Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime Gear Powershell Script

I'm keeping track of what prime parts I need in a text file. I like to write the part name and drop location there. The problem I encountered is that the forum post (4/10/15) is organized by mission. But I like to keep my notes organized by part name. It is cumbersome to fish through the forum post and paste bits and pieces into my notes. My solution was to write a PowerShell script that can process the forum post and give a list sorted by part name. The script just outputs a sorted list. And I can copy what I need from there. 

Here is a link to my script, support files, and an example of the output. It is a ZIP file. 

The way it works is:

1) I copy the contents of the forum post into 'Prime Gear Forum Post.txt'. Take a look at the example in the ZIP file to see what belongs in 'Prime Gear Forum Post.txt'.

2) I run the PowerShell script. 

3) The output is saved in 'Prime Gear Formatted.txt'

4) I copy what I need from 'Prime Gear Formatted.txt' into my notes. 

I have my output indented by five spaces to fit into my notes. The spacing can be changed. You have to modify/remove the leading spaces in the string template. You can find the area in the script by searching for five consecutive spaces in notepad or the ISE (some explanation below). You can find out more by searching online for PowerShell format operator. 

Depending on what version of Windows you use, you might need to download and install PowerShell (for free) from Microsoft. Most newer computers will already have PowerShell installed. 

If you've never run a PowerShell script before, you will likely encounter the remote execution policy. You can find instructions about how to run local scripts by searching online. 

You will need to update the paths in the script to point to where you saved the files on your computer. My path points to my 'Warframe' directory under my documents. 

If you've used PowerShell before, it should be easy to make the necessary adjustments to get the script working. 

I have a tip for using the script. I like to load it in Windows PowerShell ISE (the "IDE" for PowerShell). This way, you can edit it easily with syntax highlighting, tab completion, etc. Even after I am done editing, I like to use ISE because I can just press the play button to execute the script. (I use this more often for a trading script I use. Here, you'll probably run the script only once in a while.)

I am willing to answer basic questions about getting PowerShell and my script to work. 

----------

Changes

- This will not give errors on the question marks (??????) when new items are added to the void. 

- I added the output file as a variable. 

----------

Original

----------

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...