Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Some Help With Purchasing A New Laptop For University

reaidstar

Honestly, unless you absolutely have to have it now, I would wait and save more.  Neither of them are really that great.  But the HP may be better.  I like asus but it looks like you may get more for you money with the HP.  I still have a 6 year old HP laptop that is still running, although I hardly ever use it,  but they can last.  But like I said, I would wait and save more if that is an option as laptops can be easily upgraded or at all, so you will be stuck with what you get. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Honestly, unless you absolutely have to have it now, I would wait and save more.  Neither of them are really that great.  But the HP may be better.  I like asus but it looks like you may get more for you money with the HP.  I still have a 6 year old HP laptop that is still running, although I hardly ever use it,  but they can last.  But like I said, I would wait and save more if that is an option as laptops can be easily upgraded or at all, so you will be stuck with what you get. 

What would you suggest instead?

I could go upto $650 max.

I'd say wait and search for another model.

But if you somewhat in an immediate hurry, take ASUS.

+ Pentium, even with its freq. cranked can't beat Core series. Although in this case, i3 is just slightly ahead.

+ RAM & HDD is easily upgradeable.

+ Core series' Intel HD 4400 is more powerful than Pentium's Intel HD. By Intel GFX's standard.

- Bluetooth's missing. Not really necessary, but it's up to you.

Contrary to Pharen's, my experience said otherwise (I've seen more HP/Compaq laptop got outlasted by ASUS). But it all comes down to how you treat your laptop though.

And why 15"? If you could, you should've just stuck to 14" since it's cheaper. Also the resolution is pretty much the same, so why bother?

I'd say wait and search for another model.

But if you somewhat in an immediate hurry, take ASUS.

+ Pentium, even with its freq. cranked can't beat Core series. Although in this case, i3 is just slightly ahead.

+ RAM & HDD is easily upgradeable.

+ Core series' Intel HD 4400 is more powerful than Pentium's Intel HD. By Intel GFX's standard.

- Bluetooth's missing. Not really necessary, but it's up to you.

Contrary to Pharen's, my experience said otherwise (I've seen more HP/Compaq laptop got outlasted by ASUS). But it all comes down to how you treat your laptop though.

And why 15"? If you could, you should've just stuck to 14" since it's cheaper. Also the resolution is pretty much the same, so why bother?

What would you suggest instead?

Hmm. Depends on your budget, you could even opt for an AMD based laptop. I know, that doesn't sounds good, especially concerning ther APU line, but it still an option.

Regardless of any of my main points, how about this one? http://bit.ly/14ouguo (I limited the search to 14" and still got this 15" laptop on the result. eBay sure is weird.)

It's probably better than the HP you searched, (even though it's its previous gen), but needs other's opinion on this, spec and legit-wise.
AMD is surely scarce on ebay.com.au (and the existing ones are low-end), and ASUS laptop there is dominated by ULV procs. Ugh.

Edited by Athros