The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When To Use Physical Mods Over Elemental Mods In Melee?

(PSN)TheYetiMan22

Question

Hi, as always, I've been reading threads that pop up and I'm always learning something new. A couple of threads over the last few days regarding melee weapons (namely Scindo prime) have made me slightly confused. 

I've understood that you can forgo physical mods such as buzz kill and jagged edge for a 90% element as the higher levels you go the more use the element is as physical drops off. However, I've seen some state that it's better to keep buzz kill as the weapon's slash damage accounts for a large percentage of overall damage. 

So, what is it then? And when should I be using physical mods over elements? What's the percentage of total damage that should tell me to boost with a physical mod?

3 answers to this question

The number most often thrown around is 75-80% of a weapons damage in one type of IPS damage to use the 120% mod for that type; however, that 120% mod will also increase the damage of Exalted Blade/Slash Dash more heavily than a 90% elemental counterpart (depending on enemy fought).

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much Slash suffers vs Alloy Armour (-50%!), so keep that in mind if you're going Voids/Grineer.

Against Infested/4x CP groups/sometimes Corpus (space permitting) I'll put on Buzzkill (Fanged Fusillade has a permanent spot on my Dread however). Weapons like Boltor Prime/Paris Prime/Latron Prime also benefit heavily from Piercing Caliber, Bore benefits Despair/Lex Prime/Rakta Ballistica (all the yes on that one) a ton. that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by Magneu