Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy/loot/crafting Variety Overhaul

Tyrfalger

Enemy/Loot/Crafting Variety Overhaul

Wall o text warning, see TL;DR if you want. These paragraphs below are my thoughts and inspiration behind the topic. Skip down for the actual proposed ideas if you just care about those.

Anyway, maybe it's just me having played Warframe for a good chunk of time and killing tons of stuff but lately drops and enemies all seem to blend together and it's becoming dull. Starting out, I'd put effort into killing everything I come across for some much needed mods and the drop rate and variety seemed to tide me over for a while. At the time (month-ish ago) credits were slightly harder to come by so I spent them carefully. That made buying a new weapon really feel noteworthy, like I really earned it.

Then came alert, the credit tweak and the boss grinding for blueprints. Don't get me wrong, the alerts are great since its random and there is usually something new to get, although I have shaken my fists and yelled Khan when I missed something good during my off hours. Its just, with the mission credit reward tweak and after getting the artifacts and blueprint(s) for the things I wanted from alerts, there is not much else gear I look forward to.

Now that I have maxed a few warframes and weapons, a sizable amount of mods, more credits that I can spend; all thats left for me is just finishing the mission objective as fast as I can for those blueprints I want and alerts for the rest of the stuff. With Shade and cloak, 90% of the time I only kill enemies that are directly in my way to finishing the objective, and I just run past the rest of the mobs.

----------------------------(The actual ideas section)----------------------------

There needs to be more variety in everything you are put up against. Varied tile sets, missions and environments are good. Varied enemy types, also good, although different factions kinda do better or worse jobs at this. Ex. infested is pretty much everything zerg rushing at you. Grineer are better in that with the mix of melee, assault, heavy and sniper enemies.

Enemies should have more tactics/powers and weapons. Use of grenades, heavies using the shockwave slam, shield lancer knockdowns etc. are good starting out points. More unique mini bosses/heavies or a step below like lieutenants/elites. Ergo Grineer commanders are a sorta good example with their ability to switch teleport but have other commanders be able to do something else, like Loki's decoy (although obviously have a decent looking one instead of a grainy hologram) or Ash's smoke screen for cover. So far bosses are doing ok at this, although maybe have them pull powers from a set so its a little more random each time you fight them.

Essentially give these enemies 1 choice from a set of toned down versions of warframe powers. So you could be faced with 2 Commanders, with one of them able to pop decoys and the other a smoke screen. 

Now onto weapons/credits/crafting/loot. I feel as if enemies should reliably drop something concrete or meaningful rather than just a few credits or resources here and there. I saw another idea on the forums that sounded pretty good, essentially weapon blueprint fragments. Ergo, kill grineer enemies using a grakata and it'd be likely that you'd pick up a grakata blueprint fragment. Of course, you would need a significant amount of them to make an actual blueprint.

You'd be limited to those weapons that are shared by warframes and enemies, which is why enemies should have more weapon variety. Have a grineer wield twin vipers or something. We're already seeing this weapon cross over/sharing anyway. Maybe even weapons not specific to their faction?

This brings me to credits and the shop. So far, It seems like I'm basically substituting credits for blueprint fragments at the shop. So, to make crafting a bit more interesting, have these non-shop bought blueprints create slightly modified weapons. With blueprints assembled from fragments, the weapons they create might have a polarity slot difference or perhaps different stats or maybe it comes with a unique weapon skin/decal/color scheme unlocked specific to that gun, something like that. (A crafted pink lex anyone?)

This also sorta deals with the idea of just crafting a weapon once and you're set with it forever and simply accumulating tons of materials. Now there is a more substantial material sink. Platinum spenders might be at a loss, so maybe make a blueprint fragment booster or I suppose adding platinum crafting blueprints to the shop?

TL;DR More variety with enemy weapons (enemies having reasonable non-faction specific weapons), tactics and powers (mini bosses/heavies having a single toned down warframe power, bosses pulling their powers randomly from a set), have enemies often drop weapon blueprint fragments corresponding with the weapon they are equipped with that craft slightly altered weapons (polarity, stats, color/skins) and ergo having a credit/material sink. But keeping platinum alternatives of course.

I would love to have some enemies that are completely immune to certain types of elemental damage.

I would also love to have some enemies that have only one single spot of weakness but completely immune to damage everywhere else.

I would love for the new enemies introduced to not just be more bullet spongues which is about 90% of our current enemy variety.

Bullet spongues are easily killed without using any form of thinking and coop strategy.

All they require are maxed out modded weapons and frames.

I used to play a game where they had enemies who could stun you and only your teammates can release you from the stun.

There were also enemies that could instantly incapacitate you, requiring teammates to help you.

There were also enemies with only the head being the weak spot and ultra high damage.

There was also an enemy type that is very much similar to the Grineer shield except he was very good at shielding and it always require one player to distract him while the other kill him.

We really need better enemies to truly make this a coop game where players actually have to cooperate.