Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Off-Topic] Need Help Solving An Audio Problem With Windows

Kasumi-

I'm using Windows 10 build 10122.

If I'm listening to music anywhere at all (Youtube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Windows Media Player all tested) and someone messages me on Steam, the volume of whatever I'm listening to drops to almost inaudible.

It's not changing the volume level (by that I mean, I could have the volume maxed, and when someone messages me on Steam the slider still shows the volume at 100%, but really it's playing maybe at 10%), but still quieting down.

The only solution I know of is to pause whatever I'm listening to for about 2 minutes, then resuming it again (which makes the volume go back to normal).

Using the volume slider (either on Windows or in the program/website I'm using to listen to music) does not fix the problem.

This wasn't a problem in the previous Windows 10 build I used (build 9926). It seemed to start in 10122.

Any Windows 10 users out there that have encountered this? Did the 10130 build fix it?

Right click on the speaker in the system tray, click Playback devices. In the window that pops up, select the Communications tab. In that tab select Do Nothing.

ba5.png

I am on Win8 still, but it sounds like a buggy version of that option which was introduced in 7.

Right click on the speaker in the system tray, click Playback devices. In the window that pops up, select the Communications tab. In that tab select Do Nothing.

I am on Win8 still, but it sounds like a buggy version of that option which was introduced in 7.

Bah.

I had it set like that on Windows 8 for so long before I changed to 10 that I completely forgot it was a thing.

It seems to have done the job, thanks!