Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Energy Overhaul - Introducing A New System

Thypari2013

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9hqnbx1fphi0zh/Warframe%20-%20Energy%20Overhaul%20v0_2013_05_02.pdf

So I tried to design a new system that replaces the current energy system, because it has many flaws. Well, this is the outcome.

Warning! A lot of text.

I am very open to feedback, constructive criticism and suggestions from hardcore players, elitists, new players, and DE.

Edited by Thypari2013

+1 purely on effort alone.

agreed

After reading throught the whole things a couple times, i think this could really be a viable system as is, it would need tweaking  but that could be acomplished within a few weeks of testing, I really hope the DEVS take a serious look at this system and comment.

also i would like to add that including the current energy orb system or perhaps a new mod for solar power regen speed would help to make the system more efficient, though I do not think that both should be in place, I would prefer the mod or an artifact for it. a simple tweak to energy syphon would be sufficient.

Just as well this would be an excellent opportunity to take a closer look at individual environments paying specific attention to boss locations, infested bosses often being in the dark would make them harder to face do to the decreased solar regen. whereas corpus would be easier. So for instance perhaps a corpus boss that hunts in the dark that and is found in a very hard to see dark environment, or a infested boss that regenerates health really fast in the shadows or light (or corpus's sheilds) allowing the fight to be more complex and strategic so you have to keep the boss out of the light/dark.

I really think this new system has a great chance to incorporate more tactic based gameplay into the game without sacrificing the fast paced gameplay style that we all know and love while still leaving room for individual gameplay style to flourish. Also forcing you to keep up with the boss therefor reinforcing the current parkour system (meaning it takes more skill to play as a ninja) but also allowing multiple other ways to get around so those of us who aren't as good at moving around are able to keep up....

That was a mouthful, lol.

Edited by Veidgrim

Wow... that looks like a lot of effort great to see smth like this.

I think its too complicated though DE would have to make extensive tutorials and every player would have to be aware of the solar downtime of his skills, the state of the timer etc...

IMO every skill should generate up to X stacks of solar power in Y seconds per stack and every skill should use a separate stack. This would have nearly all your pro's and be more intuitive.

Edited by catalyst22

this is a perfect system,or at least, almost perfect. its not really that hard to learn, only to get used to. only one question, why "solar-power"? it has nothing to do with the sun or solar energy

I just needed a name for it that wasn't energy or power.

For the next version I include a new name and a story related design that makes sense.

Hmm, at first this sounded like a great idea, and I gotta admit you worked it out nicely, kudos. Thing is though, this would never run dry. Part of what makes a boss fight more challenging ( to me anyways ) is running out of energy and having to take out the last half of the boss by hand and gun. Right now there aren't always energy balls, I've reached for an ability on a couple of occasions to discover that I don't have enough energy. It might be an important dynamic of the game, otherwise I can just use my abilities indescrimantly in which case what bother with guns at all? With the solar system what keeps me from spamming abilities, falling back and waiting for the recharge and spamming abilities again? Theoretically under your system you could go through a map and never fire a bullet, or swing a melee.

Perhaps have the energy charge from damage dealt or something? Idk, it's a really big part of the game, you have to be very careful of uninteded consequences.

Great job Thypari2013 on fleshing out your system! I think it would be really interesting.

Also just as a side-note, about your con, the abilities aren't balanced anyway, so i don't think that it will take additional time to balance them. 

Furthermore, i think that the system is pretty easy to understand, you could make a little tutorial at the beginning showing you all these actions as a spectator, performed by an AI Rhino. Maybe put him in all of the 3 situation that you listed, to show a new player the most effective way of using the mechanic, shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.

Edited by Story4

I just needed a name for it that wasn't energy or power.

For the next version I include a new name and a story related design that makes sense.

Actually i think solar power is pretty good. Since the first mission is on Mercury, which is the closest planet to the sun, doesn't it imply that the Tenno base is nearby? And the best way to get unlimited energy that close to the sun is to actually use solar power. 

Edited by Story4

If I had to choose between the Energy System and a cooldown system, I would definitely choose the Energy System, without any doubts.

This idea, however....it seems so much better. I hope the devs take a look into this, at least for inspiration.

+1

Edited by CaligoIllioneus

I read all of that surprisingly (I didn't expect to :P) and am quite thoroughly impressed. 

The biggest issue DE would have with this is how tricky it would be to implement. 

Another possible issue I see right now is with long lasting abilities (namely Frost's Bubble)

For those saying that the new system would be too hard, it would be hard, but it would also be something that I've been protesting for which is something that makes the game unique; I have never heard of a system like this before in any game and think it could be amazing if implemented properly. 

This system would also allow pretty unique tuning for individual warframes that isn't currently allowed by the energy system. 

+1 until the End of the Universe. 

This is an excellent idea. It's a lot more interesting than the 1990's "I picked up a blue orb that gives me mana" mechanic.

I'm not sure why some people are finding this concept to be too complex. It's rather simple and somewhat similar to what we have now. The difference seems to be that the regeneration rate is increased (significantly), and every time you use a power, there is a cumulative period during which the Tenno does not regenerate power.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Hmm, at first this sounded like a great idea, and I gotta admit you worked it out nicely, kudos. Thing is though, this would never run dry. Part of what makes a boss fight more challenging ( to me anyways ) is running out of energy and having to take out the last half of the boss by hand and gun. Right now there aren't always energy balls, I've reached for an ability on a couple of occasions to discover that I don't have enough energy. It might be an important dynamic of the game, otherwise I can just use my abilities indescrimantly in which case what bother with guns at all? With the solar system what keeps me from spamming abilities, falling back and waiting for the recharge and spamming abilities again? Theoretically under your system you could go through a map and never fire a bullet, or swing a melee.

Perhaps have the energy charge from damage dealt or something? Idk, it's a really big part of the game, you have to be very careful of uninteded consequences.

I'm thinking this would add a caster element to the game which some warframes like Ember are more suited for. The gunplay and melee aspects are important to the game but not truly key.

Even though you put a lot of work into that, I dislike the idea.

It seems convoluted and unnecessarily complex.

I'm not happy with the energy system either but the solution should be simpler.

To get away from the whole pickup based mana they have now they are going to have to do something different and complex. A simpler fix for it would be just to have energy regen at a set rate and then just walk away but that would be a lame system to work with. That kind of system would just set the game up for power spamming. This system is close to that but with a tweak to keep the spamming from getting to bad.

Interesting idea and I do like the sound of it.

I'm guessing ultimate abilities would have much larger solar regen periods in comparison to the other damage/utility skills so they can't be spammed?

Just a thought, how about adding an "overcharge" mechanic. If your solar power reaches 0 then, if you use another ability, your abilities take energy from your shields (maybe 3 times more than solar power) and prevent the shield from regenerating for a few seconds. I think it would be useful if you need that one more ability to kill something. Not really sure if it would be good since it will make things more complicated but i think it will be a good mechanic to penalize you if you over-spam.

Edited by Story4

Just a thought, how about adding an "overcharge" mechanic. If your solar power reaches 0 then, if you use another ability, your abilities take energy from your shields (maybe 3 times more than solar power) and prevent the shield from regenerating for a few seconds. I think it would be useful if you need that one more ability to kill something. Not really sure if it would be good since it will make things more complicated but i think it will be a good mechanic to penalize you if you over-spam.

I think you struck gold with this idea, you just don't know it yet.

Your Shields are now the energy pool. Enjoy.

You can either have shields, or spam your abilities.

Congratulations, we just solved the energy problem.

I think you struck gold with this idea, you just don't know it yet.

Your Shields are now the energy pool. Enjoy.

You can either have shields, or spam your abilities.

Congratulations, we just solved the energy problem.

Yeah it would be really cool and simple to implement really. Just make abilities costs a little more, for example rhino charge 50 shields, iron skin 100 and ultimate 150 and you've got yourself a new energy system that is easily understandable and penalizes over-spamming.

But i like the OP's idea better honestly. Brings a breath of fresh air compared to other energy systems from other games IMO.

Edited by Story4