Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real Time Weapon Swings, Could They Be Possible?

CharlesSnippy

I play a few different games at the moment, there's Warframe, Kerbal Space Program, and Chivalry. I think that Warframe could benefit greatly from some of one of the other games features. I don't propose having to match orbital inclinations with corpus ships, but I'd love to see real time weapon swings in Warframe.

This presents a few problems though, I have no idea if real time swings are possible within the games current engine, and I don't think the feature is worth rewriting too much code either. For the uninitiated, real time swings is a chivalry feature used to make realistic fights. The weapons position is tracked and when it impacts an opponent it deals damage, this damage is also locational. This differs from standard hit-box weapon swings in that it allows attacks to miss and hit more realistically, just because an enemy is directly in front of you, doesn't mean your weapon actually hit him. Likewise, an enemy just out of reach may take a nick across the throat that doesn't register in the game.

This system would change melee combat a lot, and it'd be up to the Dev's to decide if it would be for the better, rebalancing would probably have to occur, and as I said earlier, coding time and general compatibility could be issues. I'm no programmer, at least, not yet, so I can't really say how easy or difficult it would be to implement, but I'm guessing towards the latter. Let me know what you think of the idea, and if any DE's could give me their opinion, I'd be most delighted.

Discuss...

I play a few different games at the moment, there's Warframe, Kerbal Space Program, and Chivalry. I think that Warframe could benefit greatly from some of one of the other games features. I don't propose having to match orbital inclinations with corpus ships, but I'd love to see real time weapon swings in Warframe.

This presents a few problems though, I have no idea if real time swings are possible within the games current engine, and I don't think the feature is worth rewriting too much code either. For the uninitiated, real time swings is a chivalry feature used to make realistic fights. The weapons position is tracked and when it impacts an opponent it deals damage, this damage is also locational. This differs from standard hit-box weapon swings in that it allows attacks to miss and hit more realistically, just because an enemy is directly in front of you, doesn't mean your weapon actually hit him. Likewise, an enemy just out of reach may take a nick across the throat that doesn't register in the game.

This system would change melee combat a lot, and it'd be up to the Dev's to decide if it would be for the better, rebalancing would probably have to occur, and as I said earlier, coding time and general compatibility could be issues. I'm no programmer, at least, not yet, so I can't really say how easy or difficult it would be to implement, but I'm guessing towards the latter. Let me know what you think of the idea, and if any DE's could give me their opinion, I'd be most delighted.

Discuss...

They have said they wont make melee combat much more complicated than it is. This is a shame but the game is so fast and people like Warframe to be fast. I have not heard of this Chivalry before. I might take a look later. I liked the old Star wars pc games that were first person and you could deflect laser shots in real time. I don't think it would work in a fast paced game like this but it would be awesome.

It's less of a gameplay change (though it would open up more opportunities  and more of an under the hood change. It would change up the combat, but not by as much as you'd think. It would add a lot to the feel of the combat, and make long-swords more effective (as they'd actually hit multiple enemies now).

Edited by CharlesSnippy

I don't propose having to match orbital inclinations with corpus ships, but I'd love to see real time weapon swings in Warframe.

What's wrong with matching orbital inclinations with Corpus ships?

The melee change would work pretty horribly in Warframe as it's a much, MUCH faster paced game. Especially if you've decided to melee for a while.

I don't think you guys quite understood the concept. The melee attack speed, animations, and damage would be unchanged, this would simply improve hit detection, I'm unsure why the system is called real time melee, but I assume it has something to do with the way the weapon position is calculated.

I'm pretty sure you would need mouse control for melee for this to work (you'd have to be able to aim). It would also require DE to pretty much throw away their whole melee system and most if not all of the animations. Animations are costly to make. Also, it works very well in Chivalry because it's first person, so aiming is much easier. Not saying it wouldn't work in third person, just it would be kinda hard to do. Chivalry is all about the melee combat, it's the core of the game. But in warframe melee is but one of the things you can do. Warframe is NOT a melee centric game. So making huge complicated and expensive rework just for the sake of melee is kinda stupid.

And in the end I don't even particularly like Chivalry's melee system, so on top of that it's personal preference and there would be undoubtedly many players that would hate this.

Edited by LocoWithGun

Yeah, I'm convinced that not a single person knows what I am talking about. The melee system would be entirely unchanged aside from the hit detection. Hmmmm. Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about? Am I confusing real time melee with something else?