The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Weapons With Shields

Shadowpalm

Seeing the glaive in action and its location when retracted (glaive is boss btw) has given me the idea for melee weapons such as sword/shield or mace/shield or something. This could be a melee weapon with lower damage and/or speed than another, but makes blocking vastly more effective. Perhaps even a special mechanic in which sliding attacks could be a shield bash that is a knockdown.

The shield could retract like the glaive (except on the outside of the arm) and expand when being used, or it could even be a core that produces an energy shield rather than a physical extension.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

I'd like to see a sheild as a primary weapon. Shield + pistol + sword. Yes!

+1

This. Weapons will be restricted to single handed ones, but this kind of setup could open up a lot of variance in gameplay.

On the other hand... you will look less ninja-ey with a shield... meh.

Edited by nabeshin

I dont think shields should have increase to shield capacity or hp or anything by default, the ability to mitigate incoming damage with the shield itself is already a payoff, but it would be a new class of primary weapon, meaning there could be new mods for it. Instead of mods like Hellfire, Serration, Point Strike, you could have armour, shield capacity/recharge and health mods. Maybe even mods that restore shields or hp for impacts they block - could be called Kinetic Recycling or something.

I dont think shields should have increase to shield capacity or hp or anything by default, the ability to mitigate incoming damage with the shield itself is already a payoff, but it would be a new class of primary weapon, meaning there could be new mods for it. Instead of mods like Hellfire, Serration, Point Strike, you could have armour, shield capacity/recharge and health mods. Maybe even mods that restore shields or hp for impacts they block - could be called Kinetic Recycling or something.

+2 looking forward to having my very own hellfire riotshield XD

I just brainstormed some ideas for it...

-Sword & Shield melee weapon

-The shield blocks ALL incoming damage in the direction you're facing while it's up

-Blocking area is about the size of Volt's shield, so it can be used to protect teammates too.

-Charge attack is a shield bash.

-75 damage.

-1s Charge Speed

-Very high chance to heavily stun the opponent.

The melee weapon that it would be partnered with would be a Skana; UNLESS:

-Weapon can only be fused via Blueprints

-Must be fused using an existing melee weapon you already own.

-Whatever weapon you use to fuse is the weapon that is used with the shield.

-The Sword/Shield combo inherits the fused weapon's jump attack and basic attack traits.

-Only Dual and 1-Handed weapons can be fused.

Edited by Duralumin

Shield as Melee weapon.  Straps to the back like other melee.  No slide attack, but slides faster, further and with greater force when colliding with targets.  Block consumes 1/4 stamina than usual.  Melee attack is a bash combo that hits in a small frontal cleave, staggers and deals non-elemental damage.  If melee is used while blocking it does the shield slam knockback like shield-dancers.  Charge attack is Shield-dancer Charge, only faster.  Moves like shoulder tackle with shield curled below.  Stops once it hits something and deals damage in a shallow cone.  Damage and on-kill knockback increased by distance travelled.  Cannot steer.

This is what I'd like to see.

Edited by Jorlain