Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Promoting-Ish) Like A Ninja - Stealth Mechanic Broken Down And Observed By Extra Credits

matrixEXO

About stealth mechanics and how it works as researched by Extra Credits:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/like-a-ninja

Sorry if this is violating the rights. Please lock this thread if you feel it's wrong to do so. I don't see it as anything wrong to promote another person's research about stealth, though, since it can be used to help the game improve and build upon a proper stealth system that can work.

Edited by matrixEXO

Ah extra credits. Generally good food for thought and discusion.

They make some good points about stealth but I did have to laugh at one part of their description.

They defined stealth as "making waiting engaging.."

Then deined the best stealth games success being largely due to "Youre never really waiting..."

LOL

I get what they mean, that the parts in between actually ganking a dude need to be fun and interesting.

That the puzzle of sorting out HOW to kill enemies and/or remain undetected is the underlying focus of the stealth encounter.

All true.

I just lol'd at the way they basically said "waiting but not waiting".

:)

EDIT:

Also, that stuff they said about a game should be just as engaging after youve made a mistake as it was before the mistake...

its true for ALL games.

Edited by Ronyn

One game that does stealth super well are the Batman: Arkham Asylum/City games. that is really fun and challenging.

Since when? It was practically all pow and less creeping from one area to another, in the videos that I see at least. Stealth is about motion through an area, hidden and undetectable, identifying enemy paths, elimination of possible threats to the location, completing the objective and finally getting out of there in the same motion as getting to the objective.

That's how I see stealth. What I am trying to point out is that this game is too... action-oriented to include any stealth systems of sorts without removing that some action from the game. Something some people might call it a detriment than a benefit in the current scheme of things.

Edited by matrixEXO

I'm still a little conflicted on how I feel the stealth should work in this game. On one hand you could have an arcadey stealth experience like in the older Metal Gear Solid games where it's very easy to speed run without being seen with the right knowledge of enemy behavior, or you could have a more hardcore Splinter Cell experience (as in Chaos Theory and before that, the new games suck) where patience and slow movement is what is rewarded

Since when? It was practically all pow and less creeping from one area to another, in the videos that I see at least. Stealth is about motion through an area, hidden and undetectable, identifying enemy paths, elimination of possible threats to the location, completing the objective and finally getting out of there in the same motion as getting to the objective.

That's how I see stealth. What I am trying to point out is that this game is too... action-oriented to include any stealth systems of sorts without removing that some action from the game. Something some people might call it a detriment than a benefit in the current scheme of things.

The Arkham games have brawling segments (when your enemies do not have guns) and stealth segments (when your enemies do have guns). The object of the stealth segments is not to escape undetected, but take out every enemy without being shot. They are also some of the best stealth sequences in any game, ever, both due to the large variety of tools placed at your disposal (in terms of gadgets and moves you can perform) and the voice acting for the enemies, which goes from bored or boisterous to pants-S#&$ting terror as you pick off their allies one by one because you are the Goddamned Batman.

I'd link you a Youtube video of it here, but to be honest every video I can find is either a speed record run (which gives you no time to appreciate the voicework) or an LPer who is just godawful at the game and talks over it.

The Arkham games have brawling segments (when your enemies do not have guns) and stealth segments (when your enemies do have guns). The object of the stealth segments is not to escape undetected, but take out every enemy without being shot. They are also some of the best stealth sequences in any game, ever, both due to the large variety of tools placed at your disposal (in terms of gadgets and moves you can perform) and the voice acting for the enemies, which goes from bored or boisterous to pants-S#&$ting terror as you pick off their allies one by one because you are the Goddamned Batman.

I'd link you a Youtube video of it here, but to be honest every video I can find is either a speed record run (which gives you no time to appreciate the voicework) or an LPer who is just godawful at the game and talks over it.

Oh, ok. I didn't pick either copy up because I am not the guy who likes Batman. I enjoy the movies, but not a person who likes the character called Batman. Not that I hate him either.