Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Repetition

Xynthes

Designing levels is never an easy task, and should never be expected to be perfect, especially in beta testing. That being said, I can't help but feel that there is, as stated in the title, repitition. Now I am not asking for thousands of separate objects with their own animations, etc. rather it would be nice to see a more artistic approach to the level design. You have your set budget of polygons per level, memory per level, and the like and this is all understandle, the game has to be actually PLAYABLE without trashing the average computer, but that is a discussion for another topic and thread.

Taking away from that the Infection levels are certainly a nice change of scenery. The addition of the organic matter around the map makes it immediatetly feel different, a good thing. Furthermore; the "day" and "night" missions are also a welcome change that adds to the over ambience of the level. The levels themselves very much resemble paths, which for a game of this genre, is to be expected. This leaves you, the creators of this game, with less room to be creative with.

In summary? Change up the rooms themselves - even a littile bit - and be creative! While there certainly are other area's of the game that require more immediate attention, don't "ctrl+c" and "ctrl+v" the rooms in the levels with the differences being the order in which they appear. The game will start to lose it's dynamic feel that the combat gives it.

All the best!

-Xynthes

This.

This is so far the only thing that stands out as problematic for me. Each mission is essentially the same set of rooms organized in a semi-randomized fashion. Sure, sometimes there's fire or ice, or the infestaion in the rooms, but the rooms are all essentially the same design.

It would be quite referesing if there was a different set of room design asthetics for each planet. It would aslo be nice to possibly see some outdoors/planetside missions. Heck I'd settle for a simple design change based on the Enemy factions. It's a bit odd that it seems like the Grineer and the Corpus have the same interior designers for their ships.

But as stated, budget may be an issue. But because the core gameplay is quite strong, even for a beta, I can say I'd be willing to pay a bit to get some more map designs.

Designing a type identity with its own look, speech, sounds, AIs and structural designs takes a REALLY long time. And it takes even longer to implement it.

We need to be patient on this.

As far as I've noticed they're trying to get a little variation into the levels via different screen filters as well.

If the close repetition stays in the game and is not being improved upon very much that might just free up resources for more gameplay variation options. (more weapons/warframes, different enemy tactics, more enemy types, additional combo moves or fighting styles etc.) All of which might be simpler to implement, but harder to test and debug.

Its basically a question of distributing man hours to different priorities in game design. I don't think revamped level designs are far up there.

I agree with all of them. To be honest if microtransactions where in better incriments and well, platinum was a little cheaper I might be more inclined to spend money. I have spent $20 already and only got 1 warframe. Being that there is 8 and they vary in cost I can't support a dev team by spending $100 on frames on a "f2p" game. Yes I know you can grind out blue prints but I already even have to pay for more slots to hold them as well. Something has to give. If things were cheaper and I felt like I was getting more for my money I would actually spend more. and then they would have more resources to develope the game.