Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The Alerts System Needs Changing.

Argoms

If the ? alerts are generated per-user, ( the rewards global, but you don't know which will hit on the rare) and just associated to the planet, then you don't know which is rare and have incentive to, on average run 1.5 missions. Combine this with my previous long post.

ie. If there is a rare available that day, and you don't know which is the rare, you'd have to run at least one mission, and up to three to get the rare.

On its face this would increase participation. It's likely that some would say "I don't have time to run two missions per day" but they would probably not be well received.

Edited by hywod

A typical (non-defense, non-overlevel) mission lasts 5-10 minutes for me. I really doubt that anyone would complain that they deserve more while playing for less than half an hour in a day, especially when the alert is per-user.

A simple factor is make Alerts completly random loot (a chance at anything in the alert loot table) to the group, like capture, raid, defence and other missions that give rewards to the group on completion.  I went with group rewards because thats how current missions work so no need to change that code to individual rewards.

This is a very good way to do this. I like this idea, random rewards rather than set ones. At least part of the time. 

I think it would be good to have a mix of these, real random rewards and announced (through twitter and simply on the actual alert.) rewards. You can open up the alert and see either a ? OR you can see an Artifact Mod. I think using both of these would be a better idea rather than one or another. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alerts definitely need a makeover. Sure it hurts, to sleep over a potato alert, or be on the road, job, whatever. Those are luxury items and you can stomach it to a point. Vauban on the other hand is harsh, really harsh.

Here's my reasoning.

It was said that the alerts were full RNG. I do not buy this. I feel that items are weighted for their frequency of appearance. (similar how we just saw reaper handle appear on almost every void 1 award). I really don't feel like pooling the data, but if someone does it for me I'll do the math and tell you the approximate chances of any given item.  Vauban is a huge issue here because it's not one alert, it's three different alerts.

Back to RNG. Here's how you can say it's all RNG but it's not fully random. You have it pick a number from 1-1000. Within those numbers items correspond. Say a potato is anywhere from 1-10. While Shotgun Scavanger is anywhere from 11 to 60. Sure RNG determines what we get, but each item is weighted with a different chance. That is not full randomness.

I don't have any data to support any of this, but from months of playing this game how often did you see two of the SAME items appear in one day, and those items being Artifacts? Almost on daily basis right? How often did you see a potato appear twice in a day (not counting live stream)? Maybe 3-4 times in past 3-4 months. If it was fully random, sure it's possible, but not very likely.

To me the biggest blow was putting Vauban on alert. I really am interested for the frame, but obtaining it without money is absurd. I can do the math if you guys want, I can tell you by a quick glance that it's not pretty.  My proposition for Vauban is. Take it off alert and put it in reward piles with banshee OR keep it on alert and take it off market completely, so it's an exclusive rare frame. I'm pretty sure the latter option will never see any consideration.

I have every frame except Loki and Vauban. Only one I paid for is Excalibur Prime, and I refuse to use platinum for any warframe. I feel I should earn my frames. There is no earning here. This is being at a mercy of an algorithm I can only speculate at.

Overall I agree with OP here. I am kind of surprised how much negative feedback he's got from this. Also I love the posts about statistics from people that have no clue what they are talking about. It's entertaining.