Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dodge Should Not Be Bound To Sprint Button.

Rabcor

Bind sprint to your primary mouse button like in Assassin's Creed. It's by far the most important game play function. Having it bound to the mouse makes it far easier to control your tap action so you don't inadvertently roll or not-roll.

That suggestion is so preposterous, it's hard to tell if you're being serious? :)

The only thing the sprint button should do in this game is sprint. Make all the fancy stuff activated by a different command. (not jump, the only thing jump should do is jump)

Bottom line is, whenever you have one command that does multiple things it's probably gonna lead to some frustration.

Bind sprint to your primary mouse button like in Assassin's Creed. It's by far the most important game play function. Having it bound to the mouse makes it far easier to control your tap action so you don't inadvertently roll or not-roll.

Um,... no / what / how ? I haven't played assassins cread. So please explain how I would use my shooting button or for that matter my aiming button to sprint? Run really fast all the time spraying bullets everywhere? Sounds like you'd go through a lot of ammo.

Edited by Carcharias

I believe that DE had basically had a second button available for just the roll, though you would still roll if you tapped sprint originally.  They pulled that binding off completely because apparently some people were unhappy with having the extra button as well as it was sort of keybinding clutter.

The problem is that it would be better for quite a few people to not have sprint and roll triggered by the same button/action.  I am one of the people that never wants to roll when I am using the sprint button.

It's cool if other people do want it, but I don't.  I would rather be able to separate sprint and roll, and put them on different buttons.  I am cool with needing an additional binding.  I just worry, that it isn't the keybinding limiting it, but the way they set up the action.

I'm still confused on why combining jump and dodge is a problem. I think that having sprint and roll combined is bad because it feels clunky double tapping (shift) with my pink to roll, especially when I am already holding it down to sprint. I think it should be combined with (spacebar) instead because you aren't holding it down while moving, and using my thumb to double tap feels better than my pinky. 

Edited by Varelze

I'd feel way more ninja if i could start running without a moment's notice. But instead i have to hold down shift until my character starts sprinting.

Sometimes my character will accidentally jump forward in a magnificent roll instead of sprinting.

I'd prefer to have dodge bound as a quick double tap on a directional button (then dodge in that direction) or Alt, so that i don't have to hold down a button to start sprinting.

Changing the key or how it works would drive me and many others mad now we are used to it. Sprint is bugged. Sometimes you press shift and you don't sprint. If they fix this, it should fix your problem. If not, its your keyboard.

An option to separate sprint and roll would be fine. I would not use this option but its fine for others. If i was forced into something that was not intuitive it would affect my gameplay and stop me from enjoying the game as much as i do.

I use roll a lot so please be careful before you change it. You might have a thread with 1000 replies instead of this thread next time.

I guess the best solution would be a optional seperate key for dodge/roll.

So players, that like the actual controls can just keep them and players that would prefer to bound dodge to an other key than sprint can do so.

I would definitly use this it, because im used to have sprint on shift and dodge/roll on alt in every game for about 10 years.

And I realy don't see any reason not to add this option.

Edited by Theodorion

I'm still confused on why combining jump and dodge is a problem. I think that having sprint and roll combined is bad because it feels clunky double tapping (shift) with my pink to roll, especially when I am already holding it down to sprint. I think it should be combined with (spacebar) instead because you aren't holding it down while moving, and using my thumb to double tap feels better than my pinky. 

2 reasons spring to mind:

1) There are situations where you naturally try to jump twice in rapid succession.

2) To distinguish between the single tap(jump) & double tap(dodge), there would have to be a double-tap delay resulting in an even less responsive jump action.

Edited by TehJumpingJawa

Um,... no / what / how ? I haven't played assassins cread. So please explain how I would use my shooting button or for that matter my aiming button to sprint? Run really fast all the time spraying bullets everywhere? Sounds like you'd go through a lot of ammo.

That suggestion is so preposterous, it's hard to tell if you're being serious? :)

I could not imagine playing any other way. Mobility is the most important part of this game. This is not an FPS, it's third person action. My set-up is:

Primary Mouse button = Sprint

Secondary Mouse button = Fire Weapon

Thumb side mouse button = Toggle Crouch

Center mouse button (below the mousewheel on my  Razer Taipan) = Melee

Pinky side mouse button = Block

Shift = Aim/Zoom

Space = Jump

Why anyone would put aim on their mouse over any other utility boggles my mind.

Most of the best movement combos utilize crouching and sprinting and jumping. So conditioning your forefinger and thumbs to work together rhythmically brings about the best results. Toggle crouch is better than holding down a button crouch because sprinting deactatives crouch naturally.

Give it a shot. It revolutionized my gameplay immersion, and took the load of my pinky. I rarely just sprint around. I'm usually front-flipping, sliding, and bouncing all over the place, moving like an insect, going where I please at the speed of thought.