The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Computer Overworks Itself When Playing Online.

Ocaz

Question

When i play solo, my PC runs perfectly fine, 60 frames constantly no problem. Low temp and little noise as well. But when even one person joins my squad, even if they just sit there and do absolutely nothing my game jumps immensly in CPU usage to about 30% and the memory shoots up to 2000 MB. No other game does this that i own on PC, not even extremely high end games such as Dying Light with a full game even if im host there. But on Warframe, host or not (granted hosting makes my PC work much harder, about 40% CPU and 2300 MB memory. Even on all low settings after a bit of play i drop to 30 FPS. I assume its to cool things down inside but it goes right back to overworking itself. It never does this when i play alone.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers even PhysX

GTX 860m card

i7 4710HQ

16 gigs RAM

my bios is current version

Cores are unparked but i dont notice any difference parked or not, same issue. BUT unparking helps other games like MGS5 but not Warframe.

Not too happy with this, some feedback of any kind would be great because these problems arose after those AMD patches back in like 16.1 or whenever they came.... Not sure why they would conflict with me, but they have.

19 answers to this question

xD wow nailed it on the nose. Yes i have the Lenovo y50-70 and holy lord i experience massive FPS drops. If we could spread the word to get some love and attention on this thread i would enjoy seeing some performance fixes for mobile Nvidia GPUs, CPUs or whatever causes the problem. Ive overclocked the GPU on this thing to the max the Nvidia control panel allows and i still get problems. Its upsetting.

You got the Lenovo Y50-70 as well?

If so I copy the same issue its something with this laptop in cpu power that makes it run rubbish sometimes on warfame.

Chao, The Roaring Lion Warlord of Shadow Lords

Double Post: @TheRoaringLion, do u also experience absolutely no problems when playing solo? Just online is it?

Just bringing those two together so that Lion doesn't miss the question. Don't mind me.

Hosting is very CPU intensive, but an i7 should handle it pretty damn well. Might be a case for CPU parking. Look at this guide, might help you out a bit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1939190/increase-fps-cpu-intensive-games-windows.html

Once you've done that, also make sure you've got Multi-Threaded Rendering ticked (which you would not want ticked if parking is happening). Might see a nice bump in FPS.

Edited by KracsNZ

To say I get same issues on all Mobile gpu's I've seen it on lots of all those laptops.

I call warframe on this one, on my pc it works fine till a degree.

my desktop has a nice gpu but is not fully utilized for sure.

it stays around 30% as well on V-sinc and I got to enable that because it otherwise is not doable with the tearing.

Sys specs The Beast: 

Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)

Graphics W2253 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)

Storage

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA)
232GB Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00 (SATA)
119GB ADATA SP900NS34 (SSD)
465GB Seagate ST500LT0 12-1DG142 USB Device (USB (SATA))

Audio

Razer Surround Audio Controller

Computer type: Desktop

Hosting is very CPU intensive, but an i7 should handle it pretty damn well. Might be a case for CPU parking. Look at this guide, might help you out a bit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1939190/increase-fps-cpu-intensive-games-windows.html

Once you've done that, also make sure you've got Multi-Threaded Rendering ticked (which you would not want ticked if parking is happening). Might see a nice bump in FPS.

He already stated he did and I Tried as well this manner of unparking does not work anymore it is a coding issue in Warframe.

I unparked my gaming rig also but system load proves there is a issue in the warframe Evolution Engine, I get 30% overall load Cpu on all cores and same for GPU when with a squad, -+ 10% less when solo, but one thing I noticed is that Gpu load goes down when there is loads of stuff going on on the screen.

I recently did a TIII survival till 60min and well did not get freezes but Framerate dipped below the playable levels.

I get same results as the OP gets if I am with my parents and use my laptop it has same performance issues and is performing badly.

I tested Battlefield, Bioshock, Crysis series and 3Dmark and it was a good performer, no laggs or else.

Edited by TheRoaringLion

He already stated he did and I Tried as well this manner of unparking does not work anymore it is a coding issue in Warframe.

I unparked my gaming rig also but system load proves there is a issue in the warframe Evolution Engine, I get 30% overall load Cpu on all cores and same for GPU when with a squad, -+ 10% less when solo, but one thing I noticed is that Gpu load goes down when there is loads of stuff going on on the screen.

I recently did a TIII survival till 60min and well did not get freezes but Framerate dipped below the playable levels.

Soz mate, missed that part. Very odd. My current mobile laptop (which I play Warframe on when travelling), has an older i7-3632, and doesn't have the issues you two are experiencing. Hosting still causes the game to run slower but still well playable. I'll try hosting a game on it later and see how it performs, will monitor how the CPU reacts with other player.

I'm not quite sure what happens here because it seems like a combination of many things colliding. Warframe does have some bad/poorly made sections of its online capabilities, but as a singleplayer game it functions as well as any other game out there. But comparing the online mode to a game like Borderlands 2, it is vastly worse. Something on Warframe's end tells my CPU and GPU to work their asses off until they actually have to shut off or slow down so they can cool off. While on borderlands 2 playing with a full squad my PC never makes a peep. Quiet and low temp and everyone is blastin stuff everywhere PhysX effects on high and everything ultra.

Warframe however, on lowest settings with just one teamate, my PC becomes incredibly loud. All i hear is the whirring of my CPU and my fans. It makes me incredibly frustrated because i know its

1. Damaging my PC permanently.

2. Upsets me because i've tried so many things i know i cant fix it on my end, it is the Warframe staff's end.

Idk if this thread will get staff attention but im sure im not the only one on a mobile GPU experiencing these issues. It's quite a huge problem and I'm always playing solo now. I just joined a new clan too and i can hardly play with any of them because of this.

I'm not quite sure what happens here because it seems like a combination of many things colliding. Warframe does have some bad/poorly made sections of its online capabilities, but as a singleplayer game it functions as well as any other game out there. But comparing the online mode to a game like Borderlands 2, it is vastly worse. Something on Warframe's end tells my CPU and GPU to work their asses off until they actually have to shut off or slow down so they can cool off. While on borderlands 2 playing with a full squad my PC never makes a peep. Quiet and low temp and everyone is blastin stuff everywhere PhysX effects on high and everything ultra.

Warframe however, on lowest settings with just one teamate, my PC becomes incredibly loud. All i hear is the whirring of my CPU and my fans. It makes me incredibly frustrated because i know its

1. Damaging my PC permanently.

2. Upsets me because i've tried so many things i know i cant fix it on my end, it is the Warframe staff's end.

Idk if this thread will get staff attention but im sure im not the only one on a mobile GPU experiencing these issues. It's quite a huge problem and I'm always playing solo now. I just joined a new clan too and i can hardly play with any of them because of this.

Thing is the cooling option in this laptop is not the best one I agree, and yes I get a whining fan also if I am hosting a vast warframe multiplayer game, but temperature wise it never went over 70 degrees celcius.

Those temps are for a laptop reasonable and should not make the parts of your laptop run slower.

Also I saw a rise in Cpu usage when someone joined, a 100% spike on one of my cores and with that I got a severe lagg spike and the lagg as OP experiences.

I had a Lenovo y510p GT 755m SLI before this and that one died of a faulty GPU

Same issues with the other laptop but not as severe as this one.

Edited by TheRoaringLion

The heat sensor on mine is broken. I suspect it broke during shipping because mine says it goes to 100 C and beyond and it doesnt feel that hot at all. But it tells my PC to slow down im sure which only adds to the problem.

The heat sensor on mine is broken. I suspect it broke during shipping because mine says it goes to 100 C and beyond and it doesnt feel that hot at all. But it tells my PC to slow down im sure which only adds to the problem.

You may want to have that looked at, even if it is to just make sure the heatsink is correctly attached and their isn't any issue with the thermal grease/pads it's connected to. Some laptops are hard to do teardowns on, and if you're not tech literate you may want to have someone who is do it for you.

You may want to have that looked at, even if it is to just make sure the heatsink is correctly attached and their isn't any issue with the thermal grease/pads it's connected to. Some laptops are hard to do teardowns on, and if you're not tech literate you may want to have someone who is do it for you.

I rather Recommend to send it back to let that be fixed, it is not recommended to fix it on your own.

The Guarantee on this laptop goes as far that you are capable of swapping ram, a hard drive and that is it, the wlan NIC is not replaceable as lenovo has a whilelist build in its bios.

I rather Recommend to send it back to let that be fixed, it is not recommended to fix it on your own.

The Guarantee on this laptop goes as far that you are capable of swapping ram, a hard drive and that is it, the wlan NIC is not replaceable as lenovo has a whilelist build in its bios.

Yes, absolutely if it's still in warranty. Sorry, thought if there was something he thought was broken and he hadn't sent it back it was out of warranty.

Edited by KracsNZ

I'd rather not send my laptop back to Lenovo. I am still in warranty time but no thanks. The reason i have this computer now is because i sent another laptop in to be fixed at the manufacturer and never got it back.

I also get really bad performance if I go with random players, but if I go with players that I know of have good computers, I do not lagg ofthen or at all.

I think it is the syncing with warframe being really tight and lets your game lagg if the others lagg and get bad performance.

It could be that the netcode and Graphical optimizations really could help this game, Handling off more load to the gpu for high end players could help loads with better performance, as we pay for having good computers.

Furthermore this thread is a bit dead but I still see that laptops and warframe are a weird mix.

The shader optimization hotfix actually fixed my issues. Reduced the memory needed for everything, CPU GPU and RAM. Not much noise is made from my PC.

Also, u don't need a signature on forums. We can see ur name. Just saying.

Well its just a thing I use in every thing I say I just have to and BTW signatures are common on other forums so why not.

it's a thing that I did with all posts I do, if you do think it is useless well sorry to hear, I shall keep using it.

Furthermore nice that the hotfix fixed loads of stuff then I shall check today if it changed something on me.

It did not make any changes on me and BTW memory usage was no problem at all on my system.

I am a heavy user of my pc and well Chrome running in the background did not make any differences, as for my laptop or my gaming rig.

Warframe Graphics code is mainly on the CPU and the API polling overhead to the GPU is spammed full with Physx commands when on a long survival.

Rest is doing fine but still loads of stuff could be handed off to the gpu and give some breathing room to the cpu for more Mob movement processing and Netcode processes.

Also The host controls all Mobs in all the levels so if someone heads off to a different room warframe it doubles the load because that room spawns mobs and has to process also for them.

If they walk back that room gets disabled after a moment and cpu load is lower.

I think that warframe has to distribute mob movement processing over all computers (Host and Clients) and not only one hosting pc, its hard to code, but performance wise it will be better for most cases.

I have seen games with more gpu load and advanced AI/Mobs and they never went over 40% cpu load as warframe did lately.

Also I noticed on Draco if the host takes Mesa the cpu load goes up to 70% overall and some cores are fully utilized, as the mobs get controlled and some hard graphical processes are done on the cpu instead of the GPU.

I hope that I clarified how warframe works for the most of us and I sincerely recommend warframe devs putting more resources in optimizing their game for high end pc's instead of low spec peepsqueak systems, that will lagg anyways with their poor hardware.