Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Good Gaming Pc Setup For $400-500$

(PSN)Fac3kick3r_lolz

Well..

I can give you my old setup  and

It doesn't come with a gpu as I had one.(before hand)

(Do you have one lying around or, i can give you this one (Meaning the build with a cheapish, good gpu) and you can think it over)

Edited by InhibitedFox

I really just want a setup thats mid-range to maybe the lower end of the spectrum of high-range stuff.

I think a better way to explain is something that matchs or exceeds the PS4.

For $400 - 500 bucks, good luck. Unless you intend to buy all the parts second hand over the next 6 months, since you'll never get something new with that power for that price. Consoles are extremely hard to beat for power to price ratio, especially at the start of a cycle. My PC is $3000 (NZD) and would only be 1.5 to 1.8x the PS4 power, with the PS4 being $550 (NZD), considering it's 6x the price and less than 2x the performance, PC hardware aint cheap.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($173.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: : A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Pwer Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.08 @ Newegg)
Total: $501.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

GPU: $119 ($20 rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

(Feel free to remove the ssd if you don't need it-- or go with an amd processor if you want it a bit cheaper)

(price may have changed as these links are kinda old.. lol)

edit: you may want to spend another 20-30 on fans.

Edited by InhibitedFox

For $400 - 500 bucks, good luck. Unless you intend to buy all the parts second hand over the next 6 months, since you'll never get something new with that power for that price. Consoles are extremely hard to beat for power to price ratio, especially at the start of a cycle. My PC is $3000 (NZD) and would only be 1.5 to 1.8x the PS4 power, with the PS4 being $550 (NZD), considering it's 6x the price and less than 2x the performance, PC hardware aint cheap.

Woah, you got ripped of bro. I hope you were exaggerating the performance deficit.

I got my PC for $1700 (NZD), bought a 970 separate for $500.

AMD 8320 8-core CPU

8GB Mushkin Black Ram

Intel Boot SSD

Aftermarket heatsink

etc. etc.

No corners cut either.

Where did you get your PC from?

I really just want a setup thats mid-range to maybe the lower end of the spectrum of high-range stuff.

I think a better way to explain is something that matchs or exceeds the PS4.

To build or to buy outright?....also, what currency specifically?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-next-gen-digital-foundry-pc

^Give this link a read for parts and performance comparisons^

Woah, you got ripped of bro. I hope you were exaggerating the performance deficit.

I got my PC for $1700 (NZD), bought a 970 separate for $500.

AMD 8320 8-core CPU

8GB Mushkin Black Ram

Intel Boot SSD

Aftermarket heatsink

etc. etc.

No corners cut either.

Where did you get your PC from?

To build or to buy outright?....also, what currency specifically?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-next-gen-digital-foundry-pc

^Give this link a read for parts and performance comparisons^

To build. I figured it would cost less to build it than outright buy it. Im in the US too

Edited by (PS4)Fac3kick3r_lolz

To build. I figured it would cost less to build it than outright buy it. Im in the US too

This is taken from the article above, their recommended PC parts list. Although it's in pound sterling, UK guys get the short end of the stick with pricing for some reason, the difference in US/UK pricing is marginal, so something similar should be achievable in the US.

Here's an outline of the costs in building your own Digital Foundry PC. All that's missing is an operating system. OEM versions of Windows 7 Professional are available on eBay for under £50, meaning that an entire working PC can be built to a budget of £500. We used prices here from Amazon.co.uk or Ebuyer.com, both of whom offer free delivery options.

• CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz processor with fan - £80.99
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 - £176.90
  • RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz - £61.42
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 mATX - £37.06
  • Storage: Seagate 500GB internal hard drive - £37.70
  • Case/Power Supply/Keyboard/Mouse: Gigabyte GZ-MA02 4-in-1 - £55.63
  • Total: £449.70

Our design omits an optical drive owing to the rise of digital delivery on the PC platform. However, numerous models are available costing just £13 if you want to add that functionality to your PC. For the current sweet-spot in price vs performance, GPU-wise, we recommend the Radeon R9 270, if you can find one on sale in the £120 area. By shopping around you should be able to get a legit copy of Windows 7 for around £50, giving us a £500 total.

-snip-

You can pretend you didn't pay as much but it doesn't matter, you're only lying to yourself.

My PC is AMD FX8350 4.0GHz 8 core, 16GB Gskill 1866MHz DDR3, Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 980 G1 GPU, Cooler Master V1200 Platinum PSU, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard, Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU cooler, Cooler master cosmos tower, 2TB HDD, 256GB 850 Evo Samsung SSD. That's a 3k (NZD) computer. And there's no way it's more than 1.8x the power of the PS4.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

You can pretend you didn't pay as much but it doesn't matter, you're only lying to yourself.

My PC is AMD FX8350 4.0GHz 8 core, 16GB Gskill 1866MHz DDR3, Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 980 G1 GPU, Cooler Master V1200 Platinum PSU, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard, Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU cooler, Cooler master cosmos tower, 2TB HDD, 256GB 850 Evo Samsung SSD. That's a 3k (NZD) computer. And there's no way it's more than 1.8x the power of the PS4.

Pretend? Lying to myself?

Bought the parts from here:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/

According to the receipt i got from them:

Order Total: $1,717.85

Regarding the PS4 thing however, On pure clock speed alone, your CPU is over 2x faster. That's not even considering the fact the PS4 architecture is designed for low power use foremost.

AMD's Jaguar does not compete with the Piledriver architecture.

GPU side:

980 - ~5 teraFlops

PS4 Pitcairn derivative - ~1.8 teraFlops

BTW, i didn't say you had a bad PC, don't know what's with the hostility. I merely observed that you had paid way too much for it.

Pretend? Lying to myself?

-snip-

The parts I bought were all at the lowest price in the country at the time, you may have noticed that all of my parts are the most powerful in there category of availability at the time. The PS4 has a 3.5GHz 8 core processor, so no it is not 2x3.5=/=4. The GPU in the PS4 is equivalent to the AMD R9 280, which while not top of the line, is not half the power of the GTX 980 G1.

The parts I bought were all at the lowest price in the country at the time, you may have noticed that all of my parts are the most powerful in there category of availability at the time. The PS4 has a 3.5GHz 8 core processor, so no it is not 2x3.5=/=4. The GPU in the PS4 is equivalent to the AMD R9 280, which while not top of the line, is not half the power of the GTX 980 G1.

I can't have noticed a time frame since the 980 and 8350 came out almost 3 years apart. In which case the FX9590 would be the "most powerful" at the time if the 'correct' timeframe is the 980..

The part in bold is all wrong btw, where'd you hear this?

PS4 spec:

8GB GDDR5 RAM

8 core 1.6GHz Jaguar based CPU architecture. 2 cores locked for the OS.

7870 Pitcairn based GCN GPU with 18 compute units, 20 on die for yield purposes.

https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/explore/ps4/features/tech-specs/

^Spec sheet from Sony themselves, pay attention to the "low power" & "Jaguar" cores they use to describe the chip. May be worth while to give this a read:

http://www.realworldtech.com/jaguar/

As for the GPU, i pretty much got that spot on.

Die shot of the PS4 APU:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/11/21/sony-ps4-apu/1

^This is all the PS4 has to work with, that's everything it has.

Anyway, as i posted with the eurogamer article, you don't need to break the bank to get a decent gaming PC.

The witcher 3 for example performs well above 60fps with a FX6300 running with max settings (second half of the following video):

I can't have noticed a time frame since the 980 and 8350 came out almost 3 years apart. In which case the FX9590 would be the "most powerful" at the time if the 'correct' timeframe is the 980..

The part in bold is all wrong btw, where'd you hear this?

PS4 spec:

8GB GDDR5 RAM

8 core 1.6GHz Jaguar based CPU architecture. 2 cores locked for the OS.

7870 Pitcairn based GCN GPU with 18 compute units, 20 on die for yield purposes.

https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/explore/ps4/features/tech-specs/

^Spec sheet from Sony themselves, pay attention to the "low power" & "Jaguar" cores they use to describe the chip. May be worth while to give this a read:

http://www.realworldtech.com/jaguar/

As for the GPU, i pretty much got that spot on.

Die shot of the PS4 APU:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/11/21/sony-ps4-apu/1

^This is all the PS4 has to work with, that's everything it has.

Anyway, as i posted with the eurogamer article, you don't need to break the bank to get a decent gaming PC.

The witcher 3 for example performs well above 60fps with a FX6300 running with max settings (second half of the following video):

Funny you should put a Sony tech sheet on that doesn't actually state what you're assuming and that other website has unofficial data. Yes the chip in the PS4 is dubbed a "jaguar" in it's architecture, that was never disputed, however it is a highly modified version that was made to draw out the absolute upmost performance with minimal power drain because due to the high standards it must meet to legally be allowed through production it cannot exceed 400W at the wall, the PS4 is approx 250W. You are comparing it to an inefficient run of the line PC graphics card. And yes the GTX980 was purchased less than a fortnight ago. At the time when I first put the PC together a year ago as mentioned that you somehow missed, the AMD FX9590 hadn't launched in NZ and i'm pretty sure it's still unavailable here.

Funny you should put a Sony tech sheet on that doesn't actually state what you're assuming and that other website has unofficial data. Yes the chip in the PS4 is dubbed a "jaguar" in it's architecture, that was never disputed, however it is a highly modified version that was made to draw out the absolute upmost performance with minimal power drain because due to the high standards it must meet to legally be allowed through production it cannot exceed 400W at the wall, the PS4 is approx 250W. 

Ha! So when i post a source from people who actually work with PC's for a living, it gets ignored because it's not official. 

But you can post ridiculous claims with nothing at all to substantiate them and consider that as more credible? Who are you exactly that providing a source for you claims need not apply?

If you wan't to win, then you win bud, congrats! My point still stands however, that a decent gaming PC need not break the bank.

p.s, Putting "absolute" and "upmost[sic]" when referring to the same subject is a teeny bit redundant. 

EDIT:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=19903

Been on sale there ever since the line-up launched also....so, yeah. 

Edited by MillbrookWest