Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parry-Based Tonfa Mod (+ New Tonfa)

Tjartie

The first time DE released the Kronen as a fan concept, I was absolutely overjoyed. Granted, tonfa aren't exactly new to an entire universe of melee weaponry, and Karl Ruprecht Kronen wasn't exactly a popular character, but as someone who enjoys watching martial arts freestyling, I found the tonfa to be a nifty weapon of choice, despite its rather abyssmal range.

There is a catch, though. If anything, tonfa are generally used as a defensive weapon, and the versatility and simplicity of the build allowed it to easily parry incoming weapons or appendages. The Tonfa I see in Warframe are used to cut up things pretty like.

I've also been analyzing some of the stance mods, and in general, I found that while many mods offer staggers and status procs, more needs to be done to implement Parrying as a decent mechanic, at least to give some melee users an edge in counterattacking. It's for this reason that I'm proposing a mod that works on parrying over raw damage output, giving excellent openings for finishers and making an alternate playstyle besides "cut up things pretty like".

New Stance: Jester's Waltz

An acrobatic stance heavily built on counterattacking, evasive movement and heavy stagger over damage. Jester's Waltz trades off the speed and reach of its counterpart, Gemini Cross, with the unique ability to parry mid-stance, thereby not interrupting attack combos or movement.

The stance will be based heavily on capoeira, and the Warframe using it tends to be in a crouching pose for most Combos. Some projectiles can fly over the frame if they are not hitscan based.

Weapon Type: Tonfa

Polarity: D

Rarity: Rare

Combos

(Note: P stands for Parry proc in a 360 degree; PF for Parry Front, PB for Parry Back. All directional procs are in a 180 degree arc of the direction the player is facing, and this can be changed with every button press.)

Laughing Fractal: E + EPF + EPB + E (2x, Impact)

Similar to Cold Vendetta. Laughing Fractal's attack pattern is as follows:

- A single sweep to the left.

- The tonfa gyrates with a sweep to the right. Parries from Front.

- Crouch, sweeps around the back of the WF to the left again. Parries from Back.

- Strikes forward with Impact proc.

Retaliating Arc: E + RMB + Down P + E (2x) + E (Slam) + E (2x, Impact)

One of the more difficult combos to execute due to the RMB and Down button input simultaneously, Retaliating Arc makes up for it with all-round defense and two powerful staggers

- Cartwheel backwards and does a 360 spin with the tonfa. Parries all round.

- Dashes forwards and leaps in a downward spiral, dealing an AOE slam.

- Deals two fast jabs to the targets in front for 2x damage and Impact proc.

Omen's Reprisal: E + EPF + Up (2x, Impact) + EPB + EPF + RMB + E (4x, Impact)

A very immobile combo with incredible attack and parrying speed, while retaining mobility. Good for advancing objectives, it comes at the cost of low AOE presence.

- Leans out to the front and spins the tonfa for 2x damage and impact proc.

- Shifts slightly to the left, handsprings forward into a rear parry followed by a front parry and sweep.

- Dashes forward while rotating clockwise, spinning both tonfa in a tiny AOE for an all-round parry and 4x damage + impact proc.

Anemic Harlequin: E + EPF + Hold + E (2x) + E (2x, Impact) + Up + EPF (3x, Impact) + E (3x, Impact)

The only offensive combo in the mix, the Anemic Harlequin lets the user get up close and personal to not only dodge the incoming volley of projectiles and attacks with the roll, but dish out punishment in a decently sized AOE.

- Rolls forward and strikes twice, left and right, for 2x damage. The second hit deals an Impact proc.

- Deals an uppercut and tonfa spin strike combo while dashing forward slightly for a guaranteed stagger and 3x damage on top of Parrying from the Front.

- Reaches around for an elbow strike to a single target for 3x damage and Impact proc.

Gallant Fandango: Slide + E

- Frame does a handspring and swipe.

Faux Trepidation: Air + E (Slam)

Grim Mariposa: Wallrun + E

Laughing Fractal: Aiming at Downed Enemy + E

New Weapon: Ajax

Named after the strongest of the Achaeans in the legend of Troy, the Ajax is a pair of heavy titanium tonfa that deal significant concussive damage upon impact. Its relatively heavier frame is offset by the powerful innate Impact proc chance it receives, and it hides an interesting secret besides its relatively low physical damage output: all of its attacks have a brief auto-Parry on hit.

Statistics

Mastery Level 3

Weapon Slot Melee

Normal Attacks

Physical Damage 60.0

- Impact 40.0

- Puncture 10.0

- Slash 10.0

Crit Chance 13.5%

Crit Multiplier 1.5x

Attack Rate 1.0

Status Chance 25.0%

Stamina 15

Jump Attacks

Physical Damage 120.0

Slam Attacks

Physical Damage 60.0

Radius 6 meters

Slide Attacks

Physical Damage 360.0

Wall Attacks

Physical Damage 240.0

Stance

Gemini Cross

Jester's Waltz

Stance Polarity D

Edited by Tjartie

I second this idea, i am rather fond of the idea of a more defensive posture being available, since we really don't have well, anything on the defensive side of melee. (sword & shield were cool but the shield served little defensive purpose other than its staggering blows.)

I figure it would be easy to make Impact based tonfa weapons using the current animations. They could be like nightsticks police use, theyre essentially the same shape. Making them focus on counters for damage is a great way to make them interesting.

I dont know how effective they would be in considering how hostile the game is to melee users, but i'd like to try them.