The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lackluster Login Bonuses

Mourneblade

And so what will they sell so they can make money to eat while you play for free in your spare time?

...are you implying that the game is strapped for cash already? Like...we're selfishly playing a free game while the devs are wasting away in front of computers, and their families have resorted to cannibalism to survive?

Oh god, I'm a monster.

Regardless, F2P isn't meant to make money within the first few weeks of Beta - more like 2-3 weeks after release, once players have decided the game is worth the investment. Drowning the players in awesome items (Catalyst, Reactor) earns players' trust and loyalty, and motivates them to spend actual money on the game.

On-topic, I'd want 3* slot rewards to be pruned of 1-2* rewards, or just have the system taken out entirely. I can manage with farming Callisto and Alert missions, so it's not like logging in daily is even worth it.

The thing is, most people don't stay free players :|

Well okay provide a source if you're going to make that assertion but every gamasutra article I've read contradicts that idea. People who are not willing to pay money for the game are not willing to pay money for it. People who are will continually spend money due to the sunk cost fallacy. They've already spent money so the feel the need to spend more in the idiotic notion they'll somehow magically have more fun with the game by dumping more money into it. That or they feel they've already spent some money on the game so spending more isn't a bad idea. The key is to get as many players into the game who have disposable income, not make sure the people without it keep playing. If you can't post some logic or rational explanation for your aguments you're trolling due to lack of effort.

The crappiest generic localized eastern MMOs that come over here often are 90% marketing 10% gameplay and retentioon.

Edited by MegatechBody

...are you implying that the game is strapped for cash already? Like...we're selfishly playing a free game while the devs are wasting away in front of computers, and their families have resorted to cannibalism to survive?

Oh god, I'm a monster.

Regardless, F2P isn't meant to make money within the first few weeks of Beta - more like 2-3 weeks after release, once players have decided the game is worth the investment. Drowning the players in awesome items (Catalyst, Reactor) earns players' trust and loyalty, and motivates them to spend actual money on the game.

On-topic, I'd want 3* slot rewards to be pruned of 1-2* rewards, or just have the system taken out entirely. I can manage with farming Callisto and Alert missions, so it's not like logging in daily is even worth it.

...what the hell? Since when is there a designated time frame in which f2p is meant to make money? That doesnt make any sense. I don't understand how some people feel entitled to more when they're already giving something free on a daily basis albeit random. Until you actually spend money to support the company or for personal enjoyment, enjoy what you are given especially when something is free.

Oh god, I'm a monster.

If you gave me more catalysts/reactors, I wouldn't spend anything because I'd have nothing to buy.

Trust and loyalty... Nice. Here's a better answer.

"I have money. You have something I want. I'll trade you my money for your thing." = win/win

"Or I could just get the thing for free and keep my money." = win/loss

It was a dumb point. This is a free game, f2p games go on the premise that people will spend as they like, so more so than other business models, incentivizing people to login and stay logged in is important. The longer people play the game, the more likely they are to spend money.

There already is a chance for reactors in the login bonus :|

I feel like thats juse a juke (although I haven't actually seen it). Just like a slot machine. You shall never win

So they'll make more money by giving everything away for free. Smart.

Man, you really are thick. Who asked to get everything for free? Post your source or kindly stop making ridiculous presumptions. The only thing anyone has asked for is a reworking of the system. I'll even go as far as to say they should take away Warframe rewards and replace that with crafting resources and parts, so they still stand a good chance of people spending cash to get the other missing parts if they have everything but a blueprint. Come down off your pedestal already. Your arrogance is nauseating.

Man, you really are thick. Who asked to get everything for free? Post your source or kindly stop making ridiculous presumptions. The only thing anyone has asked for is a reworking of the system. I'll even go as far as to say they should take away Warframe rewards and replace that with crafting resources and parts, so they still stand a good chance of people spending cash to get the other missing parts if they have everything but a blueprint. Come down off your pedestal already. Your arrogance is nauseating.

More ad hominem please, you're really good at it.

Edited by KGeddon

It doesn't really count as ad hominem if he's pointing out something you're doing, rather than just trying to insult you to lower your credibility.

Everybody goes to vegas and puts money in slot machines.

They get a non-winning combination.

They complain.

Or another example.

You buy a candy bar with a sweepstakes.

It says inside you are not a winner(or more recently, that you are not a winner and gives you a code to put in along with your address. You are still not a winner and are now on a mailing list)

You complain.

This is complaining when things are working as intended. I could really care less when it comes up with 500 wasted xp on my frame. I didn't even have to do anything to get the wasted xp. It's a game. Play it. Get 500 wasted xp on your frame by shooting 10 cameras in a corpus level.

Well I will say this. I've played quite a few games that had giveaways and prize wheels that awarded cash shop items to players for something trivial. Most of these though were MMO's and the purpose basically was to essentially whet someone's whistle on CS items. (usually various boosts but sometimes consumables or other things). Reason being in a sence it gets some players started in spending real money on the game that wouldnt have otherwise as it gets them hooked on the boosts or consumables offered or gets them started on spending which has the effect of rolling a snowball down a hill. You'd actually be suprised how often it works. The thing now is theres little content due to the early stage of the game.

Well okay provide a source if you're going to make that assertion but every gamasutra article I've read contradicts that idea. People who are not willing to pay money for the game are not willing to pay money for it. People who are will continually spend money due to the sunk cost fallacy. They've already spent money so the feel the need to spend more in the idiotic notion they'll somehow magically have more fun with the game by dumping more money into it. That or they feel they've already spent some money on the game so spending more isn't a bad idea. The key is to get as many players into the game who have disposable income, not make sure the people without it keep playing. If you can't post some logic or rational explanation for your aguments you're trolling due to lack of effort.

The crappiest generic localized eastern MMOs that come over here often are 90% marketing 10% gameplay and retentioon.

Pretty much every gamesutra article I've read has pointed out that long time players will eventually spend money at one point :|

Once they've become invested enough in the game they'll eventually spend money, if they don't, it just means the company hasn't built their pricing correctly.

The need to get new players is just so that you have a chance at getting more players who get invested in the game or make impulse purchases.

The thing is, making login bonuses slightly better isn't going hurt anything. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Replacing ammo packs with crafting materials and making xp bonuses only to relevant weapons isn't going to break the bank.

Edited by Aggh

Everybody goes to vegas and puts money in slot machines.

They get a non-winning combination.

They complain.

Or another example.

You buy a candy bar with a sweepstakes.

It says inside you are not a winner(or more recently, that you are not a winner and gives you a code to put in along with your address. You are still not a winner and are now on a mailing list)

You complain.

This is complaining when things are working as intended. I could really care less when it comes up with 500 wasted xp on my frame. I didn't even have to do anything to get the wasted xp. It's a game. Play it. Get 500 wasted xp on your frame by shooting 10 cameras in a corpus level.

Oh I love analogies. Here's one.

A gas station decides to award people who fill up their cars every day using their station. The reward is a random item for their car, such as a single tire, a gallon of gas, a set of tire stem caps, an antenna topper (one of those smiley face ones), or a single wiper blade, but 1 lucky person out of 100 will win a brand new car or a free turbo charger!

This is the real world equivalent of how the bonus currently works. Every now and then, someone wins a new car, but most of the time everyone gets tire stem caps or a gallon of gas for a car that is already full.

Edited by Mourneblade

Oh I love analogies. Here's one.

A gas station decides to award people who fill up their cars every day using their station. The reward is a random item for their car, such as a single tire, a gallon of gas, a set of tire stem caps, an antenna topper (one of those smiley face ones), or a single wiper blade, but 1 lucky person out of 100 will win a brand new car or a free turbo charger!

This is the real world equivalent of how the bonus currently works. Every now and then, someone wins a new car, but most of the time everyone gets tire stem caps or a gallon of gas for a car that is already full.

My car only holds 15 gallons. If I could get a free gallon, I'd bring a gas can to hold the extra gallon.

This system is AWESOME!

edit::BTW, 1 in 100 people win a car? DOUBLE AWESOME!

editedit:: BTW, if I logged in every day for a year, I could get THREE CARS! Where do I sign up?

Edited by KGeddon

My car only holds 15 gallons. If I could get a free gallon, I'd bring a gas can to hold the extra gallon.

This system is AWESOME!

editedit:: BTW, if I logged in every day for a year, I could get THREE CARS! Where do I sign up?

That is not how probabilities work.

This system is AWESOME!

Ah, he has jokes now. Masking your lack of a valid rebuttal with facetiousness. I believe that you believe that you're point of view is more important and relevant than it actually is. Tragic.

Ah, he has jokes now. Masking your lack of a valid rebuttal with facetiousness. I believe that you believe that you're point of view is more important and relevant than it actually is. Tragic.

You said that your analogy is how the login rewards currently work.

They're giving away cars(1 in every HUNDRED??? O_o), free gas, and a free turbo charger(not even sure how that works). This is far too generous. People gotta make some money somehow.

I suppose I should have simply gloated and said I win, since you so nicely won my argument for me.

Maybe if it were 1:17,000,000. However, it's 1:100. Doesn't require a huge sample size bro.

If you have a 1 in 100 chance of winning something, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will win 3 macguffins over a 300 day period. Again, that is not how probabilities work; every day is the same 1:100 chance, you don't build up to 99:100 on the 99th day.

If you have a 1 in 100 chance of winning something, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will win 3 macguffins over a 300 day period. Again, that is not how probabilities work; every day is the same 1:100 chance, you don't build up to 99:100 on the 99th day.

Maybe I will be unlucky and only win 2 cars. Or maybe I will be lucky and win 4.

Either way, I won a bunch of cars.

I believe that has a name, doesn't it? The Gambler's Fallacy?

Anyway, if the login bonus was meant to be a permanent feature (and I believe it is) then perhaps it would need to be reworked, especially when the game goes to open beta/launch. If it's temporary, then it's just to get us beta testers on so DE can get their data. I'm also wondering if this would be a priority for them if it is permanent. Either way, I've only gotten experience from it, but I do worry about the super-chargers being on there. As long as they're rare (and that rate can be subjective), I can't see the harm.

Edit: spelling mistake

Edited by TheRareZealot

You said that your analogy is how the login rewards currently work.

They're giving away cars(1 in every HUNDRED??? O_o), free gas, and a free turbo charger(not even sure how that works). This is far too generous. People gotta make some money somehow.

I suppose I should have simply gloated and said I win, since you so nicely won my argument for me.

Again, you fail to comprehend even the easiest of notions. There is no "win or lose" in this conversation. The fact that you would even suggest that confirms how juvenile your approach to this conversation is. Unless you have something to contribute, for example a suggestion on the bonus system that would make both developers and players happy, I'm done with this back and forth childish banter.

Besides, I would much rather enjoy feeding my newborn daughter at 1:30 am on just a few hours of sleep than to fight a fruitless battle with a random person I don't even care about! Good luck with your crusade and thread hi-jacking.