Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Linux Launcher

jc9816

Hello,

I just wanted to know if it is possible to get out a Linux based launcher soon. I have 2 different computers and the one that I use most of the time is running windows at way less than optimal settings. My linux computer is better. I just sort of didn't know where this would go so I put it here.

Thank you for helping

they won't make a linux version of the game because everyone uses windows (i guess they like paying for things that they can get for free) there are a few linux users but not enough for non-linux users to care enough to make linux software

I hope they will port it, too. More and more games being ported to Linux clearly shows there's a market and as this is a free2play game with optional payment option they would even get more money (Linux users usually pay more, even if they could get things for free. See the humble bundles or kickstarter projects for example).

Also they should keep the SteamBox in mind. A early Linux port will get them free beta testers to ensure everything will run great on it.

Edited by V10lator

I hope we get a Linux port, but we prolly won't for a long time. Since the file structure, executables and libraries, and the whole graphics API are different. I don't expect anything until after OB is done.

Any game that uses DirectX is pure nightmare to port for Linux, gotta rewrite whole graphics system. Not gonna happen Im affraid, DE is a small company...

That said, I don't really know how this game performs in DX9 mode, you could try wine to find out...

but anything newer than DX9 is unsupportet under linux (as far as i know, but korrekt me if I'm wrong)

you can create a windows virtual machine and use it on your linux, just an idea. don't know if there is any software for playing virtual machines on linux though. might be

AFAIK neither Qemu nor Virtualbox are very good at intensive 3d, or maybe just the games I have played....

Any game that uses DirectX is pure nightmare to port for Linux, gotta rewrite whole graphics system. Not gonna happen Im affraid, DE is a small company...

the more fundamental step might be to port the game engine to linux (the assumption is that the code hacking done is very insignificant). so the same code can be run cross-platform

As suggested to the Mac poster who issued the same topic about Macs, I will restate it.

Dual boot?

sure, you have to *cough* buy another copy of windows, but windows is recognized as a larger gaming platform than our unix/linux based friends. Not to mention, unless you are running some oddball black market hardware, your computer should run windows.

As suggested to the Mac poster who issued the same topic about Macs, I will restate it.

Dual boot?

sure, you have to *cough* buy another copy of windows, but windows is recognized as a larger gaming platform than our unix/linux based friends. Not to mention, unless you are running some oddball black market hardware, your computer should run windows.

Correct on the point that windows is the wider gaming plattform

false on the point that every pc should run windows.

Linux to the date supports most Hardware OOB which you need special drivers in windows for...

Linux is open Source so theres a community continually developing for...

That has nothing to do with "oddball black market hardware ;)

Linux is the OS for hipsters who think Snow leopard is too mainstream.

I don't see a problem with modifying the game for linux, but I also don't see the point; they've got a perfect sized audience on windows servers alone. especially considering they havent finished the Development of the main game, I don't think they should be jumping int variant making so soon.

Linux the OS for hipsters? Wut? I have heard many things said about Linux (and most of them wrong), but this is new.

Also, the dude above was right stating that it's not an easy feat to port a DX game to OpenGL.

They could simply get in contact with Valve. Valve has a nice little abstraction layer called toGL which translates DirectX to OpenGL on the fly. AFAIK it's used by all source games. For more information: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017850/

I'm sure it'll cost them though, and i doubt that "toGL" is very perfect. but it's probably a good tool to have access to. But it couldn't hurt to try, valve are really trying hard to encourage game developers to make their games linux compatible, and theres a good reason to do that too (since linux compatible games are super easy to port over to ANYTHING else than linux.)

Edited by Rabcor

@Rabcor They will never know if/how much it costs if they don't ask. ;) I don't think it will be that expensive, as you said Valve wants others to port their games. According to Valve (just listen to the few minutes about togl) the application doesn't even know that it talks to togl, it thinks it still talks normally to DirectX. Also they tell it's DirectX 9, 10 and 11 compatible. And they didn't develop it specially for Linux, they are using it for their Mac ports since years, so I think it's well tested and stable. Last: It's not a tool, it's a library the game talks to while running (like the Wine translation, just better. They told they got 20%+ performance over talking to DirectX directly).

//EDIT: And if it's really to expensive for them they could do something like a kickstarter project to get the money. I would give them all I have on PayPal atm without even thinking about it and I bet others will, too.

Edited by V10lator