The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Puncture Worthless?

Rabcor

I suggested in another thread that puncture values should be a multiplier of the damage.

Let's say you have a snipetron, right? The damage is 100 for the snipetron.

So here's the formula

Damage (raw damage) * Puncture Multiplier (100 x 0.030) = 3 (in meters), correct? So when you add 120% damage, the puncture goes up and scales appropriately, bringing the snipetron's puncture max to 6.6 meters. This also ensures that shotguns don't have insane puncture, because puncture is based upon individual projectile damage. Even with the Hek's maximized damage and maximized puncture utilizing this formula, it wouldn't go over 1.08m, thus allowing you to hit the guy behind the dude you shot, but still maintaining some semblance of balance.

That is a good idea up to a certain point. For example i have a kraken with 100% hornet strike and 100% multishot (fact), which means that when i fire i shoot 4 bullets with 90 damage each + armor pen and elemental damages. now imagine if your formula was applied to this, wouldn't that be a bit brutal? i'd probably be puncturing hordes of opponents if i just aim right. Which wouldn't actually be fair in defense missions, but otherwise it would be i still sortof agree.

However i think a better idea would be to make it scale with the armor penetrating damage percentage instead. it would even be possible to give all guns puncture, and then increase the puncture amount depending on armor pen %, but given how common the armor pen mods are it would take more work than doing just that, so it's not a feasible solution i wouldn't think.

Edited by rabcor

That is a good idea up to a certain point. For example i have a kraken with 100% hornet strike and 100% multishot (fact), which means that when i fire i shoot 4 bullets with 90 damage each + armor pen and elemental damages. now imagine if your formula was applied to this, wouldn't that be a bit brutal? i'd probably be puncturing hordes of opponents if i just aim right. Which wouldn't actually be fair in defense missions, but otherwise it would be i still sortof agree.

However i think a better idea would be to make it scale with the armor penetrating damage percentage instead. it would even be possible to give all guns puncture, and then increase the puncture amount depending on armor pen %, but given how common the armor pen mods are it would take more work than doing just that, so it's not a feasible solution i wouldn't think.

Take into consideration how expensive puncture itself is. To achieve that ultimate rating of a 0.030 multiplier, you'd be sacrificing 15 slots do do so, sacrificing some other mods in the process to accommodate that puncture mod.