Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Movement Gripes

Licter

I have two, the first is relatively common in the forums: if I'm holding the Shift key to run, my character should be trying to run.  Having to release the key and press it down again is irritating, cumbersome, and breaks immersion.

The second issue I have may not be irritating to some, but it bugs me.  Why must my character always take a step when swinging a melee weapon?  If I want to move forward when I swing my sword, I can bind a special key to do so.  Maybe the 'W' key, for example.  That would be convenient, since that's the key I use to... move forward.

If I want to stand still as a post and whip my melee weapon around, it should be an option.  Tactically, standing still in any combat is generally a bad idea, but there are times when it would be nice not to have to stop using melee to reposition before swinging again.

I'm not a fighter in real life, but it stands to reason, with what I've heard or read, that footwork is a critical aspect to melee.  Being locked into stepping forward with every weapon swing (and not being able step back or side-to-side while attacking) just doesn't do hand-to-hand combat justice.  Especially for ninjas.

Yeah personally I think there's something a little weird about the step while slashing, it makes it difficult to stand toe-to-toe with enemies and melee them. With weapons like Fang it's a little annoying because if I keep at it, I'll eventually end up behind the enemy. 

Definitely agree on the shift thing. Furthermore, I have noticed with the sprinting is that there is almost a half second (more significant than it sounds) delay between pressing the sprint key and actually starting to sprint.

While on the subject of movement gripes, I want to bring to attention the excess of involuntary rolls. It makes sense when you jump a great distance vertically while moving forward, but more often than not it triggers in situations where, at best it is a nuisance, and at worst it sends you rolling off of edges or into shockwaving enemies. The involuntary roll should not trigger if you are jumping up stairs, or arguably even when jumping on level ground. I have also noticed that when sprinting over a flat surface with small breaks in the ground, you just start rolling, as though you are "landing" when going over each gap. This whole involuntary rolling thing needs to really be toned down.

Definitely agree on the shift thing. Furthermore, I have noticed with the sprinting is that there is almost a half second (more significant than it sounds) delay between pressing the sprint key and actually starting to sprint.

^

This is because that half second is meant for the roll function, which in my opinion should be on a seperate key or a combination of keys, not bound to the same key as sprint, this makes things cumbersome, same problem as console games that have 75% (exaggerated) of game functions on 1 button

While on the subject of movement gripes, I want to bring to attention the excess of involuntary rolls. It makes sense when you jump a great distance vertically while moving forward, but more often than not it triggers in situations where, at best it is a nuisance, and at worst it sends you rolling off of edges or into shockwaving enemies. The involuntary roll should not trigger if you are jumping up stairs, or arguably even when jumping on level ground. I have also noticed that when sprinting over a flat surface with small breaks in the ground, you just start rolling, as though you are "landing" when going over each gap. This whole involuntary rolling thing needs to really be toned down.

^

I sorta agree, i think the rolling thing should be based on the player, like if you fall and don't press space at the right time then you faceplant and take damage, also i would like that rolling doesn't decrease your momentum, it usually helps to retain it compared to sliding, so its kinda weird right now.

but overall, yea i agree with the OP

^

This is because that half second is meant for the roll function, which in my opinion should be on a seperate key or a combination of keys, not bound to the same key as sprint, this makes things cumbersome, same problem as console games that have 75% (exaggerated) of game functions on 1 button

As much as I loathe to add another button to have to stretch my stubby fingers to on my keyboard, I have to agree with separating sprint from roll.  Perhaps having a "contextual action" key, which would add possible maneuvers to what already exists.  So on top of rolling when standing still, it could add options when wall-running or wall-climbing, another option when sprinting other than sliding, ect.

As much as I loathe to add another button to have to stretch my stubby fingers to on my keyboard, I have to agree with separating sprint from roll.  Perhaps having a "contextual action" key, which would add possible maneuvers to what already exists.  So on top of rolling when standing still, it could add options when wall-running or wall-climbing, another option when sprinting other than sliding, ect.

Double tapping W was a suggestion in another thread, that could work too, or keep sprint on shift and have dbl tap to dodge/roll in that direction.

I think it's a pretty intelligent design that they put the step forward in the melee swings. 

If you think about it, swinging a chunk of metal with cutting/crushing force requires an amount of effort. It's a sense of realism that is nice to see, because in games like L4D where you can crush an enemies skull by waggling a guitar at them is silly. However there is a sense of immersion I get when I hold of a wave of infested chargers with my scindo. Albeit the screen shake is annoying, but explained by the devs.

If you don't want to step forward while meleeing, crouch. You'll stay in the same position, but you'll do all the arm swings. And if you say that it looks silly, well.. Standing up straight like a lamp post flailing a hammer about you without flinching would look pretty darn ridiculous, too.