The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Desiring A Touch Of Clarification On "oro" From De

Morec0

During Devstream 52, Steve said:

"That is the Oro, which represents the resurrection ability of Tenno and other enemies that Teshin is most concerned with" ( https://youtu.be/j7QVemHYKn4?t=50m30s )

While in-game Teshin speaks about the Oro in one of his quotes as if it were unique to the mentioned enemy "Oro is the binding force for an enemy..." (the exact quote escapes me, but he doesn't mention Tenno alongside it).

As it is I'm thinking either this was a slip of the tongue on the part of Steve or Teshin left the clarification of the Tenno having it as well out (focusing specifically on the enemies that have it) because of the implied knowledge that the Tenno characters he's speaking to should know they have Oro (which makes sense to do, like how you wouldn't, with any intent of respect, tell a character that is clearly human "you are a human").

So, I'm just looking for a little word-of-god clarification on the matter in the form of a Yes or No response to the below question:

"Is Oro something the Tenno have?"

Answer for the fans, my man!

Edited by Morec0

DISCLAIMER: This is all speculation on my part, but given what we know, this is the best conclusion that I was able to come up with.

Well, where else in the mythos do we find this Oro...

Orokin.

Oro - Means Gold in Italian, but in our mythos, it could be spirit or soul.

Kin - Related to, or descended from.

My guess, is whatever makes us... US, is in some way related to whatever makes the Sentients them.

More to the point, this means that gunning down the Sents will require us to pick up this Oro to stop them from rebuilding themselves in the field... will definitely add a new dimension to combat, that is for sure.

DISCLAIMER: This is all speculation on my part, but given what we know, this is the best conclusion that I was able to come up with.

Well, where else in the mythos do we find this Oro...

Orokin.

Oro - Means Gold in Italian, but in our mythos, it could be spirit or soul.

Kin - Related to, or descended from.

My guess, is whatever makes us... US, is in some way related to whatever makes the Sentients them.

More to the point, this means that gunning down the Sents will require us to pick up this Oro to stop them from rebuilding themselves in the field... will definitely add a new dimension to combat, that is for sure.

Oh, I'm completely on board with the idea that the Orokin and the Oro are tied together - I personally think that (wherever it came from) humanity found a way to harness what they would called "Oro" to the extent they were able to build a whole culture around it, ending the Void Era, starting the Orokin Era and causing them to take on the name "Oro"kin.

you don't need a dev to answer that, and it's clearly yes, because other Tenno drop Oro in the conclave when they're defeated.

Well, as some have suggested that may simply be for training purposes - like having soldiers use enemy tactics during combat practice to let each other get a feel for how to fight against them.

It's because of this suggestion and the aforementioned vagueness with which Teshin speaks about it in-game that I seek this clarrification.

If it turns out we do have the Oro - just to clear up any certainty - then could it be that the Oro is what allows a Tenno to change their warframe and physical form at will?

Potentially. I still wager that's more of the Warframe's doing than the Tenno's, but we'll need further clarification on WHAT Oro CAN do before we go that far.

In the Conclave

, Teshin says that Oro "is the binding force for the enemy, whom like the Tenno, can survive death." 

The wording is a bit vague here I admit, but the distinction between enemy and Tenno is crucial here I think, since if Oro was a thing for Tenno, he would have stated it more explicitly. The other problem I see with Tenno having Oro is that we have to specifically practice the function of taking a fallen enemy's Oro. If we had it all along, wouldn't we know everything about taking it already?

And besides, if it was the actual Oro we were taking from fallen Tenno during Conclave, wouldn't that mean that the specific Tenno is now dead for good?

In the Conclave

, Teshin says that Oro "is the binding force for the enemy, whom like the Tenno, can survive death." 

The wording is a bit vague here I admit, but the distinction between enemy and Tenno is crucial here I think, since if Oro was a thing for Tenno, he would have stated it more explicitly. The other problem I see with Tenno having Oro is that we have to specifically practice the function of taking a fallen enemy's Oro. If we had it all along, wouldn't we know everything about taking it already?

And besides, if it was the actual Oro we were taking from fallen Tenno during Conclave, wouldn't that mean that the specific Tenno is now dead for good?

Chimpanzees have thumbs which means they, like humans, can create tools. (Completely random example).

I don't think it's such a strange way of phrasing something if the people you're speaking to know it about themselves already.

Oro is the reason why bosses never canonically die for good no matter how many times we beat them up for their lunch money drops 

See, I don't buy that. Teshin not mentioning the Tenno have it for the above reason makes sense, but to specify these incoming enemies as having this ability specifically apart from the Grineer, Corpus, ect.? That highly implies to me that, of the enemies, ONLY these new ones have that.

Besides, if they COULD come back like that, what the hell would the Grineer be so worried about their genetic deterioration for?

See, I don't buy that. Teshin not mentioning the Tenno have it for the above reason makes sense, but to specify these incoming enemies as having this ability specifically apart from the Grineer, Corpus, ect.? That highly implies to me that, of the enemies, ONLY these new ones have that.

Besides, if they COULD come back like that, what the hell would the Grineer be so worried about their genetic deterioration for?

Thats why I said bosses, as in the ones that think for themselves and actually care about what happens to them, opposed to the footsoldiers that just think "KILL KILL KILL FOR THE QUEENS!!!" all day and have no regard for themselves.

The soldiers are cloned by the thousands so its not an issue, and besides if the soldiers live long enough they might start thinking for themselves and break away like SM did

Thats why I said bosses, as in the ones that think for themselves and actually care about what happens to them, opposed to the footsoldiers that just think "KILL KILL KILL FOR THE QUEENS!!!" all day and have no regard for themselves.

The soldiers are cloned by the thousands so its not an issue, and besides if the soldiers live long enough they might start thinking for themselves and break away like SM did

But the ENTIRE plight of the Grineer is that they're NOT able to live long enough! If the bosses were able to do this they'd be studied to harness that and let the rest of the Grineer follow through with that, but they're not, and Vor (before he himself is transformed) continues to lament of that fact - heck, this is the WHOLE reason for Regor's existence!

But the ENTIRE plight of the Grineer is that they're NOT able to live long enough! If the bosses were able to do this they'd be studied to harness that and let the rest of the Grineer follow through with that, but they're not, and Vor (before he himself is transformed) continues to lament of that fact - heck, this is the WHOLE reason for Regor's existence!

The leaders are allowed to stick around and think for themselves because they are important to the Grineer Empire.

Grunts don't last long so they have no time to think for themselves, only whats been indoctrinated to them. The point of Tyl Regor's research is to not only make the clones last longer but so they aren't falling apart right out of the test tube, thus eliminating the need for cyber enhancements and allowing the production of biologically stronger soldiers