The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Resolution Switch Problem.

nipsen

I'm running WF on my laptop, and putting it on my second screen via hdmi sometimes. Or just running surround sound on the receiver, with the game on the laptop. I run it on half resolution (1280x720, on a 1920x1080 monitor) so I don't need to turn off all the effects. And this normally works just fine.

But sometimes - and it really is random. It doesn't even seem to consistently happen over time, or after running the game once, or after switching to the desktop, or changing resolutions, etc. - when launching the game, or switching back from the desktop after checking the wiki, or something like that, when the game opens again, and the resolution switch happens, I get a full-screen context with the game in a half-size box in the middle of the screen.

Quitting and relaunching the game at that point seems to not make a difference. But it has happened that just launching the game again fixes it.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the intel scaling switch, and things of that sort. ..perhaps opening a 3d context with the intel card does something when the nvidia card takes over, I don't know. Maybe it happens when the nvidia card idles, or when the intel card writes to a specific address during runtime.. really, who knows.

So I suppose I'm sort of asking the devs to please take a look at this and figure out a way to work around it somehow (or possibly find a way to reproduce this - I can't seem to manage it consistently - and sent it to Intel. Or maybe drop in some update workaround via nvidia's profiles, they seem to be doing this with a lot of different games).

I know that the soundcard devices, virtual and physical, seem to be addressed in a specific way, and I'm assuming that picking the first and second screen is done in the same way, using direct references that are detected by the launcher, or something of that sort. And that this could create these inconsistencies.

And maybe this detection could be moved into the game's actual engine context instead. That you could add for example an option to switch screens (like you might also switch sound devices) through the menu in the game. Based on detection in the current context.

I think maybe this also should be a relatively high priority, since this game is often run with various programs run in the background, like steam, skype, browsers, and so on, that write to inactive screen contexts.

(My setup is an i7m w/ their horrible internal graphics + nvidia 840m combo.

Note that I don't get any errors in the logs, and the game doesn't actually hang - and therefore... likely intel problem. I don't think this problem happens when using the same resolution in the game as on the desktop - it happens if you have a different resolution, so the resolution has to switch when opening the context.)