Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tutorial Overhaul?

Socksy

Everyone I've introduced to the game has found the existing tutorial to be... incredibly lacking when it comes to actually showing how the game works. They didn't know how to crouch, or that they could fuse mods together, or how the foundry worked, how to slide, nothing like that. It was even more fun when security cameras started showing up and they didn't even know about them.

Personally, I think an "Introduction" mission would be cool, where it's specifically made to show you all of the mechanics. Could work it in to some story building and to place the setting. Cinematic or some such thing. Alternatively, Lotus could point out the cameras, on-screen prompts (though annoying and easily missed) could work. But I'd go for the cinematic tutorial mission myself.

Just make sure it's skippable!

Hey there,

I'm fairly certain that DE is aware of the, ah, faults of the current tutorial, and will be looking into making improvements in the future. Definitely continue to post ideas of how you'd envision an improved tutorial - it could help the process a long a lot if you come up with something great!

Hey there,

I'm fairly certain that DE is aware of the, ah, faults of the current tutorial, and will be looking into making improvements in the future. Definitely continue to post ideas of how you'd envision an improved tutorial - it could help the process a long a lot if you come up with something great!

I'll ask my group what they think could be done better in it and post up what they come up with here. They're rather clever.

I posted a very long walltext about how missions could be improved a few days ago (which went ignored.  Got to learn to type less >.<) and I briefly included tutorials in there.

The first tutorial is fine, however I would add more "tutorial missions" (which could be obligatory, like you first missions, or apart - missions you can take/do somewhere else) and videos/demonstrations/clips on how some mechanics (fusion, BP) work. It's little stuff, but it'll make it more newbie-friendly, and eventually people won't be able to complain because they said "But I didn't know this". This will also help reduce the useless post count on the forums.

Examples of "tutorial missions" could be pre-made tiles where use of crouching, sliding, wall-running could be needed in order to pass it, at a very basic level (so that a player at least knows how to do it). The controls for the action could be displayed on the top of the screen according to his keybindings (will change if controls have been changed, or if controller or mouse/keyboard is used).

Perhaps the first time a player does a certain type of mission, a short clip/cinematic could be shown demonstrating (shortly, mind you) what the mission's about. I'd actually like to see what could come out of that.

Uh... I hope what I wrote made sense, it's a bit late and my brain's not being as good as it should.