Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some New Ideas For A Little More Sentinel Love...

JackBeloved

It's been a while since we've seen a new sentinel, what with Kubrows and all. (Don't get me wrong, I love me some Kubrows. Also, there's a neat topic addressing a little more love for our space ninja dogs here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/411211-companions-potential-upgrade/)

So, in the lull since Wyrm Prime (or, if you don't count it as a fully "new" Sentinel, seeing as it's just a gorgeous cosmetic upgrade to Wyrm and uses the same precepts, since Djinn and Helios...), I've had a few ideas for some ways to spice up out little floaty buddies.

1) New Sentinel Mods:

Okay, so there's a fairly small amount of mods for sentinels, and even fewer that are regularly equipped- usually related to survivability (health and shields, regen), utility (coolant leak, guardian), and prestige (sanctuary). The basic build is pretty much the same with variety only in the sentinel-specific precepts (what would we all give to have vacuum on all our sentinels?) So here's a list of some interesting mod concepts that could open up various roles for our sentinels:

Tank/aggro: damage to sentinel's shields and health regenerate health in your Warframe, or vice versa; Sentinel triggers a temporary invulnerability and aggro draw, akin to Nyx's absorb; Sentinel reflects bullets/lasers back at random targets while taking a fraction of the damage.

Healer: damage to sentinel's shields and health regenerate health in your Warframe; sentinel slowly regen's Warfame's health (I know there's a aura for that- maybe it could be the same or regenerate blocks of health at intervals, like 50 health every 30 seconds, or whatever, instead of a steady growth); etc.

CC: sentinel sends out periodic pulses that cover nearby enemies in a substance that makes them more susceptible to a certain elemental damage, like Ember's Accelerant ability, but for the other elements; sentinel targets a single enemy (or some number of nearby enemies) with a beam that does no damage, but confuses/slows/reduces armor on the target(s); sentinel emits an energy barrier that repels a set number of enemies from coming within a certain range of the sentinel and warframe, sort of like Booben's Bastille, but without catching them in place; sentinel shoots out a periodic ice projectile with travel time that freezes a single enemy solid if it makes contact; etc.

Mobility: sentinel adds sprint or walking speed to warframe; sentinel increases jump height/distance (maybe with a cool 'tractor beam' animation triggered at the beginning of the jump); sentinel can pull warframes an additional meter or two when wall-running vertically up a wall; etc.

Stealth: sentinel scans and highlights nearby enemies (either on the minimap or with a glowy outline that can be seen through walls, like Enemy Radar or Helios' periodic scan pulses, but all the time); sentinel creates a sound dampening field (like Banshee's Silence); sentinel drops a gas grenade or smoke bomb that obscures the sentinel and warframe when the sentinel's (or warframe's) health reaches 10%; etc.

2) New Sentinels:

You could take any of the 'roles' up above, and build a new sentinel around the role, if you wanted to keep the choice difficult and force players to pick one at the exclusion of another. A healing sentinel would be cool. I know Shade is already a stealth sentinel, but we have multiple stealth warframes, no? Why not a different stealth sentinel?

Also, I would love to have a floaty flowy sentinel, like what I wish Wyrm was, where the sentinel is like a long flowy ribbon that flies around like the infested spores or those swirly things in certain dojo rooms...

3) New Sentinel Weapons:

Okay, think crazy with me. How about a missile launcher? Why not have a weapon that shoots solid lasers in all directions, like Mirage's disco lightshow? Or, why do sentinel weapons always have to be projectile-oriented? How about a continuous, powerful energy arc between the sentinel and the ground that fries anything it hits? Why not a weapon aura that give damage over time, like coolant leak but for damage instead of crowd control? Or robotic tendrils that hang down and strangle anything they catch?

In conclusion: I'm well aware that there are plenty of objections to many, if not most of these ideas. "Don't copy warframe powers!" "But that would make xxxxx unnecessary!" That's not my point- my point is simply that there's so much more that sentinels could do if given a little thought. (Besides, there's no real reason to keep some mechanic locked behind a single warframe/power/weapon/whatever, since some overlap allows for really tailoring a unique set up customized to each player's ideal play style.)

TL;DR- it's about time for some new sentinels/mods/weapons.

Also, where's my space ninja cat to loaf around my liset and terrorize my Kubrows?

Edited by JackBeloved