Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Location Specific Modding

CrimsonNightSky

The concept is fairly simple -

Instead of a giant clump of "anything you want" mods on warframes, guns, sentinels, etc... Have mod types be location specific:

FRAMES
Head: Ability mods and/or Radar Utility mods. - Possibly even with a separate space for Augments
Body: Health, Armor, Shields, Stamina (lol not anymore), Ammo Storage ('deep pockets'), Warm Coat, etc
Arms: Maybe move some Melee mods here. Or split mods like Attack Speed and Base Damage (pressure point) between both arms and melee.
Legs: Sprint Speed, Jump Height, Slide Speed, "handspring" (might have to rename that ;) ), etc...

GUNS

-Ammo Mods: Multishot, Damage type, Explosion Size, maybe some form of crit (ie hollow point rounds - not specifically the in game mod)

-Magazine mods: Not sure how I feel about this category, but mostly Magazine Cap / Reload Speed / Primed Chamber
-Barrel Mods: Range, Damage Falloff, Damage, etc...
-Sight: Zoom mods, Crit Chance while Zoomed mods, recoil?, maybe others
-Special/Mechanical: This applies to internal mechanisms, whether they be energy, rocket, or bullet related.
    Firespeed/charge time, Punchthrough? (could be shared with Ammo Mods), mods that affect how the acts such as Thunderbolt. This might be a good spot for faction style mods as well.

I dont have any specific structure on how many mods each spot should have. But I imagine most mod areas having 1-4 slots, with most being 2 or 3. The actual numbers would depend on what mods go there and how strong an impact those mods have.

-=-=-=-=-    -=-=-=-=-    -=-=-=-=-    -=-=-=-=-    -=-=-=-=-    -=-=-=-=-    

One of the major goals behind this post is to make people think about how they mod their frames and their weapons. Having a bunch of spaces that are shared usually means that things like Utility will almost always get dropped for stuff like Damage.

Another major goal is to promote diversity in modding. Having a bunch of shared spaces on warframes means that we can cram mods in to make Abilities which - hit very hard, very far, and very cheap on energy. Guns which need to be filled with damage mods from top to bottom to stay relevant. I'm also hoping that this type of modding will promote real decisions and gameplay differences between Tenno and their builds.

"But Mr Crimson, what will forma do?"
-One option is to have it boost a mod slot's performance by 10% (stacks twice up to 20%) and have that be limited to two Mod Slots on each Weapon/Frame. Total of 40% bonus stats in the spot that you want it.
-Another option is to have it unlock slots specifically for Corrupt Mods. You can further specialize your gun at a cost. For example an Ammo Mod that doubles the amount of Pellets/Multishot, but reduces damage per pellet -40% to -50%. (total damage is close to the same or goes up a bit)
-Again it's up to DE's discretion how we smush those shiny puzzle pieces onto our guns. (Side note, I wish we could use a forma to add PBR/appearance customization to specific areas of guns)

Mods might need some rebalancing, but I think this style of Modding would encourage more diverse and meaningful Modding. Maybe it could even make guns/frames easier to balance.

Edited by CrimsonNightSky