshuffling should occur to bring about a more linear progression until a player has all of their mods obtained and leveled.

EDIT: spelling errors. :(

Edited by RyanDaniel638

Haha! A lover of full-auto weapons. Sadly, I think Warframe despises that play style. :( I experimented once, playing full auto load outs with the Braton and Viper, trying not to score head shots. Damn near died on Earth, since my Braton and Viper are still pretty weak. The twin vipers are in the oven, though. ^^

I completely agree that if you are trigger happy you're going to have a tough time adjusting. It's not so rewarding to chew through your ammo, especially on Defense missions. If I remember correctly my first Defense was on Gaia, Earth and I still had the MK1 with no mods. It was the first time I pissed through ammo and contributed little to the mission. It was also the same time I noticed I had damage and multishot for pistol so I bought Akbolto. They were my mainstay for weeks.

That is true. And it's also true DPS is much harder to calculate, since you  need to measure the damage accumulated by the hail of bullets you let loose from your mini fire-breather.

I read an argument regarding the ammo efficiency of high-damage-low-ROF against low-damage-high-ROF weapons before, though. It does make a difference when it's modded for high ROF weapons. It's most definitely not a gun you can sustain for long, and it's only used to good effect when your really need it. In hindsight, that must be why our side-arms and melee weapons are still so powerful. Varying roles. Inversely, a sustainable primary and ammo-burning-DPS side-arm is viable as well, ala Latron, Twin Viper/Afuris, and melee.

But to shorten the argument, in that sense, the calculated argument is true only to an extent: Full auto guns are easier to hit enemies with, despite lower accuracy: After all, showering bullets, you tend to hit -SOMETHING-, at least. Full-auto guns are not inherently weaker: They are just made differently. Like poodles. Ugly buggers.

Edit: Ooops, was referring to your earlier post! And wow, now you make me wanna try the Akboltos.

Edited by Calayne

The Latron and Akboltos look amazing on Volt. I've got Dual Vipers, and yeah they are fun to use. Akboltos are like a first love though. Always got me out of jam when I had no time to reload, or just sprint and look like a badass. Since I'm not going to work tomorrow I guess I'll test some things in the game, maybe get another post going for Secondaries.

Finally, Akboltos are amazing. I love the flintlock look.

Gosh, me too. Except mine is for the Sicarus, haha! But the leading for Akboltos seems a little too tricky for me at the moment, since I've got very little spare resources, and I'm sort of "Engaged" to my Sicarus. :P

I love the weapon designs in general, but my favorite's still the Sicarus! I'd like the Kraken, too, but it's one ugly Grineer baby. I'm using the Loki, though! Love that frame. Thinking of getting a Frost next.

But anyways, I think that DPS side of things is better left until the fire-rate can be properly quantified. I'm not even sure what the fire-rate means in terms of time yet! Grakata is 20, but does that mean it fires twenty shots a second? Curious. But if it is, then perhaps DPS isn't such an aloof thing to quantify.

Awesome. You could always try recording in-game videos and refer to the time-stamp, if there's such a thing. And then just stand real close to a MOA and fire away. After replaying, slowly counting the 60 bullets shouldn't be too hard. :P

"BRATON VANDAL: 25 damage * 45 bullets = 900 damage per magazine * 11.1 magazines = 10000~ damage."

Your braton vandal math might be wrong. 25*45 = 1125

And braton vandal's base damage is 20.

Edited by Cytancy

"BRATON VANDAL: 25 damage * 45 bullets = 900 damage per magazine * 11.1 magazines = 10000~ damage."

Your braton vandal math might be wrong. 25*45 = 1125

And braton vandal's base damage is 20.

Someone had pointed this out before and I made the change. Took a look now and saw that for some apparent reason, it hadn't.

It's fixed now, hopefully for good.