Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Color-Pack And Other "odd" Prices

ZaxNyu

Hi guys.

Not sure if that's the best subforum to post this, if not move the thread please.

I'm kind of annoyed that some prices are not a multiple of 5, like the color pack for 281 platinum. I would really like to buy the pack, but knowing that I will probably forever see a 4 or 9 in my platinum wallet makes it less attractive. Same with the 4 warframe packs (though I would not buy them).

Any weirdos out there having the same "problem"?

And what about adjusting the price? Shouldn't make much difference to reduce the color pack price by 1, though I'm not sure how easy or not it is to refund that 1 platinum for people that already bought it.

I actually quite dislike seeing this sort of thing in games.

Especially when prices are so high.

if you're paying 200-300 credits for a pack, to end up with an obscure number like "8" credits left is annoying, it makes your next platinum purchase difficult, especially if you're going to end up being 2 credits short.

281 plat is just tiny a bit more than 25% off what you normally pay for the colour packs buying individually. Also, one plat here and there does make a difference due to volume. That one plat off across 1000 buyers adds up.

On the other hand, there's a thing with people when they have leftover store credit to spend it. And it's not quite enough to cover some other items which may make you purchase more plat. With more leftover and so forth.

So, like most things, there are some good reasons and maybe some poor ones.

DE doesn't sell single platinum, so they don't earn anything really by wanting 1 plat more from x buyers. It only creates leftover platinum. For me it really doesn't matter if they would make it 280 or 285.

Just wondering why they decided to make prices like this (and then not in every frame pack).

Edited by ZaxNyu

DE doesn't sell single platinum, so they don't earn anything really by wanting 1 plat more from x buyers. It only creates leftover platinum. For me it really doesn't matter if they would make it 280 or 285.

Just wondering why they decided to make prices like this (and then not in every frame pack).

I am guessing its due to the fact that you WILL have left overs.  For the same reason companies sell you "in-game currency" packs for a little less then what the item is worth rather then just pricing the items

For example

In one game I played they used "gold" as pay-for currency

You could buy gold at 300, 600, 900 and 1200

But NO items where priced as such

Items where often 200, 500, 1000 or 1500. Meaning that you either had left overs or you bought a pack twice.  This is because you are more likely to spend money when you have things left over because "you are that much closer" to the item that you want.

I am reminded of league of legend's bizzarre pricing.

People will frequently end up with a handful of premium currency, or just a tiny amount short on a new item.

But then Riot games would, literally, give out free premium currency to people who drew a picture and sent it to the support staff.

Meaning that being a few units short wouldn't stop you getting the item you want.

That said, having 80% of the value of an item is quite an incentive to buy some more, or it encourages players to spend the remaining amount the moment a "Special" or "Value pack" comes out, so they can buy something with their "not enough for a full priced item" balance.

I am guessing its due to the fact that you WILL have left overs.  For the same reason companies sell you "in-game currency" packs for a little less then what the item is worth rather then just pricing the items

For example

In one game I played they used "gold" as pay-for currency

You could buy gold at 300, 600, 900 and 1200

But NO items where priced as such

Items where often 200, 500, 1000 or 1500. Meaning that you either had left overs or you bought a pack twice.  This is because you are more likely to spend money when you have things left over because "you are that much closer" to the item that you want.

I know of these games too, but I don't think Warframe (=DE) is one of them neither wants to be like this. And the purchasable amounts ot platinum (+ the founder packs as long as they exist) don't match this.