Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would Really Appreciate An Internet Connection Meter

gimmemoney09

I hope they add a ping counter or some sort of signal strength bar. I've been suffering from terrible lag on and off, but whenever a do a speed test with the game running, it says that I'm running at 25 mbps or over. So im kinda wondering if its a problem of erratic connection speeds or my computer.

I hope they add a ping counter or some sort of signal strength bar. I've been suffering from terrible lag on and off, but whenever a do a speed test with the game running, it says that I'm running at 25 mbps or over. So im kinda wondering if its a problem of erratic connection speeds or my computer.

You need to measure your latency not your bandwidth.

When your connection feels laggy:

Open a command prompt box ( as administrator in vista / 7 )

type in: "ping www.google.com -t > c:\pingtest.txt" (Without the quotes)

Press enter and return to game without closing the dos box.

After a minute or 2 return to the dos box and press CTRL C to stop the ping from running.

Goto your C drive and examine the pingtest.txt file to see how yor latency was during the test.

Ofc the drawback to all this is that you are testing your ping to google and not to the host. For that DE will need to introduce an ingame latency meter. Bet you are wishihg you thought of that? :P

If however it is showing horrible pings to google then the problem probably is on your end.

Odds are that there is nothing wrong with your connection though, just that the hosts upstream bandwidth is inadequate to cope with the demands of hosting. Not a lot you can do about that and is one of the drawbacks to hosting on a client machine.

Edited by Ralthor

Not a lot you can do about that and is one of the drawbacks to hosting on a client machine.

Except maybe add upstream speed detection to the game code and make the fastest computer the host. Just an idea, though.