The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 4th skill much too strong

antimab-EGT-

So after using my Volt I think they did a few things that really killed the usefulness of Overload.

1. The range is alot shorter. Before the change I used no + power range mods and it still hit the entire room I was in plus part of all adjacent rooms.

2. They seem to have taken out the electric bolts that usually killed most enemys close to you and were the element that randomly persisted seconds after the ability was used causing the game to think the power was still in use and not allowing the player to use another skill or melee attaks until they went away.

3. The electric shockwave from Overload seems to no longer cause electric arcs from the various metal environmental elements like railings, girders, and such that struck enemies like it used to which has killed its usefulness in those large wide open rooms with extremely high ceilings.

Atleast these are the changes I precieve to it. Sadly now it feels like all of volt's skills are underwhelming. Like I'm playing a high level black mage in FFXI and only have tier 1 nukes...

If you compare its energy cost to lets say excaliburs first skill which only costs 25 its not bad. Excalibur with increased max energy can slash through around 5 enemies up to 8 times with 200 energy. Thats 40 enemies, granted you wont always get exactly a perfect lineup on targets and wont insta-kill all of them. But then again Volt's 4th skill is limited effectiveness against a certain faction, plus only really good in tight corridors where there is electrical equipment to shock ppl. on top of that it costs 100 energy, so its about the same except one is more spammable while one is for those wtf moments. We'll just have to see how the changes in beta go. :)

Before the nerf Using overload in situations could result in around 30 kills. Since it doesnt even seem to have the base reach to hit an entire large room, unless you kit yourself to boost the range substantially you might get 8-10. This is on a 100 energy base 4th skill that cant even be used unless you supercharge unlock the frame.

was definately OP before

Now its more of a detriment. If there are mobs close to me, they don't get destroyed and they hit me while i can't move or perform any actions because the ability is still going through its animation. Because of this, in a large room of enemies, its suicidal to use the ability, but should be the ideal time to use it.

IMO, keep the damage nerf, add in the ability that you're invulnerable during the animation, and have it recharge your shields at the end of the animation.

So its no longer the kill machine it was before, but you're not suicidal for using it against a large wave of enemies.

As a Volt user I can say a nerf WAS needed; not just because of the power's range and ability(killing 10~30 enemies) but because ti could potentially crash the game with so much stuff going on at once. However I believe it was overnerfed; now it does nothing to enemies nearby me when used. There is no longer 'lightning' from electronics hitting enemies. It is underpowered now and has bad hit detection; overall, it's kinda useless. Especially since once you use it and it rips the electronics, if you use it again it just doesn't work. Whereas Mag's 4th ability can be used repeatedly, as can Ember's, without having to keep track of things in the enviorment that can affect it.

tl;dr It got nerfed way too hard; it's now a partially useless ability that doesn't cause damage to things in the immedate area as well as just not work, rather then a "oh crap I am being swarmed I need some space" ability. Which is imo what 4th abilities for offensive classes should be; powers that give the player space when they are being mobbed.

TBH the exploding elements before were usually the cause of most of the enormous damage numbers seen from the skill before. The reach would cause objects to explode in unexplored rooms where the enemies were idle near these things. This was evidenced before as popping overload was a quick way to get my "kill X amt of unalerted enemies" bonus exp task. As far as I can tell I don't really see a difference in the damage from those exploding elements. The things they did that have nerfed the damage output are cutting the range considerably and removing the initial shock electrical damage that could sometimes linger on the map. Now the only way it kills anything is if an elecrical element in the environment explodes nearby. Really I think it just needed the range nerf. As I said before its a 4th skill ability a player can't even access unless they unlock supercharge on the frame. Plus it didn't work on infested ancients. Could not be used multiple times in the same room (cant think of any other skill with that kind of limitation). And from my experience it did hardly anything if anything at all to the bosses I tried using it on. (though it did clear out all the fodder around it.)

I definitely agree that the shield is way to expensive. 75 energy is ludicrous when it's not even a very interesting shield. Why would I bother using it when I can just wait for another 25 energy and nuke the whole room.

And all speed is good for is running ahead of my team, or running away from overwhelming odds if I'm solo.

All I can say that volt breaks the gaming experience.

Look at the statistics after match and you will see: best killer was volt. Again and again. In the last battle volt burned 4-6 enemies by one electric hit. And it does not need to aim and choose the position for strike (like as Excalibur). And what other players? run around and look for individual victims? This is really annoying.

Look at the statistics after match and you will see: best killer was volt. Again and again. In the last battle volt burned 4-6 enemies by one electric hit. And it does not need to aim and choose the position for strike (like as Excalibur). And what other players? run around and look for individual victims? This is really annoying.

Breaks? Not really. The game is still in beta. As soon as they nail the balance and add reason to use supportive abilities Volts 4 will be in a good place. In my eye its only purpose will be to wipe out non-elites in the room so you can focus-fire on the big beefy ones.

Right now? Sure, it does seem overpowered. Why? Because genocide is the only thing we need to finish missions, and Volt excels at it.

Edited by Lers

I dunno what you guys are going on about, Overload still feels pretty strong, but I do have a 40% range upgrade on it, I can effectively clear out a room, and sustain it being a room of death for a couple of seconds.

I think you guys are just overreacting.

Considering Volt's other 3 abilities are a bit lackluster(though useful in a more utility sense), it is nice he has an "oh S#&$" button when you're getting swarmed by shockwave moas/infected. Mag's 4th is similar to that. Also consider Volt is described as a "high damage" warframe, it shouldn't be surprising he packs a punch. :)

I'd also like to mention the most 'broken' aspects are in regards to power range mods, which are earned, so I see no problem with them. Unless, you know, a Volt is spamming it constantly. But that's just being rude and has no relation to the character since you can have a lot of rudeness done with other warframe abilities(Loki's switcher, Mag's Crush, Ember's 3rd, etc...)

No typically the highest kills are whoever gets the best positioning to use their skills and make shots. Generally in most cases its the person that advances the fastest to get further ahead of the team. All overload allows a volt user is a skill button that removes all fodder enemies within a certain area of effect. Guess what. Mag can do this, Ember can do this, Excalibur can do this as well. By description Ash can do this also but I've never seen an ash frame in game. I've seen rhino's tear through things rapidly as well. So that leaves what the Loki and Trinity as the only frames that don't have a push button murder x amount of fodder option available to them?

Let me join your squad I show you how I can be at top with nearly every Frame.

Its just a matter of mods and weapon ...the skill is not so strong anymore.

And a excalibur can kill much more if he is skilled with his charge.