The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Tutorial/quest Ideas] Art Of War Quest

(PSN)MoRockaPDX

The initial tutorial is a massive improvement over the past renditions, but still leaves a number of areas to be sorted out by new players, or seek answers elsewhere. Yes, some if not all this information, like faction specific damage vulnerabilities, can be learned from places like the codex. However, this doesn't always jump out at new player, nor is this the best learning method for many people. What follows are suggestions for various ways suggested topics could be introduced to new players. 

This new quest becomes available at the end of the tutorial and after Once Awake quest is complete. The new quest is called, Art of War.

Introduction:

Ordis, fretting over the rather disheveled state the Liset, and the Operator, decided to take it upon cephla-self to prepare the operator for the battles to come. Dusting off a mostly intact, but ancient, copy of an ancient Earth, pre-Orokin-era war treatise, and adapting it to instruct the Tenno on how best combat the threats that will be coming. 

Ordis Says: 

"So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.

If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.

Wise words from Sun Tzu's, the Art of War."

Timeline Begins

Art of War Part I Begins

Ordis goes onto explain that the Grineer grunts rely on rough ferrous armor that is vulnerable to weapons with high puncture. (At this stage the player will likely only have MK-1 weapons, but equipping a puncture heavy weapon is only a suggestion.) Ordis further explains that the Corpus utilize puncture mods to fight the Grineer. Ordis, has isolated a corpus ship that is filled with crewman that have the desired puncture mods waiting for the Operator to just relieve them.

Step 1:

On the Nav Quest-tab, a mission marked by the "X" is made available (Difficulty 1-5). It is on a Corpus Ship tile set surrounding Venus. The mission is similar to exterminate, but has an increased Crewman spawns, vs, alternate enemy units. The mission doesn't complete until a No Return drops and is recovered by the Player who initiates the quest (Or, alternatively the Mod could be picked up by another player but is received by all squad members).

Step 2:

Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Grineer, "Skooom." (Player is tasked to go to the Arsenal and install the puncture mod, launching a tutorial on mods, polarities, and fusion upgrades.)

Step 3:

Next, Ordis identifies another Corpus ship, in this case one filled with Shockwave MOA's in transit. Mission structure is similar to the last one, except Shockwave MOA's are increased in spawn rate vs others. Completion, upon dropping and collecting Piercing Hit. 

Step 4:

Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Grineer.

Step 5:

Now, Ordis reveal another ship filled with, this time a Grineer ship around Mercury (Difficulty 1-5). A large number of Shield Lancers are stationed on the ship and can drop Flechette. Once the mod drops and is collected the mission is completed.

Step 6:

Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Grineer.

Step 7:

The next the player gets a message from Darvo informing the Tenno that he has heard that they have been on the hunt for mods exploiting weaknesses in the Grineer. He provides coordinates to a site where the Grineer are disposing of dangerous mods. Darvo says the security is too hot for him to smuggle them out, but instead of letting good merchandise go to waste, maybe the Tenno would like a crack at them. The mission is located on a defense tileset on Mercury (Difficulty 5-10, 10 Waves). 

Step 8:

Once returned to the Liset, the mission reward is revealed to be a cache full of faction damage mods versus the Grineer; Bane of Grineer, Cleanse Grineer, Expel Grineer, Smite Grineer. Ordis recommends the Operator install Faction damage mods when preparing to face the appropriate faction, for an extra boost in damage.

Art of War I Ends

Art of War II Begins

The Player receives a message from the Lotus:

"Tenno I heard Ordis has employed an ancient warriors treatise to help return you to strength. Your long sleep has obscured many of the lessons the Tenno have perfected, perhaps this ancient military philosopher can help restore some your prowess on the battlefield. 

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

I have sent Ordis the coordinates for several mods that will help you face the Corpus. Prepare well, Tenno and be Victorious."

Ordis Says:
"I see the Lotus and I share similar reading taste. Perhaps I can recommend several other books I successfully restored from my archive. I currently am enjoying the exploits of a young rising star at a wizard academy that was marked from birth by a cursed... Er, you don't think so? Never mind."

Step 1:
  A Corpus ship with a high levels of Detron Crewman and Volatile Runners spawning. Mission is complete when the mod, Concussion Rounds drops and is collected (Difficulty 3-7).

Step 2:
  Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Corpus.

Step 3:
  Ordis informs the Tenno of the coordinates to a site crawling with infested. High spawn rate for Infested Chargers and Infested Electric Crawlers. Completion upon dropping and collecting Rupture Mod (Difficulty 3-7).

Step 4:
  Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Corpus.

Step 5:
  The mission is located on a Earth tile set, and has an increased Grineer Trooper spawn rate. Completion after Disruptor mod to drop and collected (Difficulty 3-7).

Step 6:

Step 7:
  Lotus contacts the player, explain that she has discovered a cache of mods scheduled for destruction by the Corpus. Go to the site and claim them, then confirm the Corpus worst fears, turn these mods against them. The mission is located on a defense tileset on Venus, versus Corpus (Difficulty 7-11, 10 Waves). 

Step 8:
 The cache is full of the faction damage mods versus the Corpus; Bane of Corpus, Cleanse Corpus, Expel Corpus, Smite Corpus.

Art of War II Ends

Art of War III Begins

The Player receives a message from Frohd Bek:

"Tenno, though I do not see I to eye with my son all the time, we can agree that some forces are just bad for the bottom line. This infestation, unleashed by the Grineers complete lack of proper risk assessment threatens to collapse all my efforts. Most see your little guerrilla war as insignificant, but I believe a surgical strike against this menace might save me some serous damages, though I may only recoup in the long term.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.

Why so surprised Tenno. The Art of War's lessons apply to more then one kind of battlefield. I have located some mods that will assist you in expunging this infestation from my assets. Move swiftly Tenno, before our purposes cross out of alignment." 

Ordis Says:
"Operator, I have received the coordinates from Frohd Bek. I begin to see what brough Darvo to become a smug... er, work in the grey market."

Step 1:
  A Grineer outpost on Earth with a high levels of Gineer Elite Lancer's and Elite Frontier Lancer's spawning. Mission is complete when the mod, Razor Shot drops and is collected (Difficulty 6-10).

Step 2:
  Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Infested.

Step 3:
  Ordis informs the Tenno of the coordinates to a site crawling with a high spawn rate of Grineer Seeker's and Frontier Seeker's. Completion upon dropping and collecting Rupture Mod (Difficulty 6-10).

Step 4:
  Once the Player has returned to the Liset, Ordis instructs the Operator to apply the mod for improved effectiveness against the Infested.

Step 5:
  The mission is located on an infested Corpus ship filled with Infested Toxic Ancients with increased spawn rate. A full compliment of Corpus are engaging the infestation that will be neutral to the Tenno presence. Completion after Shedder mod to drops and collected (Difficulty 6-10).

Step 6:

Step 7:
  The Player receives a message from Doctor Tengus:

"Of all those in the army close to the commander none is more intimate than the secret agent; of all rewards none more liberal than those given to secret agents; of all matters none is more confidential than those relating to secret operations.

Words and wise as ancient, don't you think Tenno? The Infestation is proving to adaptable and virulent in the wide open solar system to guarantee containment, let alone eradication. Perhaps armed with this cache of mods you can prevent a pandemic."

The mission is located on a defense tileset on Earth, against infested. (Difficulty 8-12, 10 Waves). 

Step 8:
 The cache is full of the faction damage mods versus the Infested; Bane of Infested, Cleanse Infested, Expel Infested, Smite Infested.

Lotus Says:
"It seems the Art of War has made spread far and wide. No wonder are enemies are so dangerous. You must immerse yourself in the Ways of the Tenno, they served you in the past, and they will be needed to overcome these challenges. And remember, I am always with you.

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."

Art of War III Ends
Timeline Ends

If killing enemies until the mod drops is not considered realistic, then the objective could be replaced with a cache contain the mod in question, similar to the Corpus raids Darvo sends you on.

Melee damage type mods are rare, and would probably make mission take to long to complete, while waiting for them to drop, or not appropriate for a guaranteed drop from a cache. Not sure what to do about it.

Either included in this quest, or in a subsequent quest, elemental and combo element mods can covered. Teaching the player the effective applications, and possibly providing the necessary mods.

This seems like a simpler structure, than my original vision of a more immersive and theatric version filled with cutscenes.   I haven't seen anything other than short cutscenes since the profit. I can understand why too, as the time and energy can be better spent bring everything else in the game more attention. But, I do miss those windows into the Warframe Universe.