Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Mods That Directly Effect Powers

Aizeol

Ok, so I was thinking about what DE said concerning there being the possibility of warframes having multiple sets of powers.

What I realized is that instead of the Devs having to come up with all new powers for every warframe, and new animations and what not (as amazing as that would be) they could have mods that "attach" to the power-mods and change their behavior.

For instance, Ember's fireball could have a modification that caused it to explode on impact and deal all of it's DOT damage at once instead of over time like now.

This could work for ultimates as well: Instead of having overcharge/avalanche/crush kill everyone within 10m (guessing) radius, it instead hits everyone in a 30m cone instead with knockback or something.

This way, powers can be customized without DE having to make all new powers.  I still want to see maybe 2 sets per frame, basically offensive/defensive or something but this way, multiple versions of the same frame could be in a level and not be the exact same frame.

-What do you think?

-What would you like to see as a "modification" to an existing power that isn't just a new power?

Freeze: Minor AoE, massive slowdown but not freezing, low damage.

Ice Wave: Forms a wall of ice for a short period of time, but lessened damage.

Snow Globe: Halves damage from bullets, does not block them, but deals damage to enemies inside.

Snow Globe again: Cuts damage from bullets by 25%, freezes enemies inside.

Avalanche: A massive forward attack, with a rectangular AoE in front of you.

I somewhat support both. Especially for some useless powers. I know there aren't many. The one blazingly obvious "useless" power is Excalibur's Super Jump. I have not come across a SINGLE area that I've needed Super Jump for. At all. Ever. Ever. I don't even know why it's a class specific mod. It'd be better suited as an all class mod and give Excalibur something else in place of it. 

I somewhat support both. Especially for some useless powers. I know there aren't many. The one blazingly obvious "useless" power is Excalibur's Super Jump. I have not come across a SINGLE area that I've needed Super Jump for. At all. Ever. Ever. I don't even know why it's a class specific mod. It'd be better suited as an all class mod and give Excalibur something else in place of it. 

I know what you mean.  If excal was the only choice for newbies then it might make sense for them.  Super jump is a great way to get around obstacles that require advanced wall-running, but honestly has not real purpose beyond that.

Freeze: Minor AoE, massive slowdown but not freezing, low damage.

Ice Wave: Forms a wall of ice for a short period of time, but lessened damage.

Snow Globe: Halves damage from bullets, does not block them, but deals damage to enemies inside.

Snow Globe again: Cuts damage from bullets by 25%, freezes enemies inside.

Avalanche: A massive forward attack, with a rectangular AoE in front of you.

I really like all of these.  They keep Frost as a more defensive frame, but change the powers enough to allow for varied strategies.

Excellent Job!

Edited by Aizeol

I know what you mean.  If excal was the only choice for newbies then it might make sense for them.  Super jump is a great way to get around obstacles that require advanced wall-running, but honestly has not real purpose beyond that.

If there were any obstacles that require advanced wall running. I have yet to find a single wall run that was particularly challenging that I HAD to use to get somewhere else. The only challenging wall run I've seen is the one with 3 walls in the room with pathways shaped like -E  (sort of, the font doesn't align the - and the central bit of the E) in which you could run and jump the walls back and forth to cross the whole room. But that's optional. 

If there were any obstacles that require advanced wall running. I have yet to find a single wall run that was particularly challenging that I HAD to use to get somewhere else. The only challenging wall run I've seen is the one with 3 walls in the room with pathways shaped like -E  (sort of, the font doesn't align the - and the central bit of the E) in which you could run and jump the walls back and forth to cross the whole room. But that's optional. 

Exactly, there are no areas that are necessary for progression that require a new player to learn anything beyond "sprint, hold jump"  Again, it is a helpful ability, but never truly necessary.  What I meant was that if new player only had access to Excal, then it might make sense to give them an ability that only helped them get around until they actually knew what they were doing, but then it should be able to be replace with an ability that would actually be useful.

What exactly is the difference between modifying a current power and introducing a new power? Ember's skills already seem like slight variations of each other. If we could only apply each mod to a certain skill, what makes it different from just adding more skills that're the modded versions of the old skills?

Argoms, on 09 May 2013 - 9:45 PM, said:

What exactly is the difference between modifying a current power and introducing a new power? Ember's skills already seem like slight variations of each other. If we could only apply each mod to a certain skill, what makes it different from just adding more skills that're the modded versions of the old skills?

True, basically my point is that these modifications attach to powers or are options within the powers themselves. The animations may or may not change, and honestly there isn't a big difference.

What I'm looking for is a way to change current powers, but in a way that effects a specific power. Continuity, focus, reach, and streamline are good examples of general power variations, but I'm talking about customizing one power in a specific way that doesn't really make it a whole new power.

Edit:

And as far as Ember goes, I am doing this mainly because I feel she is a one-trick pony. Right now, I fee that there really isn't any reason to use anything other than Fire Blast, but I would love Fireball if it has more AoE damage at range. This would give her more options for CC at a distance farther than her face.

Edited by Aizeol

I quite like this idea.

Some suggestions of my own;

New Venom; Deals damage for a decreased duration, but infects enemies in close proximity without the need to shoot spores.

New molt: Applies venom to targets who attack it with melee, but has double the cost (Or half the duration, something similar)

New bullet attractor: Bullet reppeller, casts on an ally, repels bullets that pass through or torward the recipient back in the direction they came.

New Shield Polarize: Magnetises an enemy or ally's shield, causing them to take increased or decreased damage for several seconds, respectively.

New Pull: Push, repulses an enemy away from the mag at significant speed, dealing damage to the target and knocking back enemies in it's path.

Mag Pull:

Offensive: Pulls target very hard and fast, pulling target behind player and player makes melee downed enemy kill (or hit if high health)

Defensive: Pulls targets in a 60 degree cone a short distance knocking them down (a more AoE disrupt)

Mag Shield Polarize

REWORK PLS

Mag Bullet Attractor:

Offensive: Deals DoT to target, slowly crushing them while the bubble slowly contracts

Defensive: At the end of the normal effect, stuns target for 1.5 sec

Mag Crush

Offensive: At the end of the normal effect, sends out metal shards 20 m further than normal effect range

Defensive: Any Allies within the effect will receive a metal shell "overshield"

Banshee Sonic Boom:

Offensive: Fires a faster wave so enemies closer will be hit multiple times

Defensive: 360 wave blast that deals damage and knocks enemies away

Banshee Sonar:

IDK

Banshee Silence:

Offensive: Allows stealth kills even if enemy is alerted

Defensive: Stealths champion for the duration

Banshee Sound Quake:

Offensive: When an unit is hit (ally or enemy), a miniature quake emanates from them dealing 1/4 damage

Defensive: The sound quake counts as a shield that blocks all bullets in the AoE (doesn't block melee)

Ash Shuriken:

Offensive: Sends three shurikens in a cone

Defensive: Shuriken twirls around ash, dealing damage and staggering those around her

Ash Smoke Screen:

Offensive: Poisonous smoke?

Defensive: Ash becomes stealthed in the smoke and effect persists for 2 seconds after leaving the cloud

Ash Teleport:

Offensive: Ash teleports on top of enemy, knocking them down and performing a killing stroke (or hit if high heath)

Defensive: Ash teleports to an enemy, staggering everyone in a 5 m radius

Ash Blade Storm:

Offensive: If enemies run out in a 20m radius, allows one teleport of 50m to another enemy

Deffensive: Ash's shields are fully restored at the end of effect

Ember Fireball:

Offensive: Fireball punctures original target and splits into 5 miniature fireballs that spread out in a 120 degree cone

Defensive: Fireball explodes on impact, pushing enemies within 5m back

Ember Overheat:

Offensive: Aura pulsates, sending fire damage out 5m out from edge of aura

Defensive: Allies within the effect receive halved damage reduction

Ember Fire Blast:

Offensive: Blast becomes a cluster bomb that deals initial damage, then separates into 12 fireballs that bounce out and form miniature rings (halved damage)

Defensive: Blast sends a shockwave that staggers enemies 15m from blast's edge

Ember World on Fire

IMO needs rework

Excalibur Slash Dash

Offensive: When dashing, instead of dealing damage, grabs all enemies in a 2m radius and drags them to the end of the dash, then performs a massive damage attack to all enemies caught in this manner

Defensive: When dashing, enemies not hit, but in a 3m radius are knocked down

Excalibur Radial Blind

Offensive: IDK

Defensive: After stun or blind, silences all effected for an additional 2 sec

Excalibur Super Jump

Offensive: Jumps high in the air and slams back down to the ground for a massive AoE attack

Defensive: Can hold an ally, (downed or healthy) and jump to another location

Excalibur Radial Javelin:

Offensive: Javelins shatter upon impact sending shrapnel from enemies hit

Defensive: Sends twice as many javelins, but with halved damage, and javelins throw enemies 30m, knocking down any other enemies they hit in that path

Frost Freeze

Offensive: Upon freezing an enemy, deals initial damage around target frozen. Upon freezing an ally, ally receives extra freeze damage on all weapons

Defensive: Upon freezing an enemy, creates an aura that slows enemies around target frozen. Upon freezing an ally, ally receives the aura

Frost Ice Wave

Offensive: Upon reaching target, will send out ice tentacles around the target dealing half damage

Defensive: Will knockdown any units caught in the wave

Frost Snow Globe

Offensive: All shots fired within the globe will have added freeze damage as well as the shield passively shooting ice shards

Defensive: Enemies shields are depleted, damage reduction within the field, however ally shield regeneration is slowed Frost Avalanche

Offensive: Deals 150% damage to enemies who are slowed, and freezes them in place instead of staggering

Defensive: Knocks down enemies who are 5m from edge of radius, and slows enemies who are 10m from edge of radius

Loki Decoy

Offensive: Loki's decoys explode at the end of duration

Defensive: Loki deploys a decoy that walks 20m in the direction it was cast, drawing enemy fire to that location Loki Invisibility:

Offensive: While effect is still active, if loki attacks a target, will silence enemies in a 20 m radius

Defensive: Cloaks allies within a 7m radius for the duration

Loki Switch Teleport:

Offensive: After teleport, staggers enemies in a 3m radius

Defensive: After teleport, stealth Loki for 2 sec

Loki Radial Disarm:

Offensive: Weapons affected explode, dealing damage to holders

Defensive: Stuns enemies for 1.5 sec afterwitch they are disarmed

Nyx Mind Control

Offensive: IDK

Defensive: Will prioritize guarding allies over fighting enemies (will draw enemy fire to protect allies)

Nyx Psychic Bolts

Offensive: Bolts attempt to travel to another target after hitting the first

Defensive: Bolts stun targets hit for 1.5 sec

Nyx Chaos

IDK, it's beautiful the way it is

Nyx Absorb

Offensive: In addition to the radial damage, for every 50 damage absorbed, sends a psychic bolt out as well

Defensive: For all damage absorbed, deals radial damage then leaves a shield equal to damage absorbed in place for 10 sec

Rhino Rhino Charge

IDK

Rhino Iron Skin

Offensive: Damage richochets off of Rhino, so damage dealt to him is instead dealt in an area around him

Defensive: Draws enemy fire?

Radial Blast

Offensive: Deals damage and knocks down enemies in radius, stuns enemies 2m from edge, staggers enemies 4m from edge

Defensive: Deals damage and throws back enemies in radius a distance of 10m, knocking down any enemies they collide with

Rhino Stomp

IDK

Kinda hard to alter a tank

Saryn Venom

Offensive: Creates a noxious cloud of gass from the spore

Defensive: Blinds target taged with spore

Saryn Molt

Offensive: Upon being attacked, infects the attacker with a virus

Defensive: Upon being destroyed, creates a blinding DoT gas cloud

Saryn Contagion

Offensive: When attacking the air with melee weapon, will spit poison balls

Defensive: Creates a poison cloud around Saryn which reduces enemies chance to hit

Saryn Miasma

Offensive: Infects enemies with miasma, and enemies run away infecting any other units they run into

Defensive: Infects enemies with miasma and creates a giant poison cloud that stealths saryn and allies

Trinity Well of Life

Offensive: Forms an aura around enemy effected and other enemies that enter aura will become under the effect as well

Defensive: Forms a vampiric connection that heals Trinity regardless of whether she deals damage or not

Trinity Energy Vampire:

Offensive: Drains shields and spits out energy balls in addition to original effect

Defensive: Attacking the target restores shields in addition to original effect

Trinity Link

Offensive: Trinity links one target and any enemies that hit Trinity are instantly linked (max 3 links)

Defensive: Upon linking to an enemy, restores Trinities shields for damage dealt. Upon linking to ally, restores their shields for damage dealt

Trinity Blessing

Offensive: For 4 seconds after heal, allies damage restores shields, health, and energy

Defensive: Revives all downed allies, and grants 50% damage reduction for 5 sec (after invincibility)

Volt Shock

Offensive: The shock forms a brief electric field around target that zaps any enemies hit

Defensive: Stuns all enemies around target for 1.5 sec

Volt Speed

Offensive: Knocks down enemies volt runs into

Defensive: Creates a flash of light as volt runs blinding enemies as he runs

Electric Shield IDK, it already has offensive and defensive uses

Overload IDK, already OP and looks freaking awesome

Well, it took me an entire hour to type all these out, and considering that I have only played Mag, take these with a grain of salt. However, I have played long enough to see all the abilities be used. Hope someone gets something out of this, and yes, it would be cool if the devs are listening, but I would prefer them to work on the stealth system first. Also, there is another cool topic circulating about ability combos, which I would absolutely love to see as well, after the stealth rework.

FoxnEagle

Edited by FoxnEagle