The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Skill-Dependand Weaponry

BenMorgan

We recently got the Glaive, a weapon that needs some training and skill to put to optimal use. Most if not all the weapons before were either: Point, click, smile or hold 'e' to charge or spam e to kill everything. There is definitely nothing wrong with weapons like that, they are definitely fun to use, but I think it would still be great to see more weapons like the Glaive that need training to be mastered, especially because they feel a little bit more rewarding, at least to me.

Weapon Suggestions:

Scythe:

Yeah, there are more than enoug topics that say: We want a scythe, why not introduce a scythe,... Still the concept of a scythe in Warframe would be interesting, because you have to hit with the blade at the tip of the pole to do some real damage, while hitting something with the pole would maybe stagger it and deal near to no damage. So wielding a scythe would always be the decision: stagger them with the pole or cut through them with the blade. Also, timing would be needed to hit with the part of the weapon that I wanted to hit with.

Spear/Lance:

Partially the same as the Scythe as that it has 2 different parts, the sharp tip that does damage and the pole. Only that the scythe can do heavy damage with swings, where a Spear/Lance would only be useful with thrusts, and swings would only do minor damage and again maybe a stagger. But the Spear/Lance concept gives an interesting option: A "real" charge attack, where you actually charge your enemies, pick up a little speed and then thrust you weapon forward. With the right timing (maximum speed, hitting the enemy with the thrust) it would be a devastating attack.

Whip:

The whip would be a cc-intense weapon, if you hit an enemies hand with a charged whipattack he would drop his gun/at least not be able to use it for a while, for example. of if you hit his with precise normal attack swings he would be entangled for a short period of time, giving your teammates the oppurtunitiy to gun him down while he cant move. Also there could be a choke when you manage to hit his neck. (Possibly difficult to implement because of all the different hitboxes that would be needed)

Bolas:

A thrown weapon with 2 weights and a chain/rope in between. Maybe make it a secondary with very limited ammunition. The first target hit by the bola is entangled and can't move if the legs are hit, or can't shoot if you hit the upper body.

Grappling Hook:

A low-damage weapon that could be used to drag enemies towards you, for example pulling a grineer commander out of his grunts, so that his switchteleport wouldnt be dangerous anymore (probably a conflict with Mag). Also, you could use the hook to reach ledges/high ground, maybe hang on the hook and snipe from that position.

Thoughts, suggestions and more weapon ideas would be great!

Edited by BenMorgan

I like the concept of the scythe. IT doesn't have to be a scythe, it could be any polearm/spear to be honest. Also, it's a sleek and light weapon that could make its way to the Tenno armory.

I am not really keen on the others, however.

Thought about the Spear/Lance suggestion and added it as a different weapon, because it actually feels very different from a scythe if you think about it.

Only partially correct.

If you take a polearm, you have different kind of weapons.

You are right, a SPEAR (or lance) is only good for thrusting attacks. However, in this contest, it isn't even that useful. Also, a spear is usually light enough to be held in one hand.

A halberd (or poleaxe) on the other hand is a weapon used for slashing. In this case, if you had a weapon similar to the Scindo but longer and overall lighter (but still with a thick pole) then you'd have a halberd. Halberds are still quite heavy and need two hands for proper swinging.

In fact, you could quickly define it like this:

Overall: speed and damage-wise it'd be similar to the Gram, perhaps with a higher damage at the blade. It'd have a longer reach than any heavy weapon. Also fast but not-so-strong charge attack.

Blade: Medium-high damage with low stagger. Charged attacks would be just like any heavy weapon's heavy attack and increease damage by far.

Pole: Low damage but higher stagger, and charge attack would knock targets to the ground.

Jump attack would have a large radius and do any of these:

1) Medium damage with stagger (consider the very large radius)

2) Low damage with knockdown.

[if a better/new blocking system is designed] Blocking would be quite ineffective with this weapon, but it could probably partially cover bullets even beyond you, so you could slightly protect your allies too!

I can't see how can this be hard to code, but it may need slightly more work

This should be fairly easy to code, what I meant with maybe difficult to code was implementing many different hitboxes on enemies so my whip him on the hands, he loses his weapon idea could work. The whole pole-arm thing should be fairly easy to do.

And yeah I know about halberds and I know how they work but from an aesthetic point of view I think they are just ugly. More effective than a Scythe? Probably yes. With a feeling and look as good or better as a scythe? Definitely not. And Warframe is all about look and feel, at least to me. No need to make DPS-calculations, etc. because you can make nearly everything work.

I also thought of a whip as a new melee weapon and thought of having a entangle option aswel. However I though of having the normal attack a whipping attack, change a 360 attack and the block key to entangle (i can't imagine blocking with a whip. The enemy would remain entangled as long as you held down block however this would prevent you moving and drain stamina.

Another Idea I had was throwing knives, charged attack throwing multi blades in a fan and again the block could lock on enemies for the charge to hit. (hold the key and drift over the targets to lock on). The max number of lock ons equalling the number of blades.

I posted in another thread about a melee range primary/secondary which is basically a gun that launches a big metal spike into whichever poor sap that happens to be standing in front of you. Massive damage, limited ammo, short ranged, somewhat slow. Perfect companion for braton/aklato/akbolto.

I think the main problem with a whip is that, realistically, it's a bit of an "unstable" weapon.

Every strike will not be purely identical, as a small alteration to your swing will make the tip of the whip be in another place or at a far lesser strength. Compared to a sword, where a small variation just means you're going to cut through the guy at a slight different angle, a whip is a lot harder to master and use. I'm not too sure if what I am saying makes sense.... I hope it does.

I also don't see the point in throwing knives. You already have two ranged weapons, why would you want a third one?

I also don't see the point in throwing knives. You already have two ranged weapons, why would you want a third one?

We also have 5 different swords now, so why not more ranged weapons? ;)

But the throwing knives would be fairly easy to master, point, remember the bulletdrop, click... Not really what I am looking for with this thread

We also have 5 different swords now, so why not more ranged weapons? ;)

But the throwing knives would be fairly easy to master, point, remember the bulletdrop, click... Not really what I am looking for with this thread

You have a bow. :P

Maybe there could be a weapon like a circular axe on a chain? I tried to make a sketch, but it just didn't come out right. :(

Eclipse chain axe:

Looking like a 3/4th circle of pure cutting edge, folding to fit where the glaive fits now, this weapon would provide extended melee reach and a tool against crowds of enemies at the tradeof of weak normal damage and inability to shoot while it's in the air.

Upon tapping F warframe would utilize it in a brass knuckle fashion, dealing 35 normal damage in a close range, with third hit in the chain resulting in a wide slash of the axe on it's high-tension 'chain', connecting to multiple enemies much like scindo and Bo, resulting in guaranteed stagger. As well as the groundpound and finishers.

However, charged strike would result in launching the weapon much like glaive, though with limited range. Upon reaching the range, or hitting a target and dealing 100/200 armour ignoring damage and guaranteed knockback if it's still alive, the chain/tension cord would begin to retract, pulling the weapon back in a controllable fashion, dealing same armour-ignoring damage to anything player manages to swing or target it at. Tapping F while it's in the air would result in an immediate return, holding F while moving the mouse would result in in a controllable slash, making the player think about it's speed, since it would allof to keep it in the air, or lead to straight fall and immediate return.

Obviously, slide attack would employ the axe to damage every foe in reach greater than that of a scindo even... With a tradeoff of the damage actually being limited to a circle, rather than normal all-round AoE.

[edited it to look less like OMYGAWDIHAZANIDEA!]

Edited by GTG3000