Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Christmas Was Kind To My Rig

ClowdyHowdy

Nice.... Pretty awesome GPU. Except it doesn't run PhysX. I hate nVidia for this. BTW, I have a 7970 GHz Edition

I'm more worried about those things entirely eating up the household's electricity. One eats a S#&$ton of power already, but three? Good lord.

Even though Mantle is a great thing, it also completely prevents you from using an nvidia card, so I'd rather go with an i7 4790k and a GTX 970 combination, so it uses half the power if not less. (the rig I'm about to make actually)

But glad you had a Merry Christmas OP :P

Edited by Cynaris

I'm more worried about those things entirely eating up the household's electricity. One eats a S#&$ton of power already, but three? Good lord.

3 what? the Tri-x moniker might be misleading you, its only one card.

But I can handle a little extra power consumption considering it runs circles around my old card.

Even though Mantle is a great thing, it also completely prevents you from using an nvidia card, so I'd rather go with an i7 4790k and a GTX 970 combination, so it uses half the power if not less. (the rig I'm about to make actually)

But glad you had a Merry Christmas OP :P

3 what? the Tri-x moniker might be misleading you, its only one card.

But I can handle a little extra power consumption considering it runs circles around my old card.

As above, only one card. Tri-X refers to the amount of fans. Hence 3.

AMD cards are a hell of a lot stronger than the old ATI cards. The only downsides are the greedy Nvidia exclusive physX, and the power consumption. But lets face it, without physX Nvidia would die. AMD cards generally outperform the Nvidia counterparts, and with the new software AMD are working on, the CPU and GPU can share processing loads, something the Nvidia cards cannot do. Also with mantle AMD could really deliver a killing blow. Nvidia have been working solely on pure card performance, where AMD is working on efficiency and synergy.

AMD cards would only outperform NVidia if you couple an AMD CPU with a GPU to utilize Mantle pretty much.

But that would result in double the power consumption.

I'll be snob and stick to i7 and a GTX 970 for my next build.

Edited by Cynaris