The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Changing The Lex's Appearance To Match It's Firepower (Also An Idea For Lex Prime)

Daxien

Visual language. It's a VERY important thing in a video game.

In a videogame, there is more to looks than "does it look good", it also has to communicate its purpose. Using real world objects (even if they themselves are designed NOT to communicate their purpose) does this, because players have preconceived notions of what these things do. When making new objects, you either need to visually reference the relevant real-world objects very strongly, or communicate function through form in another way.

The Lex is a massive damage, extremely long range weapon. Its design communicates something like the Lato, except maybe a tiny bit slower and harder hitting.

TINY bit.

Its design doesn't take cues from appropriate real-world weapons, so instead we need to substitute communication from the SIZE and SHAPE. The shape tells us almost nothing, it is a bland weapon. The size tells us not to get our hopes up.

Clearly, the design is miscommunicating the actual role of the weapon.

Sure, a door needs to look like a door. Otherwise you don't know where it is. However if we are identifying what a weapon is used for in the game that is communicated by the description and stats. Visual (graphical) communication is not needed. People have stats and descriptions that give them far more information than what the model and skin looks like.

Good point though. I understand why people want it to be a big bulky pistol. I just don't see it following the general art direction for reasons stated above. Just saying it looks bland or underpowered is subjective. Some people assume small means less powerful. Some as myself don't.

So uh, I love the idea of the Lex being a revolver, but I cant help but to feel like it would be pretty stupid, considering the ammo modifiers, that is. Let's say the Lex starts with 6 bullets as default, wouldnt it be somewhat absurd if it somehow got like double that? The chamber would have to be huge, and as far as I can tell, it would not be worth it to start making unique chambers for every level of the mod.

I know, details, and I'd like to see the Lex receiving some justice, but still.

With maxed slip magazine, Lex gets 7 shot, and a lot of revolver have 7 shots 

686.jpg

Google a Glock 30. It is a .45 acp pistol that is so tiny that most people can't get their pinky on the grip and comes with a 10 round mag. Now check out The Judge by Taurus. It is a freaking shotgun pistol and it is not really that large considering its a well... shotgun pistol. Big weapons do not mean more damage. Weapons are bigger only when justified as in needing to contain pressures/heat or supporting the reliability of complex firing mechanisms. The lex is a slow firing semi-auto firing pistol rounds so yeah it would not need to be big.

I like seeing well designed artwork rather than the artistic cop out of just making something obnoxiously large. Lex looks awesome to me.

Since it is so accurate I could see the barrel being lengthened but the rest of the gun is not that unreasonably small if you want to compare it to the real world.

Lex just doesn't fit design wise in the game imho. First of all it appears to have a flashlight under its barrel, which just looks absolutely ridiculous. Also, it has 2 barrels, why? If you showed that design to someone for the first time they would think it's a burst fire short range pistol.

Lex is more accurate, does more damage and has larger recoil than Lato. So gun that fires larger caliber with better accuracy is smaller and shorter. Either Lex is too small or Lato's construction is a complete disaster. Maybe Lotus gave the arms contract of Lato to her second cousin or something.

BTW that shotgun pistol is actually pretty weak (especially the short version). It sounds nice on paper but it's worse than 45. acp not to mention magnum.

Edited by LocoWithGun

I'm on the fence about this.

On the one hand, I love the current Lex model. Like the Lato, it's sleek and very tactical-looking. It feels compact but powerful, due to its boxy profile on the top slide. On the other hand, I would love to see a more beefy, powerful-looking gun in the streamlined weaponry art style. I'm glad I don't need to make this decision!

Google a Glock 30. It is a .45 acp pistol that is so tiny that most people can't get their pinky on the grip and comes with a 10 round mag. Now check out The Judge by Taurus. It is a freaking shotgun pistol and it is not really that large considering its a well... shotgun pistol. Big weapons do not mean more damage. Weapons are bigger only when justified as in needing to contain pressures/heat or supporting the reliability of complex firing mechanisms. The lex is a slow firing semi-auto firing pistol rounds so yeah it would not need to be big.

I like seeing well designed artwork rather than the artistic cop out of just making something obnoxiously large. Lex looks awesome to me.

Since it is so accurate I could see the barrel being lengthened but the rest of the gun is not that unreasonably small if you want to compare it to the real world.

Comparing it to The Judge it's not really fair because as you said, it is a shotgun-revolver, that's something more like the Bronco, that looks the part. We think that Lex should be a revolver because of the way it feels shooting it; the recoil, the sounds, it all feels like a high caliber revolver in general. Why a high caliber and not a high caliber semi-auto? Because we already have a semi-auto in the game, the Lato, on it's 3 flavors, but no revolvers. Plus the 6 rounds magazine seals the deal.

In videogames, one assumes that the revolvers are slow shooting, really acurrate weapons that packs a punch; which is in the exact category where the Lex fits in, and it's the only handgun in that category for that matter.

It's all subjetive in the end, of course, but for me and the guys supporting the thread at least, Lex would be perfect for a revolver, and since we don't have any yet on warframe, I don't see why not re-skin it to look the part. More diversity on the weapons designs couldn't hurt anybody, and it would be easier to identify for any new player that's looking for a "Slow yet powerful" handgun.

The Lex Looks to me like a future Version of a desert eagle-like pistol - just smaller. I like the look of the Lex (though im not sure about the second barrel that Looks like a flashlight - someone mentioned it before).

I suggest a bulkier revolver-Skin-Option for the Lex ... inspired by the pics posted in this thread. Would be great!

The Lex Looks to me like a future Version of a desert eagle-like pistol - just smaller. I like the look of the Lex (though im not sure about the second barrel that Looks like a flashlight - someone mentioned it before).

I suggest a bulkier revolver-Skin-Option for the Lex ... inspired by the pics posted in this thread. Would be great!

No, it actually has 2 barrels right next to each other in the upper part of the gun, above the flashlight. I also took a closer look at Lato and it seems to have some kind of "flashlight" on it too, maybe it's tube magazine? Either way Lato looks way more hand cannony than Lex to me.

I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't have issues with Lex's size. I can see where people are going with this, generally in real life the higher the caliber the heavier the gun. Makes it easier to manage, due to harsher recoil. I wouldn't mind having an alternate skin for it, I would leave this as is. Nice to have variety instead of forcing one way or another.

Regarding Taurus Judge. Believe or not this thing is a pea shooter (when shooting .410). Unless you are firing from few feet away, this will do nothing but &!$$ you off. FIrst off the spray on this is insane outside of few feet and you can forget any stopping power outside of that range. Point blank, sure it do some serious hurt, but outside of that it's laughable. Thing just looks big and intimidating.

Edited by mmSNAKE

As long as it's something cool like the first few examples on the first page, and not some ~xXxVashTheStampedexXx~ Animu gunblade Revolver.

454B.gif

I'd suggest the Raging Bull, but even that might not be large enough to sate you.

Aww but I think an animu gunblade revolver would be right at home in warframe, Not as a Lex skin obviously but we already have an example of a melee weapon that has a ranged charge attack, it wouldn't be unheard of. 

I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't have issues with Lex's size. I can see where people are going with this, generally in real life the higher the caliber the heavier the gun. Makes it easier to manage, due to harsher recoil. I wouldn't mind having an alternate skin for it, I would leave this as is. Nice to have variety instead of forcing one way or another.

Regarding Taurus Judge. Believe or not this thing is a pea shooter (when shooting .410). Unless you are firing from few feet away, this will do nothing but &!$$ you off. FIrst off the spray on this is insane outside of few feet and you can forget any stopping power outside of that range. Point blank, sure it do some serious hurt, but outside of that it's laughable. Thing just looks big and intimidating.

I feel that having an alternative skin may be the best option, pleasing the whole spectrum of players, and seeing that other weapons already have an alterantive skin, it wouldn't be unheard of, nor hard for DE to make.