The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disconnecting For Farming Is Worse Now, And Here's How To Fix It Once And For All

Luxangel7

I have lost soooo many blueprints or resources that I was looking for because the host disconnects IMMEDIATELY after killing the boss and not getting what they wanted.

It always says "host migration in progress" then after about 30 seconds I get returned to the map screen with a big 'ol "mission failed" screen, and obviously I just lost all mods, bp's and resources.

Solution?

--- Boss drops nothing in game, all materials / mods / blue prints it would normally drop are awarded at mission end screen like when you complete an "?" alert mission and get the special reward ---

Dear Devs, PLEASE implement this change, if you think it was frustrating before when people disconnected immediately after getting what they wanted (or not) consider that now absolutely NOTHING has changed except that now all the players suffer by not getting to keep any mods, resources or bp's they collected just because some dou**e who was hosting didn't get what they wanted.

I understand that sometimes, and I stress the SOMETIMES, host migration actually works and I get to keep playing. However, this is the rare occasion, and not the norm. Most times it just disconnects and I get returned "home" with nothing.

Please hear my plea devs! :(

I've not gotten this thou, every time the reconnection fails it gives me all the things I have and says "sending you back to lobby -> updating account" and then I get the stuff I earned during the mission. Or I might just be incredibly oblivious and didn't realize I've been lossing everything.

I've not gotten this thou, every time the reconnection fails it gives me all the things I have and says "sending you back to lobby -> updating account" and then I get the stuff I earned during the mission. Or I might just be incredibly oblivious and didn't realize I've been lossing everything.

I'm sorry to say that while I have indeed seen the "updating account" message, as of the last update that doesn'e mean you get to keep anything you found, just that your xp earned gets attributed.

Not to call you oblivious or anything ;)

I agree that boss rewards should be shifted to being awarded at the end of the mission, as that would definatly stop the abandoing factor of those inconsiderate enough to bail out on their group.

If DE so wished it would also open up again the ability to get pickups for failing missions (I see both the perks and downsides to this).

They could also do a feature that triggers when you kill the boss/complete the objective that basically just saves ALL your progress up to that point so even if you disconnect you ALL still get the drops (and you don't have to look for them on the ground)

They could also do a feature that triggers when you kill the boss/complete the objective that basically just saves ALL your progress up to that point so even if you disconnect you ALL still get the drops (and you don't have to look for them on the ground)

Unfortunately this wouldn't solve the problem of people disconnecting. Even if they don't know what they got, they would still disconnect because they know the checkpoint saved everything they got. Thanks for you input though. 

Does host migration really fail that often?  Is this really that huge of a problem?

I've seen plenty of hosts leave, but the number of times host migration has failed I can count on one hand.

IMO, its pretty rare and not a big concern.

Does host migration really fail that often?  Is this really that huge of a problem?

I've seen plenty of hosts leave, but the number of times host migration has failed I can count on one hand.

IMO, its pretty rare and not a big concern.

I'm happy it doesnt happen to you that often, but to me it happens ALL the time. And I have a Verizon FIOS 80mb/sec connection, so it's definitely not me. I don't even use a router or anything, straight to cable.

And unfortunately, in my case, I think it's successfully migrated (even though glitches are caused) maybe like twice or maybe 3 times. Every other time the situation I described happens. 

I have lost soooo many blueprints or resources that I was looking for because the host disconnects IMMEDIATELY after killing the boss and not getting what they wanted.

It always says "host migration in progress" then after about 30 seconds I get returned to the map screen with a big 'ol "mission failed" screen, and obviously I just lost all mods, bp's and resources.

Solution?

--- Boss drops nothing in game, all materials / mods / blue prints it would normally drop are awarded at mission end screen like when you complete an "?" alert mission and get the special reward ---

Dear Devs, PLEASE implement this change, if you think it was frustrating before when people disconnected immediately after getting what they wanted (or not) consider that now absolutely NOTHING has changed except that now all the players suffer by not getting to keep any mods, resources or bp's they collected just because some dou**e who was hosting didn't get what they wanted.

I understand that sometimes, and I stress the SOMETIMES, host migration actually works and I get to keep playing. However, this is the rare occasion, and not the norm. Most times it just disconnects and I get returned "home" with nothing.

Please hear my plea devs! :(

Yeah. I think losing everything cause the Host quits isn't quite the way to go. If anything you should keep it all. The person ditching cause they didn't get what they want and throws a tantrum?

Should lose it all.

I find it unfair for three people to do a lot of work and one render it null and void. If anything it should save it all.

Damn, I just got burned by this. Was farming Tyl Regor for Gallium.

Lost the Gallium and a Shotgun Spazz mod that dropped for me.

I don't mind the anti-farming measures, but the fact that host-migration just doesn't seem to work needs to be looked at and fixed ASAP.

Normally i would farm with friends so it is not an issue - but sometimes they are not online and you just want to do a few quick runs and pubs are the only way to do it 

Totally agree with OP. I have been burnt several times on this, including legitimate times where I have even lost connection to the host after the mission has been completed. Host migration has only worked for me about 50% of the time.

You should only lose progress if you personally abort a mission.

I'm really not a fan of this "lose everything" game play.  Had a bugged mission in Europa>Abaddon where a door was locked with no console to hack.  Lost about 30 minutes game play and about 8-10 mods.  I've also lost the first and only Metal Auger mod I've seen from host migration.

Completely agree that boss drops should be changed to end of mission rewards.  It has not happened to me yet that host disconnects after boss kill, but I understand that it does happen and would not like it if it happened to me and causes me to lose everything.

Personally I like it that you have to get out again, it makes it feel more immersive.

The host migration in obviously a big issue, though the more it fails the more info DE gets to iron out the bugs, so it helps in the long run.  Not that that really helps the factor of loosing out on gear :/.

I'm sorry to say that while I have indeed seen the "updating account" message, as of the last update that doesn'e mean you get to keep anything you found, just that your xp earned gets attributed.

Not to call you oblivious or anything ;)

That's the thing thou, some times it says that and gives me nothing, and others it just shows the message just because and the things I earned do appear in my inventory (I tend to remeber everything I picked during the missions)

To be fair them placing the exit closer to the objective helps but on those higher level bosses with the complex and confused routes (where the pathing icon doesn't reflect the path) it can take 10 mins to get to the boss and kill him...

..then you have to find your way out with enough players to finish and who can be bothered with another 10mins of running around lost just to obtain a minute amount of plastids. I've never bailed on a mission, apart from technical issues, but i understand why people do even if it annoys the heck outta me. On top of this you have the Host migration delay and bugs that just make it worse.

Two solutions that seem obvious to me:

1) Don't drop BPs into the map at all; award them on the mission complete screen. (as is done with Banshee BPs)

2) Eliminate boss farming entirely.

Games go to great lengths to avoid making themselves feel repetitive; boss farming works against this goal by purposefully encouraging repetition.

Boss farming originated as a design flaw found in early hack&slash games; that later games embraced it as a core functional mechanic is perverse.

Edited by TehJumpingJawa

Again, the issue is not with boss farming, Azathoth knows I do it too, but with host migration, and that's why I farm solo or in farm parties, so I won't burn anyone whenever I don't get the drop I want. Giving the boss rewards at the end of the game will just piss alot of people off, especially in some grineer zones that are still a chore to go through and the waypoint still glitches.

They should fix host migration and, if it fails, you should stay inside the mission instance and play it solo, or get kicked out and get a forced Mission Successful and get everything you've gotten until that point because it's not your fault that someone left.

Again, the issue is not with boss farming, Azathoth knows I do it too, but with host migration, and that's why I farm solo or in farm parties, so I won't burn anyone whenever I don't get the drop I want. Giving the boss rewards at the end of the game will just &!$$ alot of people off, especially in some grineer zones that are still a chore to go through and the waypoint still glitches.

Start boss instance->rush to boss->kill boss->disconnect

Are you honestly suggesting the devs leave this in as an intended mechanic?

It's repetitive, boring & ~doubles the intended drop rate of boss rewards.

If they were to adopt a better design, they could eliminate the boring repetition and gain better control over the drop rates.

I pity the generation of gamers who have been preconditioned by today's MMO grinding games into thinking this practice of doing the same old sh1t for dozens of matches in a row is what constitutes fun.

Edited by TehJumpingJawa

Start boss instance->rush to boss->kill boss->disconnect

Are you honestly suggesting the devs leave this in as an intended mechanic?

It's repetitive, boring & ~doubles the intended drop rate of boss rewards.

If they were to adopt a better design, they could eliminate the boring repetition and gain better control over the drop rates.

I pitty the generation of gamers who have been preconditioned by today's MMO grinding games into thinking this practice of doing the same old sh1t for dozens of matches in a row is what constitutes fun.

More repetitive and boring is to start the instance, rush to the boss, kill it, go back through the new grineer tilesets, get to the extraction, notice that you didn't get what you want, be so mad that you wasted 15m of your life for 1000 credits, leave the game and stop playing it for a week. Either that, or cut to the mad part and start the same instance again.

Son, the whole game runs on repetition, you're making it worse by not letting people cut the repetition short when they don't get what they want. What I do agree is that they should give the whole system an overhaul, like you said, but forcing us to finish the mission to see what we got will just make it even more repetitive and boring.

Fixing host migration is a 100% must. Then either overhaul the drop system to make it more enjoyable to us or don't touch it at all.

Solution?

I would take it much further than that. I would prefer to see an end of run routine when the level is completed, which assigns all the mods, pickups, cash etc..including blueprints. to those players who made it.

During the game all I want to know is i picked up a ?, mod, Blueprint, cash, rubedos etc.., but not the specifics such as type, quantity etc..

It would stop all this......