Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finding The Perfect Automatic Rifle...

Neselas

Good evening, gentlemen!

My MK1-Braton is nearly at its peak. I'm wondering at this rate which AR should I acquire next, so I made this topic where I hope the community can enlighten me about their choices (because as much as I've consulted the Warframe wikia, I still don't see the light out of this dilemma).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Go with a Braton if you're looking for a rifle that'll serve you decently in most situations, but be warned that other rifles do certain things better than it. Boltor simply for it's Armor Ignore, but it fires physical bolts that have drop and travel time. Burston for an accurate medium powered headshot machine (When used correctly)

Even though it takes a bit of work the Grakata melts face if you treat it right.

you know - there are several that say that.  But i've leveled my grakata up to level 20 with potato.

I find it VERY hard to rank up at this point.  By comparison the braton (which only costs 10,000- which is half of what I make in one mission sometimes!).  Seems to be just as good at dishout out the hurt - and being much more friendly on the ammo capacity.  Certainly better since the buff.  But still feeling pretty lacking compared to other rifles that fit the same category such as the gorgon.

It's not my mods.  I have maxed out every available rifle mod other than fire rate, mag capacity, and ammo capacity (mainly because I have those at values that fit my builds and have no need to max them out)  So I'm left to feel as if it is the gun itself that feels lacking.  Before you ask YES I am playing the crit damage/chance game with my mods.

Before you ask YES I am playing the crit damage/chance game with my mods.

There's your problem. Instead of using two mods (point strike, and vital sense) which if maxed would total 18 points you should use (if you are not already) split chamber which maxed costs only 15.

For a Grakata max crit mods would boost it's crit chance to 22.5%, and the crit damage to about 400%? Which is an appealing number BUT with split chamber it's a 90% chance to do double damage. Not only double damage but proc any, and all elemental mods twice.

you know - there are several that say that.  But i've leveled my grakata up to level 20 with potato.

I find it VERY hard to rank up at this point.  By comparison the braton (which only costs 10,000- which is half of what I make in one mission sometimes!).  Seems to be just as good at dishout out the hurt - and being much more friendly on the ammo capacity.  Certainly better since the buff.  But still feeling pretty lacking compared to other rifles that fit the same category such as the gorgon.

It's not my mods.  I have maxed out every available rifle mod other than fire rate, mag capacity, and ammo capacity (mainly because I have those at values that fit my builds and have no need to max them out)  So I'm left to feel as if it is the gun itself that feels lacking.  Before you ask YES I am playing the crit damage/chance game with my mods.

Grakata does best if you burst fire it. Personally i have shoot bound to both left mouse and scroll down, so it is easy to fire of consistent 5 shot bursts at enemies heads. 

I use Damage/AP/Penetration/Clip size. It makes it a monster vs crowds.

would go crit route but haven't bothered to potato yet.

I do grant that it chews through ammo like nothing else though, but that's what ammo packs are for.

Good evening, gentlemen!

My MK1-Braton is nearly at its peak. I'm wondering at this rate which AR should I acquire next, so I made this topic where I hope the community can enlighten me about their choices (because as much as I've consulted the Warframe wikia, I still don't see the light out of this dilemma).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Greetings and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your first post.

Each weapon has its own advantages and disadvantages that pander to a certain game-play or preference which are individual and different from user to user.

Latron is a semi-auto sniper-rifle that allows for good precision and has a small, 15-rounds, magazine which allows for repeated shots. It is in particular favorite for sharpshooters scoring headshots for quick kills.

Grakata is a short-range machine gun which showers bullets in a narrow frontal cone. It yields low damage and is inclined towards critical hits.

Burston is a medium-range semi-auto assault rifle that operates much like its real life counter part whereas each squeeze of the trigger will render a burst of 3 rounds being released. It is cumbersome to use for some due to its burst's producing a recoil 'kick' that hinders the accuracy of the second and third rounds. Although professional soldiers should find it quite amicable.

Braton (or Braton mk1) is an all around average full-auto assault rifle. It excels at nothing and fails at nothing.

Snipetron is a long-range sniper rifle. Highly accurate, very deadly. Tiny magazine and long reload time.

Gorgon is a medium-range gatling-gun designed to act as a "bullet hose" and sprays a wide area with suppressive cover fire. It is good for engaging shielded opponents, tearing their protection down quickly or for dealing with a weak mob. It requires a short time until its barrels reach their max revolution velocity.

Boltor is a short-range full-auto carbine that shoots bolts which ignore armour, thus delivering the full payload of their damage capability. It can operate at medium ranges but becomes a little inaccurate. The bolts often require lead-on in order to hit their target due to their, comparatively, lower muzzle velocity.

Hek, Boar, Strun are varying flavours of shotguns. Your mileage may vary.

Paris is the only silent weapon in the game, thus geared towards stealth. Shoots bolt-styled arrows which ignore armour. Functions as one would expect of a bow. Has no magazines, uses an arrow-esque quiver. Requires lead-on to land a hit. Stringing the bow to its maximum doubles the damage and velocity of bolt.

Best Regards,

...do you have that c&p'd somewhere?

I have written it once in response to a similar question.

Since then I simply copy and paste it whenever applicable.

Should the weapons be modified I'll adjust it accordingly.

Best Regards,

I am using multishot +90% (max) and serration + 90% (max) for certain because I use those 2 mods on all my rifles.

Forget the rest of the build

(also its not exactly level 20 - I think its level 24)

For the record, Serration max is 165% or something.

That said a potato'd braton with serration/multi/cold/fire/AP/fire rate (not all maxed) works miracles for me. easily plows through level 40+ mobs, and good accuracy. ammo does become a concern, but unless you're trying to shoot your way through wave 25 defense, ammo boxes will cover your needs. In short, get the braton, its cheap and will definitely tide you over until you rank up enough to get the more specialized guns.

For reference I have a potato'd latron gorgon braton and boltor at 30, boltor seems the most powerful followed by braton. boltor takes some getting used to, but its armor ignore tends to make it outperform the braton. gorgon has its place but is terrible in many cases as well, mostly due to bullet wasteage. latron is really fun but its just too much effort to land weakpoint shots with screen shake, roller balls and melee staggers so its usage is restricted to defense missions or low-mid level areas.

Crit chance + Crit damage + Multishot.

It makes the Grakata powerful.

Grakata's base crit chance is 7.5%, which isn't much more than other weapons (5%).  Even a max crit mod, it's chance to crit is still under 20%.  Doesn't seem reliable enough to me. 

If you like your Mk1-Braton, try the regular Braton.  It has nearly twice the fire rate and feels like a real assault rifle.

I'm not sure what kind of playstyle you like, but personally I've found a lot to like in the Latron. Does decent damage per shot, very accurate, and extremely ammo efficient - you'll never use an ammo box again if you're good with this thing!

Even though it takes a bit of work the Grakata melts face if you treat it right.

Down vote.  Down vote so hard.  All the effort to make grakata work can be used to make something with better ammo efficiency at least as good.

Depends what type of mission you are doing too and even in missions like defense there is a variation on what area you are doing the mission, in defense mission I like the Boltor and the Strun/Hek (shotguns) deepebnding on what I am fighting. Boltor is very good in short to middle range specially against armor. Hek/Strun are really good shotguns in short/middle range as well. But if you are doing defense mission to go beyond ten rounds I will go Boltor because of ammo.

Down vote.  Down vote so hard.  All the effort to make grakata work can be used to make something with better ammo efficiency at least as good.

Sometimes its not about what is the best, but instead what is fun.