Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boss Fights: More Jackal, Less Vay Heck

k8Faust

Just wanted to pop back in and say that I'd like to see more fights allow for clever use of the environment. For instance, the breakable windows? A double-edged sword that effectively cripples a boss and gives the advantage to the player(s), but time-limited--due to shield and health drain--so the player(s) must be ready to quickly lock it back down. Speaking of hacking, this could also be used to turn on hazards such as turrets and laser barriers to give the player(s) advantage; they wouldn't ID the player(s) as friend, but they wouldn't ID the enemy as such either.

Another example would be using Infected boomers (the explosive fellas) to stun and cripple a boss that is otherwise immune to knock-down and interruptions. So, imagine a charge-happy Golem who summons a swarm of boomers; again, the boomers are a double-edged sword that could make life very difficult for the clumsy player(s), or give an advantage to the clever player(s). Such a tactic could be employable with toxic crawlers as well. For this fight, I think it would also be very cool to make the room as pitch black as possible, with Infected fireflies providing light. (I encountered an Infected mission once where even flashlights were off... Very spooky and VERY cool, even if it may have been a bug.)

For Jackal, who brings out mine-layers, the player(s) could use the mines as a trap for Jackal. The mines wouldn't damage him, per se, but they would--again--stun him and leave him open to counter-attack. Whereas, normally, he'd be very relentless with his chaingun and stomping. I'd also like to see Jackal employ a directional knockback... Think: stomp-attack with a directional cone; you'd be safer from the attack the closer you are, but more vulnerable to a follow-up from Jackal. As for the pillars, if they were actually destructable by Jackal, then they wouldn't be as exploitable as a permanent means of evading his attacks; still a viable place to take cover, but best to use only when absolutely necessary, else-wise be stuck with no cover whatsoever when it really is needed.

For encounters like Vay Heck, I think it would be great if the entire mission were one long boss fight that drags on from one room to the next, with Vay Heck employing increasingly difficult troops in dwindling numbers, culminating in a fight with Vay Heck himself where he isn't some super-marine, but no stronger than your average elite troop. In fact--upon infiltration--the player(s) could be greeted by Vay Heck in a protected position--like the control room that Capture targets are placed in--with Grineer marine grunts taking up position on the catwalks. After conquering this room, the player(s) move on to the next, chasing after Vay Heck, where he has shield marines paired with shotgunners and riflemen in a tight corridor, or series of corridors--like the area housing the navigation systems for Sabotage. Then the storage room--with ventilation access--encounter, where melee marines are paired with Commanders, who teleport the player(s). Then the hangar encounter, with inferno marines--those who fire incendiery rounds--on the upper levels. Lastly, Vay Heck himself, who uses teleport, shield barrier, melee, and an incendiery launcher on the large catwalk--that many Assassination missions take part on.

I think, basically, that boss encounters should have a fair bit more scripting to them. Other missions can be as random as ever, but boss encounters are most memorable--and enjoyable--when they are scripted, so that even though they are predictable, they are no less difficult or boring to slog through time and again. In fact, the more difficult they are--remember, never cheap out and simply make things hurt more as a means of increasing difficulty--the better, as these are bosses, not grunts, and should feel like such.

• 1 month later...