Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ok, You Need To Make This Stuff More Intuitive.

KyRoS37

The only thing I agree with the OP is the MOD systems needs some explaining.  I get tired of explaining to all my friends who recently join on how the mod system works.  Also basic wall running.

The rest of the basics are VERY intuitive. 

You run, you jump, you follow a map, you swing your sword, and you shoot a gun.

Edited by Spinner187

The only thing I agree with the OP is the MOD systems needs some explaining.  I get tired of explaining to all my friends who recently join on how the mod system works.  Also basic wall running.

The rest of the basics are VERY intuitive. 

You run, you jump, you follow a map, you swing your sword, and you shoot a gun.

i agree! very simple stuff....mod system has many guides...i posted a few up on this thread before

Surely the tutorial needs some revision. Heck, I can barely remember the tutorial, and I'm not even a veteran.

A suggestion for improvements for the current tutorial;

Let us replay the tutorial. As it is now, that isn't even possible...once you have done it, you can't go back and retry.

Let us choose different types of tutorials through a menu in the training area, akin with the mastery tests, but with the relevant topics, such as hidden moves, parkour, strength and weaknesses on some enemies, etc.

It may be "simple", and I figured it out myself, but it clearly should be in the tutorial.  If they teach you how to move (as if I don't know), they obviously should teach you to use the unique mod system that is the only way to improve your weapons and warframes in the entire game.  Looking up guides for how to equip and use an ability is NOT a solution.

I've mentioned the lacking tutorial a great number of times now. i did too quit, not because there was no tutorial, but because the tutorial was so bad that i got lost in it and couldn't finish it (alt+f4 the #@*&$@ and never start again) i then started to play again because a friend got into it.

I'm sorry, what exactly have you been playing in 1978? Please, I'd like to have at least 1 game title.

Seriously man, haven't you ever heard of the arcades? You may be too young to know what those are.

What blows my mind is that you were smart enough to do the math and count back to 1978, but you weren't smart enough to do a little research on the interwebs before you challenge someone on their statement, in turn making yourself look silly.

GOOGLE some arcade games of 1978, and while you are at that look at the history of video gaming at home and discover how far back video gaming goes. There was video games before the XBOX..for reals bro

Here let me enlighten you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

Really no need to try to posture someone who is probably 20+ years older than you and at the same time your question is very off pudding from the point of this thread...we're discussing the improvements that need to be made to Warframe, not trying to fact check the OP's video gaming history.

=) Have NICE DAY.

Edited by 2ply

I've been gaming over 35 years. I've played about everything. You have a nice little game here, but I had a whole group quit out because we couldn't find our way out of the first level. Then I had to have a friend tell me how to equip decoy on Loki... This stuff should be explained in-game. I'm a very generous and forgiving guy. I've spent money on EVERY single F2P game I've played and like. I'm liking the combat, but you guys seriously need to improve the information flow. No need to flame, but do so if you want. I can tell you though that most people I play with would play 5 mins and say screw this if they got stuck. Poor, poor design for the introduction guys. I hope you can improve the "new player experience"... this has been the downfall of sooo many games.

"Sorry old timer but you got to learn fast. If you can't keep up don't step up." That's what a douchebag would say. I titally agree with ya dude. Even I felt a bit confused of what to do and how things work, but I for one learn things very quickly. While their slowing building their game through the Beta stuffs, they should take some time to come up with a tutorial or walkthrough in game showing you how to do this and what that does.

If you want to play then you'll learn and figure it out.

Anyone who gets frustrated enough by the menus and quits has problems, and warframe isn't the cause of *those* problems.

Go watch a youtube video, lookup the wiki, ask a question on the forums. If you can't cope with that amount of stress I'd seek counseling.

I can tell you though that most people I play with would play 5 mins and say screw this if they got stuck.

Saddening. Most players nowadays appear to be far too used to having everything explained. As others have said, patience is all that is required to understand the game. Personally, I had no issues whatsoever.

I would recommend waiting until the game gains gold status if you cannot invest time into learning the mechanics. When all mechanics are set in stone, the developers will probably spend time on explaining them in more detail ingame.

I've been gaming over 35 years. I've played about everything. You have a nice little game here, but I had a whole group quit out because we couldn't find our way out of the first level. Then I had to have a friend tell me how to equip decoy on Loki... This stuff should be explained in-game. I'm a very generous and forgiving guy. I've spent money on EVERY single F2P game I've played and like. I'm liking the combat, but you guys seriously need to improve the information flow. No need to flame, but do so if you want. I can tell you though that most people I play with would play 5 mins and say screw this if they got stuck. Poor, poor design for the introduction guys. I hope you can improve the "new player experience"... this has been the downfall of sooo many games.

Mate relax its in beta and only been in the making for 1 year. If its that bad walk away untill Update 8 gets here. I have been gaming for 36 years aswell and im sure you agree that although its flawed/unfinished it has amazing potential. I played the game back a week ago as a new player on a new account and it was pretty terrible but i also saw the changes they had made since i leveled my main account and i was astonished in what they had done in such a short space of time. 

This game moves very quickly. Play with your online friends in Warframe and enjoy it as much as you can. Im sure youll be a lot happier soon :)

Shamelss advertisement here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bUP1rkdeY but this is what i do in my spare time while i wait for Update 8. With no end game and defense maps ruined by frost nyx and decoy throwing chars there isnt much else to do at the moment. I know itll get better soon though :)

What everyone seems to forget, most likely because they have been here long enough that everything has become intuitive is that there shouldn't be any reason to have to look outside the game to learn how the game is played.

You can call it the "downfall of gaming", but you're just being elitist.  It is lazy design to not put anything that explains how the game works, and just as lazy to have the characters in-game say "Push the A button to Jump!'

We are better than that in this day and age, and our design in our medium should reflect this.  If the game can't tell me why I should care about it, then why would I go an look outside of it?  If I don't care about this game, and the game can't tell me why I should I'm not going to go looking around the website to find a reason.

This game needs work, and I won't deny that.  Hopefully this issue can be fixed soon, or many possibly new tenno will be driven off by how poorly explained everything actually is.

I want this game to succeed. But I can't defend bad design.  I understand that it isn't as easy as a hotfix, so I just hope that Update 8 will have a fix for this.

it IS explained in game man. The tutorial is for that, and also there are numerous guides.

Okay, ill give you that, but... there are many guides and there are posts and even viddeos on this site that explain it...

It seems the tutorial could use some more content but to quit because it all isn't explained or you got stuck....................

Until then i recommend finding some player made guides for tips and tricks then practice in game till you get "it"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/37772-waste-walkers-recruiting/

If anyone wants a clan to help them out and point them in the right direction to get started. Visit this  ^

I agree too that the game needs help but, you can figure it out if you try.....its really simple

http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/warframe/intro-guide-to-warframe

https://warframe.com/game/quickstart

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Here are a few small guides, there are many more online that helped me for crafting and such...try em out if you get the chance

What everyone seems to forget, most likely because they have been here long enough that everything has become intuitive is that there shouldn't be any reason to have to look outside the game to learn how the game is played.

You can call it the "downfall of gaming", but you're just being elitist.  It is lazy design to not put anything that explains how the game works, and just as lazy to have the characters in-game say "Push the A button to Jump!'

We are better than that in this day and age, and our design in our medium should reflect this.  If the game can't tell me why I should care about it, then why would I go an look outside of it?  If I don't care about this game, and the game can't tell me why I should I'm not going to go looking around the website to find a reason.

This game needs work, and I won't deny that.  Hopefully this issue can be fixed soon, or many possibly new tenno will be driven off by how poorly explained everything actually is.

I want this game to succeed. But I can't defend bad design.  I understand that it isn't as easy as a hotfix, so I just hope that Update 8 will have a fix for this.

Games are a discovery process, so is learning.

Tutorials spoonfeed you information without context.

Games are a discovery process, so is learning.

Tutorials spoonfeed you information without context.

Did I say tutorial?

Pretty sure I just meant that I shouldn't have to look outside the game as I'm playing to learn how to play it.

That is rushed and lazy, plain and simple.

And as far as tutorials go, I'd say you're wrong on that part.

Portal is 90% tutorial and 100% amazing and has context the whole way through

Pretty sure I just meant that I shouldn't have to look outside the game as I'm playing to learn how to play it.

That is rushed and lazy, plain and simple.

And you don't have to look outside the game to know how to play Warframe, everything can be discovered by playing the game.

The exception here is two things: store descriptions (which hopefully will be fixed) and a clear description on what a catalyst/reactor actually does in the mod screen.

Everything else? Totally discoverable through gameplay as long as you are observant.

And you don't have to look outside the game to know how to play Warframe, everything can be discovered by playing the game.

The exception here is two things: store descriptions (which hopefully will be fixed) and a clear description on what a catalyst/reactor actually does in the mod screen.

Everything else? Totally discoverable through gameplay as long as you are observant.

Please excuse me.  Do you think I want the game to get easier?  I simply want the game to become more accessible.  I was able to understand most everything about the game pretty easily.  Nothing in this game is so hard to understand, but it isn't as intuitive as some may think.

I can grasp most new features quickly, but I've been playing for a while and I just look for what has changed.

I'm not asking for a tutorial, but I do think that mercury should be the one system that doesn't have procedural generated levels, at least for the first couple.

These should be used to try and help players that aren't familiar to Warframe's mechanics learn the basics.  I shouldn't need someone else to tell me how to wall-run.

I get that it isn't the focus right now, that is very clear.  But for this game to become more accessible (not easier) then there needs to be a less harsh learning curve for mobility and what everything actually does.

Please excuse me.  Do you think I want the game to get easier?  I simply want the game to become more accessible.  I was able to understand most everything about the game pretty easily.  Nothing in this game is so hard to understand, but it isn't as intuitive as some may think.

I can grasp most new features quickly, but I've been playing for a while and I just look for what has changed.

I'm not asking for a tutorial, but I do think that mercury should be the one system that doesn't have procedural generated levels, at least for the first couple.

These should be used to try and help players that aren't familiar to Warframe's mechanics learn the basics.  I shouldn't need someone else to tell me how to wall-run.

I get that it isn't the focus right now, that is very clear.  But for this game to become more accessible (not easier) then there needs to be a less harsh learning curve for mobility and what everything actually does.

Then I am unclear what you want.

Wall running is discoverable ingame, yes it takes a bit longer, but thats the point of mastering the game and discovering its mechanics.

Same goes for slash-slide.

You don't need to present these things as prompts, the game teaches you, you just either are receptive to the lessons or you aren't.

Hey, that guy just wallran! Omg, how could he have done that, maybe if I run close to a wall and press jump (motion upward)+sprint(additional velocity) it will work. EMERGERD IM WALLRUNNING!!

I mean i find it quite ingenious how the environment directs you and shows you pathways, as long as you slow down from "OMG ALL THE XPS".

Ceiling gaps have ramps and are scratched suggesting a motion upwards, destructible fans are sparking, areas accessible through wallruns have scratched walls, signaling exactly where you have to wallrun to reach them.

The maps are largely completely linear and require zero exploration. In fact, the map marker system actively hinders gameplay because you are fixated on the minimap instead of your surroundings. 

The map designs start simple and become more complex, controlled by the tile system.

"Intuitive" is either "easy to understand" (which you said the game is) or equal to "instinctive".

But for instinctive design to work, your player needs to have instinct.

The superior design works on perception and discovery.

What -exactly- needs to be made clearer in design that is not discoverable by being perceptive?