Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Defense Mission Ai Or The Lack Of It!

ZWarhammer

Anyone else annoyed by some of the AI behaviors on the defense missions ? I'm aiming this mostly towards the infested but i think it could apply to all of the factions.

Ever had times when you're desperately trying to defend the cryo pod but enemies just keep running past you and focusing down the pod instead of you ? dunno about you but this is how i lose most of my defense missions, this is especially problematic when you don't have any crowd control abilities and when it's also lagging on top of that it's just impossible to do anything.

You can't have Frost on every mission and even if you did it does't effect the infested. I could  see myself holding off 10 or 20 more waves if they AI did't act like this, it would make going for higher levels on defense missions less frustrating.

There are many ways to fix this, making the AI simply not ignore you while you're near the cryo pod is one way to go about it so if you're too far away from the cryo pod or if there is no one near it they could attack otherwise that's when they should start focusing it. 

Alternatively you could implement a new aggro mechanic, say if you attack them with a melee weapon when they are focusing the pod they should automatically switch to you.

But seriously how can you expect to defend the pod if your warframe does't have any crowd control abilities and there are 20 toxic ancients pummeling the damn thing while ignoring you completely, you're best hope is to go in a melee range trying to push them off while swimming in poison and getting constantly dunked by the one ancient that decided to focus you.

The only other thing i can think of is a new survival mode where you're just locked in a room of a reasonable size and you have to survive. Say: you could leave every 5 waves or something like that but implement decent rewards for the longer times survived.

I know that some people are just gonna write this off cause they play a certain warframe that can deal with this in some ways but keep in mind that not all frames can do that and the way it works is annoying in general.

Please support this topic if you agree.

Any suggestions on how to improve the ideas mentioned or presenting new ones are more than welcome. 

If you have any reasons as of why this is't a good idea do mention but please be specific and within reason.

Thank you for taking your time to read through this matter and have a wonderful day.

The AI goal is to attack the Cyro-pod and nothing else unless damage by the Warframe player. The moment the get attack, they re-sight their focus onto you.

Whenever I do defense missions, I tend to go grouping up with players with a nyx. (Excellent crowd control).

You really don't understand that the objective is the whole point of a 'Defense' mission. Yes some people would like a survival type mission but your on an ego trip if you think your the center of the universe in these missions. If your frame lacks CC then play with a team who has crowd control, that's the point of a team game. Trying to solo endless waves is just setting yourself up for failure, your a ninja not the juggernaut.

What's the fun in being glued to the cryo pod ? every time you leave it for a minute it starts getting focused down.. what's the point of all the extra rooms on the map or rather the maps to begin with ? you're gonna be within 10 meters of the cryo pod almost all the time.

Also there is no way to defend the pod when you have no cc a couple of ancients attacking it is enough to lose the mission in seconds does that sound like fun times to you ?

The only reason people do defense missions is reason#1 farming reason#2 playing friends ( that makes everything silly fun) other than that i could never see myself doing infested defense missions for "fun".