Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

<Underclocking Mods> (Mentioned On Livestream)

DreadScourge

Thank you all for supporting this, we've been directly addressed!

This topic was mentioned in the livestream. Unfortunately, the DEvs wish to make this process destructive, meaning you will lose your rank (and cores invested) upon reducing a mod's power capacity. However, they still agreed to consider the feature, though I am not sure how many people will go for it with such a high consequence (I wouldn't want to upgrade Serration again after dropping it from max level). Thank you, community, for making this topic heard. Perhaps in the future, with proper feedback, this feature will be enjoyed in the way most convenient to the player, even with consequences involved in the end.

For the record, I would gladly use resources to downgrade/upgrade mods. I think losing all progress for the level is a bit too far, is all. I am still happy they mentioned this!

Cerenth has made quite the interesting post on page 8.

Greetings, Tenno! Are you tired of upgraded mods that aren't critically important for your Warframe overshadowing your more important mods? Are you sick of having a level 5 and level 3 Fast Deflection mod, just because you have to make room for Flow on your Trinity and the level 5 Fast Deflection won't fit?

Well, Tenno, today is your lucky day!

I present: Underclocking Modules

This innovative new addition to your mods will allow you to actively regulate the power capacity of your upgraded mods to save you time, space, and precious fusion cores! 

Here's how it works!

As you can see in this picture, this poor Tenno needs a high energy pool via the "Flow" mod, but doesn't want to have to sacrifice all of his shield regeneration or find and upgrade a new Fast Deflection to 4.

underclocking1.png

Not a problem with our new feature! Simply right-click the mod and this little window will pop up with the solution to your turmoil!

underclocking2revised.png

As you can see in the "POWER CAPACITY" window, the "INCREASE" option is "grayed out" due to the mod already being at maximum power capacity. However our Tenno selects the "DECREASE" option and viola!

underclocking3.png

The Fast Deflection mod has been "clocked down" a level, now giving 75% shield recharge instead of 90%. Notice the red marker on the left side of the Fast Deflection mod, which shows its current "clocked" power capacity. As you can see at the top right, 1 power slot has been opened due to this process. Now the Tenno can finally upgrade that Flow mod!

underclocking4.png

There! The Tenno has sacrificed a bit of shield regeneration for more energy, and it only cost him an upgrade of Flow. He did not have to find and upgrade a new Fast Deflection mod, and at any time he can right click Fast Deflection and increase it back to it's original state, at no cost!

This process can also be repeated on the same mod to as far as the first upgrade to free up even more space.

Furthermore, as pointed out by Fredlicious, "clocking" down mods would enable Tenno to insert them into newer weapons/Warframes earlier, and "clock" them back up as the weapon's or Warframe's power capacity increases.

Thank you for reading this suggestion. If you would like to see this in-game and stop carrying semi-upgraded duplicate mods, please support this feature.

Update: Thanks to Akivoodoo's insight, this thread has been properly renamed.

The term "overclock" has also been removed and replaced - Thank you, everyone, for all of your feedback!

Revival: Fredlicious is apparently a shaman - I thank him for bringing the post back from the dead. I also sent this to a DEv who said she would pass it on to the others! So keep those fingers crossed! She even commented on page 4! Woo!

100 Likes!!! You guys are awesome!

200 Likes!!! Good lord I am honored, folks!

Edited by DreadScourge

I was literally about to post the same thread, but I couldn't figure out the right way to word it, so I'm glad someone came along and did it with pictures.

This is a really important idea because the current system results in the counter-intuitive strategy of not wanting to level up your mods for fear of not having enough capacity to equip a potential combination you haven't come across yet. Furthermore, it alleviates the problem of having to level up new weapons and Warframes without mods for several levels because all of your relevant mods require to much capacity at their current rank.

Furthermore, it alleviates the problem of having to level up new weapons and Warframes without mods for several levels because all of your relevant mods require to much capacity at their current rank.

I had not even thought of that! You have just made the idea better, good sir!

i would recommend a change to the name having overclocking and underclocking suggest that you would be able to make a mod more powerful for some cost and many new players would try to find that cost for making there mod more powerful not knowing its really a tool for more exprinced players to weaken tere mod, witch is something that might not make sense to a new player 

The underclocking feature makes considerable sense as then it's always advantageous to be upgrading your mods appropriately.

Might I suggest you remove the term over-clock?  It suggests running something 'above rating' which is not what you mean at all and I think muddies the water on your otherwise excellent suggestion.

Perhaps you should describe it in terms of down shifting\up shifting?  I'm sure there is a better term here though it's eluding me at the moment.

I just think Overclock will generate confusion on your point as it suggests inserting a mod and running it at a power level it hasn't earned yet.

I may just be splitting hairs of course.  

Excellent suggestion.

Perhaps you should describe it in terms of down shifting\up shifting?  I'm sure there is a better term here though it's eluding me at the moment.

Power Down?

Remove Rank?

Rank -1?

---

Also would we get multiple downranks or just by one level?

Might I suggest you remove the term over-clock?  It suggests running something 'above rating' which is not what you mean at all and I think muddies the water on your otherwise excellent suggestion.

I just think Overclock will generate confusion on your point as it suggests inserting a mod and running it at a power level it hasn't earned yet.

I may just be splitting hairs of course.  

You are definitely not splitting hairs, my friend. I tried to find a better word for it, but in the end, I was more concerned about the visual appeal and explaining the process clearly. I appreciate and agree with your criticism, and in honor of it I have added a note to the bottom of the post. Thanks again!

A part of me likes this idea.

Another part dislikes it.

With this style of thinking you would usually only need one mod of any type, and if that was the system then it'd also be nice to have some sort of setup so that you don't have to constantly remove mods from items and then put them on the other item you want to use them on over and over again everytime you wish to change weapons or warframes.

BUT i noticed that getting all the stuff you want doesn't take really too long, one cool thing is that we have the option to remove mods and place them on other items instead, but we also have the option to not do that. We also have to make the conscious decision that "if i max out this mod, theres a chance i'll have to sacrifice it later for something else" or "i don't want to max out this mod without having a lower level backup" and "i hate switching mods between my warframes and weapons, so i'll just try levelling many mods on each different item i've got till i don't even have to do it anymore"

which adds to game replayability. It's important in a game like this to have something to keep you playing, and right now these mods, and those defense missions alongside with the mods (i mean where better to farm mods right?) are the only thing that still has some kind of grip on me in this game.

Is the idea good?

Yes.

Should it be implemented?
Possibly later when enough late-game content has been added to make up for the huge hours of gameplay that trying to level up mods, and level them up again brings to the game.

Sortof related though, i thought that a better idea would be to allow players to pay like 3 plats for making a mod equip-able on all items that can use it even if it's already in use on an item that's not being used. This would mean income for the developers, and it would also mean that the impatient types or people who just don't have the time to level up multiple mods can simply pay instead to make their life a breeze.

Edited by rabcor

Should it be implemented?

Possibly later when enough late-game content has been added to make up for the huge hours of gameplay that trying to level up mods, and level them up again brings to the game.

Sortof related though, i thought that a better idea would be to allow players to pay like 3 plats for making a mod equip-able on all items that can use it even if it's already in use on an item that's not being used. This would mean income for the developers, and it would also mean that the impatient types or people who just don't have the time to level up multiple mods can simply pay instead to make their life a breeze.

As for the first part of your response (I thank you for your time, critique and opinion), these hours of gameplay are tedious to me, personally, but you have a good point about it being time spent on the game. However, I spend a lot more time in the game trying new frames and weapons and adding "clocking" to the game would increase the desire to try more Warframes and more weapons, since having mods "clocked" down and able to fit in new equipment will give players a feeling of past accomplishment; they won't have to retrace their steps in leveling mods.

As for the second part of your response, this feature would not be something I would want platinum involved with - it's a pretty basic feature and should benefit everyone equally. However, if you want more money going to the DEvs, imagine how many warframe/weapon slots are going to be bought when players find out they can upgrade them quicker and have them be more effective in combat?

Edited by DreadScourge

to the idea of paying plat to make it equipable on all items i would have to say no, that would be one of those paying real money to unlock very simple things, like imagain having to buy your ability with plat? it is a very scary idea that you wouldent want in the game. The problem people seemed to be faced with is the fact that on one side you less play ability in the game even if its by alittle, having a max on mods dose give a chance of people maxing out all there mods then never using any other mods. The offset is the fact you have to move your mods around to use them on other things, people take this is a part of the game to make you want to make new mods, HOWEVER it shouldent be. this is an issue with tedious menu as compared to challenge  witch is what should be a driving factor in advancement. Making and trying out new mods should come from a more game play aspect and not an interface aspect yes if you allow for mods to be used on every frame and lower the lvl people will put them on every frame and lower the lvl to what they need, but are you really going to say its better to force people to have to take the time to mess with everything and make new mods so they can use a new frame? It isent because then people would rather just stay with there already high lvl frame "there is no reason to work on a new one cus this one already is perfect" to get people to play more you shouldent say "using new stuff is bad if you want to use it you have to go thro all this work its better to just start from scratch every time you want to do something new but do new things, keep doing new things and keep playing anyways" there should be more an attiude of "here is all these fun new things to try and new ways to use them its really simple do