Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Implementing A Test Client.

Hakaru

So, I've been watching people's reactions to changes from a few patches. Gorgon nerf, Hek nerf, Saryn's Molt nerf, Rhino's Iron Skin nerf, etc. And from DE's side of things, I see the attempt of balancing which I can see a need for. However, the path from Point A to Point B is questionable. But, to be fair, video game balancing is far from easy.

My suggestion to make the process easier: implement a Test Client for us to use and aid in fine tuning patches. Basically, it would be a separate version of the game that would allow us to play a WIP patch prior to actual launch to see how it fairs. The client would give us either everything unlocked to use in a sort of... "developers' mission" to see the patch in action and start number crunching.

Several games do this, TF2, Dota 2, LoL, etc.

Wait!! Everything unlocked!? Then why play release?

The test client will not be the full game. Not even remotely resemble a game worth playing. There will be only one very basic mission to test Frames and weapons on. And by very basic, I would say a room with a mob spawner and no objective. Plus there would/could be dev console notation on the screen to aid in the balancing process. Also, the test client can be run to only be used for a short period of time before DE shuts it down, polishes the patch, release it, then start working on the next patch. The patches used will obviously be unpolished and full of bugs but that leads me to this point:

What's the goal?

Well, the goal is teamwork. DE is obviously trying what they can to give us a great game and much of the community has a strong passion for the game. By using test client, the two groups can work together and bring about a much better efficiency in the patch construction and implementation. This could be a reduction in the amount of hot fixes needed and free up resources for DE to focus on the big patches that we are all so eager to get. The test client could give DE some much needed help and I'm sure many of you would like to do more to support Warframe.

I approve of this, if only because after reading a few more forum posts, the fact that apparently the Ember is now a better tank than the Rhino is something that I'm just flabbergasted got by DE, so some way they can get advance feedback on changes before rolling it out to the general public would be appreciated.

Considering all of the easy-to-find bugs that were found within seconds of the hotfix, this might be a good idea. Devs can't be expected to find every bug when they're working so hard to meet a deadline, even if it's an informal one. I wouldn't mind if the test-client was for founders only. Seems like people who paid $250 would most likely be willing to test future updates as well as vote on them.

Edited by Lumireaver

I'm sorry, but you DO realize that this is BETA, right? This IS the test client. We are playing the test client right now!

See this:

Dota 2 has test client and it's a beta. We can have beta betas.

Also, a test client and beta (going by the state of what most PC games are doing these days) are entirely different things. Nowadays, test clients are used to test incomplete and possibly highly unstable patches to find the kinks out of them. Usually, they are bare minimum assets as well. Take our latest Frame, Vauban, a test client version of him would have most likely been just a fill in model (like a hostage or something) just to test out his kit and see his numbers.

Beta, as used most of the time, is basically saying "our game is going to have issues, please bear with us." Basically a safety term given to a game that's released before completion. Nothing wrong with that, people like getting things early. But most Betas, like Dota 2, are complete to the point that they really can't be considered a beta by the original definition.