Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Talking About Armored Core V "the Glory And The Fall"

Eruend

This topic is entirely because I felt a need to brag and vent out some built up rage aimed at the worst Armored Core game to have been released. May it burn in hell, and hopefully From will never again make the mistakes they did with it. (With the way game companies are these days, not holding my breath on that)

(edit: MASSIVE wall of text ahead. Sorry about that! Really needed to get it off my chest. Anyway, feel free to ignore it and post your own experiences)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anywho... Here's the story of Dead Link. Several friends of mine and myself were avid fans of the franchise. We regularly met up to build ACs and fight each other in various conditions since Armored Core 2 Another Age. We all played through the entire franchise, though several of us never touched the original demo. At any rate, we had a blast. Most of our group didn't particularly like the feel for 4, but we still played it somewhat. One of us was active on the X-Box online community, but not much else to note.

We were all super psyched for ACV when we heard that it would come back to ground focused battles, and more importantly, that it would feature online team battles. We decided that we'd go hardcore on that game. It was the first time me and my friends felt so determined to be at the top in something. Once the game came out, we all gathered and brought our consoles. We stayed for 4 days straight getting familiar with the game and getting the parts. Then we started tackleing PvP. In that time, there were already several large teams set up. Some consisting of well over 100 members.

We weren't sure how well our little team of 9 players would actually fare, but we really wanted to fight. So we picked a weak zone to take over and hammered at it. The guys who had it offered little to no resistance. We figured that they were probably a small clan, not unlike ours, but that they didn't have the time to really grasp what holding a territory meant.

Once we had it, we set ourselves up to have someone on watch 24/7. We wanted to dig in properly before setting our sights to other territories. When someone tried to attack, we would respond in full force. After a few days though, two of us had figured out how to exploit the static defenses to their best, and by that time, people were wary of attacking us. After these fights, we found that the general skill level of the player base was rather low. In average, when it wasn't a full team against one of us alone, we'd usually pull through with over half our AP left. Our aces even managed to get a couple of 1v5 wins.

It was around this time that we started to feel that there was a flaw in the game. We pooled all our knowledge into making our mechs, and we realized that there really were parts that just "fit too well" in many circumstances, leading to several configurations that were just... better then the rest. By no small margin. This apearant lack of balance was a bit frustrating. We would keep testing things.

Once we were confident that our main territory was solid, we started spreading out. I don't remember how many territories we actually captured, but it was swift and we were just as quick to make them solid. By that point, we started taking it a little bit easier. We relaxed our game times and alertness, letting some territories go in the red sometimes only to recover them swiftly.

Then, we decided that it was about time for us to try our hand at taking down some of the big clans. By this time, we were confident we could do it. We'd faced pretty much all the clans by then. And then... we hit a brick wall. We managed to capture one of their territories after a few fights, but after that, every time we challenged them, we were left pending. Not only did they refuse to face us, but on top of that, they lost nothing in doing so! They always had someone online in their teams, so the fight for the objective wouldn't start unless he accepted, which that player wouldn't do, leaving us in the loading screen forever. This seriously irritated us. What's worst, we met the same issue when we decided to try attacking elsewhere. We were really starting to feel the hate.

I went to the forums to see what gives, and people just didn't want to fight us. At all. Then we openly challenged other clans to attack our territories. We'd have nothing to gain from it, but we were starting to starve for a fight. At this point, a few of us were dropping out of the game. At some point, there were occasional skirmishes, but they were "hit and run" tactics. Players would just be trying to attack our territories and would bug out if we were online to defend. At this point, we were losing interest in the game. A game that doesn't reward diligence or courage, but rather the meek and weak.

One day, we actually got a challenge! Our hope for a worthy opponent ignited the team's spirit once more! Our first fight was a mess. So much was happening that the servers couldn't keep up and we were effectively hitting "after images" of our enemies due to lag. What we saw, were all our hits connecting and then our objectives blowing up with the enemy nowhere near them. At first, we honestly thought the enemy had discovered an exploit in the game and were using bugs to win. After further inspection and discussions with that team, we found out that it wasn't the case.

We schedueled a rematch and this time, our team played in a more controlled manner in order to keep the burden on the server as low as possible. We then took note of how they actually approached. They were basically three super light mechs and one heavy. All with minimal armament. Basically, it was a suicide squad. They would rush the objectives and take them out in one hit at point blank range using weapons that would be nearly impossible to use against a moving target, would have VERY limited ammo, but have insane attack power in the tradeoff. We could not stop them from taking our objectives.

We tried several times, all results being the same. We sometimes managed to stop one or two, but the other units would just pick up for them, and finish off the remaining objectives. Flimsy PARKED helicopters. We tried various tactics, but we just couldn't intercept them all, no matter what. Didn't even come close. Anyway, we were bested.Though it seriously grinded our gears that we were being "beaten" without actually fighting, we swallowed our pride and admitted defeat to that team. Even congratulated them for managing to do so.

A few days later, everyone was using that tactic though... And we were seriously ****** off... we were just about to toss the game away, when a notice popped up in the game. FROM SOFTWARE were preparing a patch! One that would hopefully fix most, if not all issues in the game! They even gave us a date and time!

The team gathered up again at my friend's house for the second time. We waited for that patch and were ready to go, even if that patch meant that all the zone ownerships were wiped! We were ready to go on a rampage! And so when the time finally arrived!.... Nothing happened! It was ok though. We figured it might be time zones or delays and decided to keep waiting. So we waited. For an entire day. with no news or notice about this patch anywhere. The group at that point just gave up on the game, but I kept waiting. And I waited for another day. And then... A notice came up! FROM SOFTWARE were preparing a patch! One that would hopefully fix most, if not all issues in the game! They even gave us a date and time! ...

It was the exact same message as previously, with the date changed... Two days before they could send us a notice that explained nothing! At this point, I was done with this game too. I packed up and went back home. And that's how Armored Core V died to us. All this, within 2 weeks.

Never have I loved a franchise as much as Armored Core. Never again will I trust a publisher to maintain its integrity. My hope for games in general is now dead. Good luck DE in not ending up like this./walloftext

Edited by Eruend

Funny thing... I bought it, but never had the courage to actually play it. Went to the forums a few weeks later to see if it actually touched up on the fatal flaws. Heard it didn't, so I never bothered.

Edited by Eruend

Funny thing, I bought it, but never had the courage to actually play it. Went to the forums a few weeks later to see if it actually touched up on the fatal flaws. Heard it didn't, so I never bothered.

I've never heard of the fatal flaws within Verdict Day. I mean sure it isn't AC2 or 4 but it's leagues better than V.

Give it a shot, I loved playing it with my friends.

They actually made single player modes feel fun and not have everything rely on online.

Maybe one day. Probably not though. Sorry, the scars from V are deep.

Give it time.

Hopefully fromsoft will make another AC game, this time with less of the BS V had and more along the lines of VD.

The first one I played was the original, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on it.

For some reason, Nine Breaker was the one I played the most.

Also the UNACs in VD were fun.

Dude you just made me wanna go play VD again.

Edited by Emperor-Pizza-The-Great

The ones we played most were Silent Line and Last Raven. Nine Breaker was ok, but the heat management was particularly rough. XD

NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE HEAT WEAPONS.

THEY WERE THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE.

I kinda want a more story focused AC to come out.

I mean take the online component of VD, make a damn good story mode for it and you could have an amazing game.

True, but story was never FROM's strong point. I think it's also a part of the charm for Armored Core. Where you just play a nameless mercenary getting by, doing his job. Saving the world is just a bonus. The mystery adds to the badassedness. :p (Yes. That's a word now.)

A story driven AC would be cool, but would also be a risky bet.

Edited by Eruend

True, but story was never FROM's strong point. I think it's also a part of the charm for Armored Core. Where you just play a nameless mercenary getting by, doing his job. Saving the world is just a bonus. :p

Stahp da eval corporashuns frum takin ovah da werld!

I think it's the characters that need fleshing out though. They add in the side characters but they never really amount to much.

Magnolia in VD is an example of how they can flesh out a character, but there wasn't much to attach to.

I'm more of a story buff.

Listen I deal with Armored Core theories, I DONT NEED TO DEAL WITH  BLOODBORN THEORIES EITHER.

Fixed. :p

I don't know. From obviously doesn't feel comfortable doing stories. Probably best to let the sleeping dogs lie.

Edited by Eruend

I think ACV was the first of the series to NOT have multiple mission trees. XD

Also, I had my share of fun in 4A using a midweight unit that had 2 blades, the best Kojima explosion parts and that insane back mounted sniper canon. The whole point was to get up to the enemy's face with blade dashing (faster then overboost on the lightest frame), then blowing him to smitherines with an ultima blast. The cannon was there to counter snipers. Going in a straight line to an enemy is begging for trouble if they have a long lock on range. I named it Etherion. o_O

Edited by Eruend

I'm not fan of AC5 mechs design. It's more like Wanzer, Not so stylish anymore compare to previous series IMO. 

I doubt FromSoft will be releasing another AC games. Because FromSoft making money with it's new "Child" (Souls series, Bloodborne). Been fans since PSone era. I mostly play Master of Arena because it's fun experimenting new mechs design & rekt enemy on Arena. 

I'd like to say that Verdict Day was a better experience over what ACV came to be. What I remember from it was that it's playerbase was much smaller than what ACV had since launch and more than likely harder to find anyone now as it continues to decline.

I'd like to say that Verdict Day was a better experience over what ACV came to be. What I remember from it was that it's playerbase was much smaller than what ACV had since launch and more than likely harder to find anyone now as it continues to decline.

I was playing it a few hours ago, and yeah the playerbase is now very small. 

I'm still gonna play it though, it's just fun to toy around the mechs and UNACs to see how things work.

I'm not fan of AC5 mechs design. It's more like Wanzer, Not so stylish anymore compare to previous series IMO. 

Yeah I agree, I miss the more slender and sleek designs of the ACs. Now it's more of a walking tank, they still look cool though.

Verdict day's story mode was pretty good but it didn't feel like a armor core game with the gameplay at least, though last one to do that was For Answer for me at least

The original set of AC games were just like AC:V and Verdict day.

So if anything, it went back to what made Armored Core.

that goes for V as well the game play seemed to streamlined though in verdict days defence it was good to fight White Glint, though predictable as the final boss 

J wasn't really White Glint, more like a modified version.

But it was a pretty epic boss. I had to have 3 friends help me out and to beat him once and it felt awesome when we did it.

Edited by Emperor-Pizza-The-Great

Armored Core For answer was hands down the best armored core, and I'd buy it again if it ever released on PC or new gen, even if they didn't update it, just left it as is. The last great game of From Software, it's like all there talent left after that game.

OP, your paragrapgh about base rushing is nothin new. Its what we used to do in Mech Assault 2 Lonewolf.

Use a VTOL to carry 2 Battle Armors to the enemy base. Battle Armors ignore Mechs and Mortar the puck out of the building to destroy it.

VTOL carried 4 Red upgrades( strawberries ), to resupply BAs and do that extra damage.

Its a very effective tactic if done correctly. It seems they did.

(Even won a lot of games as a pilot, on foot).

Sneak, CAREFULLY, because stray bullet effects too close could kill you by proximity. Not AoE ground but flying overhead.

Ninja my way on foot from spawn. Hide near base until last second, then plant and detonate a satchel bomb for the win.

It didnt matter if the other team was padding kills. If they didnt watch their base, they were pucked..........

Dont even get me started about beating Mechs as pilot.... in Team Destruction or other GT. did a LOT of that too.

I was the VTOL or BA, the smallest units except pilots.... our record was 15 secs in the GT Base Wars.......... I was number 1 in the world as a support clas( in ALL Gts), although the game didnt distinguish this aspect..  I was number 1 using smallfry gear v fully upgraded Mechs, I won, many times lol

As to the territories, I would have thought From Software would learm from the Chromhound mistakes.

Specifically regarding the Neromious War.......

Never played AC5, but AC4 was fun. Dont even ask about my grasshopper or speedcow -_-  lol

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck

But... just rushing objectives in a non-countereable way goes against the entire reason you play the game. It's a game about customising giant robots to fight. ACV managed to take out the customisation and the fight. It's basically playing the game, without playing the game. What's the point?

Edited by Eruend