Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Fusion And Fusing Different Ranks

tvih

Didn't find anything after a quick search, and I'm not sure if it's a by design or not. Regardless of such pre-existing information, this will serve as my feedback on the matter.

Even having done my fair share of fusions so far, only now - yes, I can be a bit slow at times - that the fusion ranks don't work logically in a sense. For example, two rank 0 mods fused makes a rank 1 mod, and four rank 0 mods makes a rank 2 mod. Everyone knows that much. What I didn't realize in my folly was that two rank 1 mods don't make a rank 2, though the total number of rank 0 mods used to get there was the same (keep in mind that in this entire post I'm talking purely about fusing the same ability's mods, so no "cross-fusing".) The "loss" is probably about 15% in such a case. 

Why this sucks? Well, I've been fusing mods to make "intermediate" levels of them to use as weapons level up as well as to reduce the total number of mods cluttering my UI. So obviously were I to start fusing them together now like I've been doing before, I'd be taking a "loss" every time I fuse mods that aren't of rank 0. Plus now I have to start keeping a billion unranked mods in my inventory. Which is no fun.

It doesn't even end there. If you take the same exact mods but choose a rank 0 mod first and then apply random ranked mods to it, or by comparison choose the highest rank mod first and then apply to the other mods to that instead, the resulting level is VERY different. This, too, I only realized today. I wonder how many mods I've "wasted" in the past because of this.

Both of these issues are, well, a bit silly and illogical. Logically if 2xRank0 = 1xRank1, 4xRank0 = 1xRank2, then also 2xRank1 = 1xRank2, and so forth. You'd think the fusion process would have a notion of how many "points" has been used in the fusing of each individual mod so far, and that they'd simple be added together straight up without any loss regardless of what ranks they are, and regardless of what rank the mod that was chosen first is. But no. As it is if you want the full benefit of a mod you're fusing, you pick the highest ranked mod you have and add rank 0 mods to it. To reiterate, don't fuse mods that aren't rank 0 into another. Otherwise you'll be losing out on 15% or so. Of course sometimes the loss doesn't matter that much, but the rarer the mod is, the more of an annoyance it becomes and it also stacks up the way I've done my leveling so far.

All this is of course exacerbated by the lack of any official instructions - at least that I could find - on fusing that would explain the current way it works so that one could've read the guide and then know. It wouldn't remove the weirdness of it, but at least you'd know to do your fusing accordingly. One shouldn't have to rely on unofficial/third party sources for something like this, even in a beta (how do you know what's a bug you should report if you don't know the baseline?).

I hope I was even somewhat clear enough about what I'm on about and people understand the "issue" and can enlighten me whether it's designed to be like this. Even if it is, in my opinion it shouldn't be, but that might be just me. But for now I guess I just gotta suck it up and accept that I've wasted a big bunch of mods so far. Live and learn!

Edited by tvih

Well if they insist that people should use rank 0 mods when fusing, to make "storage" less of a pain they could at least change the weapon/warframe mod equip screen so that only one  card per mod of the same rank is shown - like if you have 10 rank 0 Piercing Shots, only one is shown, perhaps with a number added to indicate how many you have. After all you only ever equip one of the same mod for the same weapon at once.

But even with that I still don't see why a rank 1 mod should contribute less than two rank 0 ones. It doesn't make perfect sense.