The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

They Should Have Just Listed Up And Down Votes Seperately

LazyTemplar

Like on youtube, the forum should list upvotes and downvotes as seperate numbers.  Then votes wouldn't cancel each other out, and we could get an accurate representation of how the community actually feels.  

As it stands, even ideas with very little support can artificially appear very popular.  A post that would have gotten 27 upvotes and 130 downvotes will have a +27.  Completely inaccurate.  

For instance, I'm sure we can find 27 people who really liked grineer stun grenades.  

"Bring back Grineer stun grenades!"  +27  

Does that seem right to you?  

Like on youtube, the forum should list upvotes and downvotes as seperate numbers.  Then votes wouldn't cancel each other out, and we could get an accurate representation of how the community actually feels.  

As it stands, even ideas with very little support can artificially appear very popular.  A post that would have gotten 27 upvotes and 130 downvotes will have a +27.  Completely inaccurate.  

For instance, I'm sure we can find 27 people who really liked grineer stun grenades.  

Your math is awesome +27-130= +27 LOL it equals -103

Your math is awesome +27-130= +27 LOL it equals -103

Exactly.  It does equal -103.  Except in the world where dissenting opinions don't count.  Right now the voting system counts -103 as +27.  

Best accidental support for a position I have ever seen.  

The problem of downvotes is that you have people going around the forum downvoting stuff without even reading it, because 1) they don't like the guy 2) they don't like the idea 3) they propose something he's against and he doesn't want to tell the guy anything about it.
Removing downvotes wasn't bad, it avoided these things. On the other hand, if somebody says something other people don't like, he may not get downvotes but he sure as hell will get a LOT less likes than other people (or posts that people actually agree with).

I agree with having both the Upvotes and Downvotes enabled and visible, so that you can get the whole feeling of what the general public thinks.

Otherwise, it would probably be better if you removed Upvotes as well and just rely solely on people posting their agreement/disagreement, instead of only supporting one side and hiding the other end of it.

2) they don't like the idea 3) they propose something he's against and he doesn't want to tell the guy anything about it.

How is down voting an idea they don't like wrong?  That's the whole point!

Edited by Kyrkitao

I think the problem is that the ability to down vote decreases the amount of discussion where meaningful information can be shared between people within and outside the discussion.

Say, I write about how Burston is the best rifle in Warframe and got 853 down votes. Does that mean my calculation is off when comparing the damage output between rifles, or does that mean I am not using other rifles correctly, or do they simply don't like Burston?

I think, if the up/down vote system is staying, it should be in a form of petition that shows who agree and who disagree with the post instead of an anonymous poll where you just drop off an unexplained opinion then leave.

Okay, first we get people wanting a Voting system at the beginning....

Then we have people wanting the Down voting completely removed because of trolls down voting everything they see...

Now we have people that want the Down voting back but separated.....

COME ON PEOPLE! MAKE UP YOUR MINDS ALREADY!

Instead of complaining about it being useless at first, should have suggested making the down votes on the off side like now. Would have taken DE less time and people would complain less right now if people got their Priorities straight. 

Sorry to be rude but this is just annoying to see Complaints on the same thing over and over after DE has done what you wanted several times.

It's like Spongebob where he makes Plankton push a stove all around the room just to end up back at the start.

The problem of downvotes is that you have people going around the forum downvoting stuff without even reading it, because 1) they don't like the guy 2) they don't like the idea 3) they propose something he's against and he doesn't want to tell the guy anything about it.

Removing downvotes wasn't bad, it avoided these things. On the other hand, if somebody says something other people don't like, he may not get downvotes but he sure as hell will get a LOT less likes than other people (or posts that people actually agree with).

How do you know that people upvoting something have read it?  How do you know people who are downvoting haven't read it?  

Why would it be better if ideas received upvotes just because the poster was popular than if ideas received downvotes because the poster was unpopular?  

Why is it bad when people downvote something because they don't like the idea?  Isn't that the point?  

Why is not explaining why you're against something worse than not explaining why you're for something?  

Okay, first we get people wanting a Voting system at the beginning....

Then we have people wanting the Down voting completely removed because of trolls down voting everything they see...

Now we have people that want the Down voting back but separated.....

COME ON PEOPLE! MAKE UP YOUR MINDS ALREADY!

Instead of complaining about it being useless at first, should have suggested making the down votes on the off side like now. Would have taken DE less time and people would complain less right now if people got their Priorities straight. 

Sorry to be rude but this is just annoying to see Complaints on the same thing over and over after DE has done what you wanted several times.

It's like Spongebob where he makes Plankton push a stove all around the room just to end up back at the start.

Actually, while the idea of removing downvotes was being considered, people suggested listing both the numbers several times.  You can see records of this in the Website & Forum Feedback subforum.  I am simply taking this option to a larger audience now that the topic is immediately at hand.  

Edited by LazyTemplar

Actually, while the idea of removing downvotes was being considered, people suggested listing both the numbers several times.  You can see records of this in the Website & Forum Feedback subforum.  I am simply taking this option to a larger audience now that the topic is immediately at hand.  

I was referring to the majority of people who wanted it like this and now want it different again. To those who wanted it like this, you guys are okay... but seeing people keep changing their minds like this is just getting irritating. So far a mass amount of people who wanted the Voting Down remove now want it back like you're saying.

Plus, needed a little pun to go with it so yea... wasn't a 100% critical post, just expressing my opinion on the subject of how people shouldn't be making DE run in circles for what they want. :l

[Couldn't get the text right]
Clessiah, on 06 May 2013 - 2:36 PM, said:
Trial and error goes somewhere. Look at how Warframe is improving during its beta.

It's only Trial and Error to a certain Degree... this is just a jump around for everyone on the forums :l
Edited by Yanga

Thank you for that meaningful insight.  With such a wonderful contribution to this thread I'm sure you wouldn't have been downvoted.

How do you know that people upvoting something have read it?  How do you know people who are downvoting haven't read it?  

Why would it be better if ideas received upvotes just because the poster was popular than if ideas received downvotes because the poster was unpopular?  

Why is it bad when people downvote something because they don't like the idea?  Isn't that the point?  

Why is not explaining why you're against something worse than not explaining why you're for something?  

I think this (wo)man is correct.  Many of the arguments regarding removing down votes can be flipped.

I think now it's fine without a thumb down everyone who don't like the idea need to give a reason why and if someone agree with him they can thumb up

If it's like youtube we will see a lot of troll again who just love the red button

But from what I have seen, the youtube system actually works reasonably well.  While good videos will have some downvotes, they are usually vastly outnumbered by positive votes.  The ones that get a large portion of downvotes tend to be poor in comparison, or offensive/annoying in some way.  

Yes but youtube it's for video and have far more people in than here so the troll can't really troll video but some try when you see a video with 5k more like and just 1 or 2 dislike it's obviously a troll/hater or in rare case the "exception".

With the old system thumb down and up i given some thumb down without any justification now i need to post why i'm not ok with the idea like now.

If you want that much a red button they should add a windows who open and ask for the justification for your thumb down.

Edited by Canard.WC

Yes but youtube it's for video and have far more people in than here so the troll can't really troll video but some try when you see a video with 5k more like and just 1 or 2 dislike it's obviously a troll/hater or in rare case the "exception".

With the old system thumb down and up i given some thumb down without any justification now i need to post why i'm not ok with the idea like now.

If you want that much a red button they should add a windows who open and ask for the justification for your thumb down.

And again, why is all of that necessary for a downvote but not an upvote?  What inherently makes agreeing with someone better than disagreeing with someone?  Why is assent a more acceptable point of view than dissent, to the point that one requires a justification and the other is immediately greenlighted?  

And for these moments I REALLY REALLY want the downvotes back.

Idiots posting rubbish without reading other posts

Yea, idiots posting without clearly reading other's post. So let's down vote them.

Now please tell me what does that actually help accomplish?

This community were riding on a bullet train straight to hell.

DE removed down votes so people will stop flaming others, and poster who got down voted would stop getting so offended and start raging, thus it turns into a whole pointless madman deciding who's stupider.

I understand where you're coming from. But for opinion/suggestion wise. I'd say implement a vote system, instead of just the regular thumbs up thumbs down. I believe I don't have to elaborate more?

Not really, the community hates people who have opinions on anything they feel nerfs their overpowered frames, weapons and abilities. Wouldn't piss on half of these lot if they were on fire. No need for any voting. You don't like it, F*** off and move to another thread. You like It, make a post. End of. Im sick of these forums and the attitude of the wannabe GM types. EMPLOY ME IM COOL ... Retards.