Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Jump And Walk/run Unresponsive

Vanadio

I don't know how to explain better, but moving in this engine feels "wrong" sometime.

If you JUMP while standing still in front of a low wall, you can't jump. You have to initiate a random sequence of WASD and SHIFT melody to have the warframe climb over the thing.

An other issue is that the SHIFT key sometime feels "forgotten" by the engine, you have to press it again.

It may be design, but I don't like it.

Thanks and good work.

Edited by Vanadio

If you are running up against a wall, especially ankle high or so it doesn't let you jump unless you carefully stop moving, inch back, and try to jump perfectly in place (meaning you now have no forward momentum).  It also bugs out a ton in the air vents that you have to break and climb up, making it back over the hole just refuses to jump and I often have to wallrun along the side just to cross over.  Controls in general are very sticky, and the random way it picks whether you run up or along a wall often messes things up.

I don't know how to explain better, but moving in this engine feels "wrong" sometime.

If you JUMP while standing still in front of a low wall, you can't jump. You have to initiate a random sequence of WASD and SHIFT melody to have the warframe climb over the thing.

An other issue is that the SHIFT key sometime feels "forgotten" by the engine, you have to press it again.

It may be design, but I don't like it.

Thanks and good work.

I thought it was my keyboard, I also punched it...btw, do you never get stuck on stairs while running on them? It happens to me almost all the times.

The only glitch I have encountered from this list is that sometimes after a reload or a sprint/jump/swordslam my character won't stop sprinting until I run out of stamina. Also, sometimes when I reload, if I'm holding sprint or shoot, I don't immediately start running or shooting - I have to release and press the button again. 

i would also love to see the jump problem fixed

Azreal90 - Sorry but i have never been stuck while running on stairs. i have had one occurrence where i was doing a mix of jump attacks and rhino stomps and fell through the stairs but that was about it. Everyone in the party had a good laugh at me, hell even i laughed at me lol

@Vanadio: I have experienced some of these problems, but they tend not to persist between hotfixes.

I have one that does, though:

I thought it was my keyboard, I also punched it...btw, do you never get stuck on stairs while running on them? It happens to me almost all the times.

I do CONSTANTLY have an issue with stairs. On the Grineer and Corpus ships, sprinting, and even walking into stairs often stops my frame dead in its tracks. The running animation continues until I release the key, but the frame instantly loses 100% of its momentum.

I often work around this by walking or running up the small ramp areas which flank the stairs on the indoor maps, or by simply slide-jumping over them, but that really bugs me sometimes. It breaks flow.

I've also noticed that I'm often the only one in a group who gets stuck on the stairs, the other party members seem to either jump over them, or just fly on by me.

I have a CM Storm NKRO mechanical keyboard and for sprinting I use the thumb button of a Sensei, I should be sure it's not my hardware.

I add to the list of weird things: often I get "cannot do that while in air", even if I'm perfectly n the ground, I have to randomly "reset" what the engine thinks of my position making some AOE melee jump attack and/or roll-jump...

Edited by Vanadio

I do CONSTANTLY have an issue with stairs. On the Grineer and Corpus ships, sprinting, and even walking into stairs often stops my frame dead in its tracks. The running animation continues until I release the key, but the frame instantly loses 100% of its momentum.

I often work around this by walking or running up the small ramp areas which flank the stairs on the indoor maps, or by simply slide-jumping over them, but that really bugs me sometimes. It breaks flow.

I've also noticed that I'm often the only one in a group who gets stuck on the stairs, the other party members seem to either jump over them, or just fly on by me.

Exactly the same that happens to me. I noticed that sometimes he doesn't get stuck, but I can't say why....

I though it was a connection problem but it happens on Solo too.

Edited by Azrael90

While we're here:

Mid air moment sometime behaves strangely, that is, you jump vertically and you are unable to move horizontally SOMETIMES. Other times, you jumper vertically, tap forwards and go catapulting off into the distance.

Certain movements, like doing a midair summersault by jumping while sliding, randomly don't work sometimes, wasting momentum, stamina and time in the process.

Wall jumping, especially the trickier wall jumps like climbing vertically up the broken elevator shaft, can be randomly dysfunctional, or behave irrationally.

Momentum means nothing to stagger, for some reason. That is to say, You could be speeding through the air having vaulted off a wall at amazing velocity, go above a grineer roller, and come to a complete stop on top of it, losing all your speed and resuming a stunlock.

Other issue, but I'm willing to think that it's me that can't understand the (difficult, unnatural) mechanic behind:

when leaving a wall after a wallrun, sometime I am (apparently randomly) catapulted at lightspeed.

Most of the time this happens with _short_ wallruns, 1-2 steps on the wall.

As far as I can tell, all these experiences (which I have had happen to me on multiple occasions myself) all have one thing in common: Slopes.

Every time I get one of these issues it seems to be because the game engine has issues detecting the absolute vertical height of the player on non-flat terrain. It is my belief that this is also the root cause of the glitch where a player is unable to use abilities and receives the message, "Cannot use ability in air." Certain abilities and actions cannot be performed when the player's height is not 0. This includes jumping, running and the acrobatic movement skills.

It seems to me that the player model has difficulty in following terrain exactly when it changes height. This is why stairs are such a nightmare sometimes. It's also easy to see this complication in very bumpy areas such as the Grineer asteroid. Try sliding and hammering the jump button. If it responds, good for you, your character was "flat". It will not respond sometimes when you are on a slope and the game registers you in "mid-air".

I speak from a position of very limited experience with game engines, however, and so welcome any other viewpoints on this issue. Either way, I think the resolution of this gameplay problem would go a long way to improving the feel of the game. Sharper registry of player position would make the acrobatic elements of the game easier to perform and thus provide a gameplay experience that is quite unique in the shooter genre. Here's hoping DE takes note of this issue and fixes it with as much expediency as they have shown in the past with their hotfixes.

Yes Cerenth, I hope they get in touch with the issue since is common.

I'd like to point out that we are looking for consistency, not "easiness" in acrobatics.

Not that acrobatics were hard to do to begin with. It just feels odd compared to other games that do it, like Brink and Mirror's Edge.

A question of mine: what framerate is warframe running at? I do believe the stair issues stemmed from poor framerates, assuming i was reading other topics in the performance subforum correctly.

ATM id say the Tenno dont really interact with their Surroundings. They have a particular Movement Set that is used depending on the Surroundings........thats not bad but.... WHY do the Tenno have to roll if they run and drop like 10cm....why cant they jump when they stand before an obstacle or while they´re running.....why does my frame run along the wall (--->0 degree ankle)  if i face it in a 90 degree ankle??....i dont know about the slide attack exploit but if i use that attack to close the gap between me and an enemy why cant i use my melee weapon before the change back to the primary/secondary weapon is completed and sth i dont understant why does an option to walk not exist ?

I cant really see the Tenno as Assassins cause im pretty close to Martial Arts and i think im closer to beeing an Assassin than they are ^^