Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Battle Scars

Sorakamii

Warframe are ninja.They go into constant battle get shot up,slashed,burnt,frozen,shocked,ect but come out unscared. I think the Warframe should show some sort of damage during the mission.Your armor should show that you've been in battle.It resets after you die in the mission of course. If you complete the mission,it will still show until you go into your armory and click a repair button...free of charge,well because your supposed to get hurt in battle. Then,it should show an animation showing the warframe being repaired depending on the amount of damage.It should start from instant repair, all the way to 30 second repairs.If you choose you can keep the scars but they shouldnt be so visible that theres a big gapping hole in your arm.It should be able to be seen but not distract.

That's a lot of animation to do. Though, it would add veracity to the game dynamics.

Well i understand thats heavy animation,but remember we dont know when update 9 is coming out so they have time to be able to show bullet damage and melee damage to objects,enemies,and warframes.

I agree more with the poster who suggested "Battle damage" as part of an unlockable skins line-up.  Like a "Savage Veteran- Excalibur", or "Mangled Assassin-Ash".  It would just need to be decals on the skins showing damage, no animations needed, probably easier than creating an entire "point damage/skin change/placed damage decal in the frame during a mission

but I totally endorse the concept

I agree more with the poster who suggested "Battle damage" as part of an unlockable skins line-up.  Like a "Savage Veteran- Excalibur", or "Mangled Assassin-Ash".  It would just need to be decals on the skins showing damage, no animations needed, probably easier than creating an entire "point damage/skin change/placed damage decal in the frame during a mission

Yea,i can agree with that

This made me think "What happens when a bullet hits a Warframe, does it dent it? Does the material mold around it? Do sparks fly when it hits the armor?" Just a thought, I mean, blood and sparks fountain when you rain bullets on enemies. Not much happens when the bullets are raining on you, or is Warframe tech really that efficient at protecting the wearer? Hmm.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the idea, but I would love it if DE focused on adding more gameplay and more difficulty at this point.

*edit*

On second thought, this kind of thing would be fairly easy to implement for the art team and the coding should be pretty straight forward. It's been done in multiple games and there are probably hundred examples of it. Though if we are indeed as deeply tied in inspiration to Neon Genesis Evangelion as I think we are, then perhaps the damaged warframes could be quite a jarring sight for any player that feels a "human" connection with their frame (not saying that it wouldn't be awesome) and I doubt that they would go as far as that.

I guess the main question pertaining to the topic of this thread should be; To which extent should the warframe display it's damages?

Other interesting questions..

How much damage should a warframe look like it has taken before it ceases to function?

Should it affect animation?

Should it affect warframe efficiency? (running speed, melee damage/speed, ability power)

I'm sure the community has a lot of opinions about this and I'd personally love to hear each one of them, and perhaps see some fan made concept art.

Edited by Mohfuu

This made me think "What happens when a bullet hits a Warframe, does it dent it? Does the material mold around it? Do sparks fly when it hits the armor?" Just a thought, I mean, blood and sparks fountain when you rain bullets on enemies. Not much happens when the bullets are raining on you, or is Warframe tech really that efficient at protecting the wearer? Hmm.

I think that the shields warframes use are inspired by mass effects kinetic shield. They stop the bullet before they connect. But what happens after shields deplete :D... I think this visual damage is a good idea. Maybe it could come to play only after your shield deplete so that they make sense. So only hits that come after your shields are down cause any visual damage.

I think that the shields warframes use are inspired by mass effects kinetic shield. They stop the bullet before they connect. But what happens after shields deplete :D... I think this visual damage is a good idea. Maybe it could come to play only after your shield deplete so that they make sense. So only hits that come after your shields are down cause any visual damage.

Yea this would be perfect

AGREED!!! if only as an optional skin that unlocks with large amounts of kills/battles

^This. But easiest way to do it is tie it to Mastery Level, no?

It could have battle scars but also other lil details like say, extra plating that looks like it was added as a repair, or different shoulder pad armor or gauntlet in one arm... Things that say you got around and are more badass for it.

It could have battle scars but also other lil details like say, extra plating that looks like it was added as a repair, or different shoulder pad armor or gauntlet in one arm... Things that say you got around and are more badass for it.

Warframes are not exchangeable parts. If not, we would not have semi-organic suits called Warframes but mechanical ones like the Ironman's one or Space Marine's Power Armor.

That said, I'm all for some bullet/melee damage effects, decals and skins.

Edited by matrixEXO

I can agree to this, I do like the idea overall.

Yeah, in theory it would be quite simple to put in. Just some grey splotches or even if you wanted to get fancy, at another layer of texture and bump mapping. Perhaps even some areas that are attuned to your warframe's energy color and are unaffected by light. (glowing bits) that would be simple to do. Really just another layer or texture and a bump map. But every engine has it set up differently and modifications can be made along the way. Its possible the characters are only equipped to handle one layer at a time and this would require a complete overhaul. I know basic enemies have this concept already built in but we might have it different. We don't really have enough information on how it works and I'm sure there are people who are way smarter than me that could explain it better, but the point is its easy.

That being said I do agree with  Mohfuu and Caliocerion how this could be inaccurate to how warframes function and disrupt the art style of the game. Personally I think it would be a cool feature and if they had a poll on it I'd be down. I just think they have other things to worry about right now.

Warframes auto regenerate armor. As long as your Warframe health is recovering, you armor is regenerating.

Theres no such thing as regenerative armor,they can regenerate shields and health but their actual warframe armor should show effects of firefights