Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Underclocking Mods - The Simplest Implementation I Can Think Of

PapaKicks

I posted this in the original thread, but I thought it was a good enough idea to make a new thread. As a novice programmer I believe this would be much easier to implement (but also less useful than the original proposal). It would allow you to use a single fully ranked mod when you otherwise couldn't. 

Whatever mod you add last is automatically deleveled.

Example one:
You have 11 mod points...
You drop in a mod with 9 points...
You have 2 mod points left, you drop in a mod with 6 points, it automatically scales down to 2 points, (rank 0).
You have no mods points left...
If you level the weapon to 12 mod points, the underclocked mod automatically increases to rank 1.

Example two:
You have 4 mod points...
The mod automatically scales down to 4 points (rank 1).
You have no mod slots left...

i was thinking sliders to manually adjust which mods you want to underclock, an automatic method won't suit everybody.

If you want to switch which mod is underclocked you simply put that mod in last. I don't see the issue.

Already been brought up before with a bit of better explanation in another Topic post. In Livestream 5, they said instead of that, they're going to be doing 'Mod Defusion' where you decrease the Mod rank by separating fusion cores from the mod.

It's a more of a 'Risk over Reward' system to prevent people from using the same mod over all their guns by just selecting which level they want (pretty much you defuse a high rank mod and waste materials that were used to fuse it).

The Defusion idea is junk. (no offense to the devs). If they are going to do the defusion idea, why bother at all? It undermines the entire point of underclocking. If you want permanence (which I guess they do) then the current system is just fine.

Finetuning mod levels would be absolute hell not to mention the possibility of breeding bugs when swapping/leveling mods/weapons.

And programming wise the mod underclocking isn't problematic, it just needs an interface.

Why would finetuning mod levels be absolute hell? A rank 2 mod is a rank 2 mod, it's not like it's stats change between an underclocked and regular rank 2.

Edited by Akivoodoo

Already been brought up before with a bit of better explanation in another Topic post. In Livestream 5, they said instead of that, they're going to be doing 'Mod Defusion' where you decrease the Mod rank by separating fusion cores from the mod.

It's a more of a 'Risk over Reward' system to prevent people from using the same mod over all their guns by just selecting which level they want (pretty much you defuse a high rank mod and waste materials that were used to fuse it).

Finetuning mod levels would be absolute hell not to mention the possibility of breeding bugs when swapping/leveling mods/weapons.

And programming wise the mod underclocking isn't problematic, it just needs an interface.

i was thinking sliders to manually adjust which mods you want to underclock, an automatic method won't suit everybody.

If you want to switch which mod is underclocked you simply put that mod in last. I don't see the issue.

The Defusion idea is junk. (no offense to the devs). If they are going to do the defusion idea, why bother at all? It undermines the entire point of underclocking. If you want permanence (which I guess they do) then the current system is just fine.

Why would finetuning mod levels be absolute hell? A rank 2 mod is a rank 2 mod, it's not like it's stats change between an underclocked and regular rank 2.

I agree with the Defusion idea being bad, but they're adding it for the people that actually liked the Idea (which some of the people in the Livestream agreed with the Defusion idea). My idea is to get several mods and lv them up in a order line so you have a X mods with each mod being at a certain lv.

Example: Nyx's Mind Control Ability.

Have 4 mods of it, 1 at unranked, 1 at Rank 1,2,3... there you go. If you need to switch it to a lower lvl, you got one to spare for it :L

And since you have unlimited mod space, you can easily just filter it into name order and put it on Nyx.

I agree with the Defusion idea being bad, but they're adding it for the people that actually liked the Idea (which some of the people in the Livestream agreed with the Defusion idea). My idea is to get several mods and lv them up in a order line so you have a X mods with each mod being at a certain lv.

Example: Nyx's Mind Control Ability.

Have 4 mods of it, 1 at unranked, 1 at Rank 1,2,3... there you go. If you need to switch it to a lower lvl, you got one to spare for it :L

And since you have unlimited mod space, you can easily just filter it into name order and put it on Nyx.

If they continue with the defusion idea I will wind up doing this also, in the long term anyway. Kind of sad.

The destructive fission mechanic they presented in the livestream doesn't solve the fundamental problems the underclocking idea was meant to address: reasonable flexibility when switching to a new or different Warframe or weapon. It allows to fine-tune a single build (albeit at a potentially astronomical cost), but that's not terribly difficult to do with a calculator.

As for automatic mod rank adjustment, it doesn't give you the same amount of flexibility; in particular, it doesn't allow you to manually control the capacity use across three or more mods such that none of them are operating at full potential. Honestly, having clickable arrows next to the capacity of a mod and a colorized indicator on the rank hashes to show the mod's current clock versus its current rank wouldn't be complicated from a user perspective.

As for automatic mod rank adjustment, it doesn't give you the same amount of flexibility; in particular, it doesn't allow you to manually control the capacity use across three or more mods such that none of them are operating at full potential. Honestly, having clickable arrows next to the capacity of a mod and a colorized indicator on the rank hashes to show the mod's current clock versus its current rank wouldn't be complicated from a user perspective.

I thought it was considered too complicated from a developer perspective. Thus my simplified suggestion here.

You make it sound like it has been set in stone. That's inaccurate. They merely said that they were considering that as an option during the livestream. It's still possible that an underclocking system might be implemented. That said, the defusion system is both extremely unpopular and highly illogical. If the aim is to get people to play more / try to get more mods, it's not going to happen with the defusion system.

Say you currently have a lvl 4 mod. Under an underclocking system, you would know that you can bring it up to lvl 5 and still use it. Thus you will be motivated to continue finding dupes / fusion cores to bring your mod up to lvl 5. However, if you know that you can no longer use it on some weapons the moment you bring it to lvl 5, you're not going to bother trying to level it up since the extra 15% dmg simply isn't worth losing the ability to use the mod on all your other weapons. In fact, the notion that you will lose all your effort if you defuse it only adds to the caution and deters people from fusing their mods upwards. In other words, all the devs have to do is to think through this carefully and they'll realise how much better an underclocking system is.

You make it sound like it has been set in stone. That's inaccurate. They merely said that they were considering that as an option during the livestream. It's still possible that an underclocking system might be implemented. That said, the defusion system is both extremely unpopular and highly illogical. If the aim is to get people to play more / try to get more mods, it's not going to happen with the defusion system.

Say you currently have a lvl 4 mod. Under an underclocking system, you would know that you can bring it up to lvl 5 and still use it. Thus you will be motivated to continue finding dupes / fusion cores to bring your mod up to lvl 5. However, if you know that you can no longer use it on some weapons the moment you bring it to lvl 5, you're not going to bother trying to level it up since the extra 15% dmg simply isn't worth losing the ability to use the mod on all your other weapons. In fact, the notion that you will lose all your effort if you defuse it only adds to the caution and deters people from fusing their mods upwards. In other words, all the devs have to do is to think through this carefully and they'll realise how much better an underclocking system is.

well said very good arguement... the same i am doin at mom i have some mods at pretty lwo lvls because i find them less important than other mods i will probably lvl if i find the fusion cores in the future.

Wish I could say that they would consider doing the Underclock idea over the Defusion one... but if they do either, they do the Defusion because it's more risky. If they were to do the Underclock idea, they would have people keep using 1 mod over all their weapons/warframes. Easily upgraded by Fusion cores and Duplicates. Too easy for anyone to get 1 of each mod and fully upgrade them to the max and adjust the setting to fit what they need.

I already understand the details of the Underclock so explaining to me isn't worth the time or effort. And I believe there have been posts already explaining the full concept of it. If they were to add the Underclock one, I'd be only bothering to find 1 of each mod like everyone else would.

They've been trying to add "More Risk More Reward" but so far that's been just a pile of fail with the Defense missions. Regardless of level, you still get Common mods more over Rare mods and has been proven over BSBWarframe's livestream (reached Wave 80 for a Uncommon Hellfire Mod).

That said, I do hope you understand my view at this and not assume that I am making promises over this because it isn't... I'm more of lines of showing disappointment over the Defusion system that they came up with over attempting the Underclock. Not quiting the game over it however, I'd just waste more time getting dupes and ranking them up individually than use the Defusion.

I posted this in the original thread, but I thought it was a good enough idea to make a new thread. As a novice programmer I believe this would be much easier to implement (but also less useful than the original proposal). It would allow you to use a single fully ranked mod when you otherwise couldn't. 

Whatever mod you add last is automatically deleveled.

Example one:
You have 11 mod points...
You have 2 mod points left, you drop in a mod with 6 points, it automatically scales down to 2 points, (rank 0).
You have no mods points left...
If you level the weapon to 12 mod points, the underclocked mod automatically increases to rank 1.

Example two:
You have 4 mod points...
The mod automatically scales down to 4 points (rank 1).
You have no mod slots left...

I think this idea is great if u add few tweaks to it.

Think about it

Let's Say u play Frame 1 in some random mission, u just finished the mission u cleared every part of it it took a while, so mission completed.

Only to see an alert is about to finish u got about 2min to enter it or u will miss it.

In this alert u see Frame 1 u ware using is not that good for that alert u want to switch to let say trinity..

So in order to get the new warframe ready for fight u need to remove mods and match the polaraties in order to get best posible outcome for that frame.

Imagane if u could just press Move mods that auto adjust on other frame and u're done. Sure mods wont be perfekt but still u will get decent adjustment quickly, and be able to play that alert on 90% capacity.

I think most of the peaple that play warframe play atleast 3-4 frames couse game forces u to have more frames and weapons in order to rank up. 

Make it easy to atleast switch betwin them its allready painfull to play other frames that i dont like just to rank up. 

I mean for the players if it was implemented in your way. Imagine if you wanted two mods at a specific level.

I mean for the players if it was implemented in your way. Imagine if you wanted two mods at a specific level.

First off min-maxing while leveling up is not something you should waste a ton of time on.

Secondly this proposal would allow for more refined min-maxing. You can choose which mods you want, and which one to down rank. Right now you can only choose which mods you want. Do I go with stun or reload? - versus - Do I go with stun 5 and reload 2? or reload 5 and stun 2?

This is a benefit not a downside.

Or am I missing your point?

I think this idea is great if u add few tweaks to it.

Think about it

Let's Say u play Frame 1 in some random mission, u just finished the mission u cleared every part of it it took a while, so mission completed.

Only to see an alert is about to finish u got about 2min to enter it or u will miss it.

In this alert u see Frame 1 u ware using is not that good for that alert u want to switch to let say trinity..

So in order to get the new warframe ready for fight u need to remove mods and match the polaraties in order to get best posible outcome for that frame.

Imagane if u could just press Move mods that auto adjust on other frame and u're done. Sure mods wont be perfekt but still u will get decent adjustment quickly, and be able to play that alert on 90% capacity.

I think most of the peaple that play warframe play atleast 3-4 frames couse game forces u to have more frames and weapons in order to rank up. 

Make it easy to atleast switch betwin them its allready painfull to play other frames that i dont like just to rank up. 

What you're asking for is a separate feature - "loadouts" or "presets" is what they are usually called. Save your current mods to a preset, then click the preset anytime you want to load it. It's something that should absolutely be added to the game. But most definitely should not be connected to this underclocking idea. You do not want the game to auto-pick which slots and polarities to use when you switch frames. It's far better to set it up yourself before hand, so that it's ready to go when you want it.

First off min-maxing while leveling up is not something you should waste a ton of time on.

Secondly this proposal would allow for more refined min-maxing. You can choose which mods you want, and which one to down rank. Right now you can only choose which mods you want. Do I go with stun or reload? - versus - Do I go with stun 5 and reload 2? or reload 5 and stun 2?

This is a benefit not a downside.

Or am I missing your point?

You are. I'm putting your idea against a proper system will full control over mod levels. In your case wanting more than one mod at lower level would involve mod juggling. Or just impossible depending on how it's coded (once again, auto adjusting would be far more bug-prone).

You are. I'm putting your idea against a proper system will full control over mod levels. In your case wanting more than one mod at lower level would involve mod juggling. Or just impossible depending on how it's coded (once again, auto adjusting would be far more bug-prone).

They rejected the idea of a full control system. Thus my current proposal. This idea is for ONLY one mod at lower level. It would be impossible to have two reduced using my design, that was kind of the point. And in that way I think it strikes a good balance between the two extremes.

@devs : I know you want some permanence to actions. Force the players to make some hard decisions. However I do not believe this is the right place to do so.

Enabling us to have more flexibility with mods encourages us to try new frames and weapons. This will sell more slots and items, potatoes, etc. You don't want to discourage experimentation in this regard.