Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are There Still Ice Levels In This Game?

krisp

"Hey guess what! HALF YOUR SHIELDS ARE RANDOMLY GONE TROLOLO"

I've been expecting this placeholder for actual mission variety to disappear 2 major patches ago, and it's still here?

Get rid of this nuisance and put actually interesting mutators in please.

It's one of the only things that makes the game challenging from time to time.

Don't you think it's time to go to the next step (read: deal with such "nuisances")?

It forces you to be more alert when it comes to your actions. You can't just jump in middle of an enemy group. You have to plan a step ahead. To be honest, I like it the way it is. It is an occasional "oh crap, not again" moment, but it really does keep the game interesting for me, partly anyway.

No, it doesn't. Why? Because if I run into a cryo hazard, I just insta-bail because having half shields on high-level missions is a death sentence. It's a minor inconvenience because of this, and nothing more. If DE wanted to do this right, they would have made a planet where EVERY level reduced your shields, and it wouldn't just be a stupid explanation like "herp derp for some reason every spaceship/base has a broken cryogenics core", either.

Edited by CrazyCanadian24

So let me get this straight.

Instead of putting some actual effort in to redesign the silly ice/fire mutators that were RNG and made no sense

You threw a MOD at it and called it a day. A mod. For a specific mission type. That you can skip. That is RNG. That isn't even engaging. A mod that doesn't even nullify the effect. That costs who knows how much drain and absolutely no one will use it.

...I give up. If that's the way they're going to solve every problem in this game, I might as well throw in the towel.

Edited by krisp

Instead of putting some actual effort in to redesign the silly ice/fire mutators that were RNG and made no sense

You threw a MOD at it and called it a day. A mod. For a specific mission type. That you can skip. That is RNG. That isn't even engaging. A mod that doesn't even nullify the effect. That costs who knows how much drain and absolutely no one will use it.

...I give up. If that's the way they're going to solve every problem in this game, I might as well throw in the towel.

It's a sad and pathetic fix:(

"Hey guess what! HALF YOUR SHIELDS ARE RANDOMLY GONE TROLOLO"

I've been expecting this placeholder for actual mission variety to disappear 2 major patches ago, and it's still here?

Get rid of this nuisance and put actually interesting mutators in please.

I actually love this because it introduces randomness into the game. I'm not playing this game to stroke my ego, I'm playing this game to get a challenge. There's nothing like getting through an iced alert levels with multiple additional objectives being thrown at you and then having the Stalker spawn in the middle of it and take him out too.

I actually love this because it introduces randomness into the game. I'm not playing this game to stroke my ego, I'm playing this game to get a challenge. There's nothing like getting through an iced alert levels with multiple additional objectives being thrown at you and then having the Stalker spawn in the middle of it and take him out too.

They could've been done so much better though. A quick glimpse at the Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile map/mutator system gives you all the examples you need. As it stands, you don't get anything for it. For me, who has a sentinel that can refill shields, superpowered weapons and almost always plays warframes that can easily deal with incoming damage, it's not even a challenge.

No, it doesn't. Why? Because if I run into a cryo hazard, I just insta-bail because having half shields on high-level missions is a death sentence. It's a minor inconvenience because of this, and nothing more. If DE wanted to do this right, they would have made a planet where EVERY level reduced your shields, and it wouldn't just be a stupid explanation like "herp derp for some reason every spaceship/base has a broken cryogenics core", either.

I do the same. Not because I'm challenge averse, because I don't see the point if there's no rewards. I would much rather see entire planets designed and scaled around specific challenges instead of random things that have no upside to them.

Harsh but mostly fair.

The 'Frozen Ship' is actually one of the starting ideas... if they change it, it'll still half the shield but make a different appearance or name for it. There are other environment issues such as 'The ship Self-Destruction, avoid the fires' where there are flames in all the rooms, but no one actually has a issue with it because it doesn't do it throughout the mission.

Environment areas are for Challenge mainly... people wouldn't be on their toes if there wasn't something like this.

Agreed. Its to prevent people from only stacking shield mods ect. Personally id love to see MORE types of environmental hazards, the fire doesn't really scare me.

I'm hoping (with the addition of this mod) and the future difficulty choices, they'll stop the cold missions from appearing randomly and just add them as a difficulty modifier.  This will hopefully all affect credit payout and mod drop chance or some such.  We'll see.  The Scorpian & Handspring situation sort of feels like a slap to the face about this, too.  Only with Scorp and Handspring, its in reverse.  They introduced the mod, and then introduced the problem it was 'addressing' afterwards.

Bad omens.

Why sun doesnt make space warm?? Theres a reason why there is a device which keeps temperature on these ships and it can malfunction.

I can think of another reason if that doesnt fit you.

Because the mission might take place on the wrong side of the snow line?

Which radius is, I think, 4.85× square root of the star's initial luminosity.

So for our solar system, the snow line would be at about 3.99 AU or somewhere between Mars and Jupiter.

Now for the malfunction of that decide which gives us sub-zero temperatures: either it fails to heat the ship properly (post-snow line), or dissipates far too much heat (pre-snow line).

Or yeah, other bad cold stuff.

Yeah and Titan being the only realistic moon to be terraformed gets 1% of the sunlight earth gets and is −179.2 °C despite its thick methane atmosphere that makes a greenhouse effect. Still, game logic.

All the greenhouse gasses mean S#&$ if the warmth doesn't get there in the first place.

Like I mentioned above, the snow line (or 273 degrees kelvin line) is at about 4AU distance from the sun, Saturn (the planet Titan orbits) is at about 10AU distance from the sun. Things get cold there.

No, it doesn't. Why? Because if I run into a cryo hazard, I just insta-bail because having half shields on high-level missions is a death sentence.

Dunno if it can happen on those Void missions, but if it can, would you bail as well?

I'm getting bored with the ice environments. They MUST be changed, we need variety! And we don't like seeing ice on Venus and such, lol. I would REALLY love to see jungle, desert and lava facilities. And yes, cutting shields for ice is a very random thing, maybe it just fit ships but meh.

The real funny issue is that the Frost warframe is all about ice. That mutator should double his shields instead of halving them.

Edited by Krotalon

Giving a little something extra at the end would be good to give some upside to ice environments. I often will just restart the mission if it is an alert I want to get through quickly and don't want to spend twice as much time waiting for shields to regen. Making enemy shields take a hit would also be a benefit.

I would love my idea from forum posts long ago to be incorporated as well, which is to make fire/ice not toggles but rather temp modifiers. Rather than an ice round instantly slowing a mob, mobs would take cumulative ice or fire damage and either start to burn or slow more with each shot. Eventually they would either combust screaming, or freeze in place with a high chance of shatter. Hot and cold environments could work in conjunction with a temp system.

It's all about making the grind, fun.. I like the change up, but I feel we need MORE random traumatic stuff to happen.. They say "The ship has taken some hits" wel, from what or who?? Why does the ship continue taking hits? The ships that have taken hits, should be in a constant state of combat.. Meaning, the ship should randomly get hit and rumble making every stumble or fall down (even enemies) and that's just a basic suggestion..

The "cinematic" tricks DE used in that Star Trek game would translate pretty nicely.. Collapsing areas within the ship, stuff randomly exploding.. Heck maybe even some "quick time" scenes that can randomly happen, like instead of the stalker coming to kill you on the ship you are on, he attempts to assasinate you as you exit the mission , so as you attempt to end the mission as normal stepping into the dropship, the stalker grabs you and throws you while walking towards you (quick time) you must press buttons in sequence to stop him from beating you up and stuff..

Just an example..

It's all about making the grind, fun.. I like the change up, but I feel we need MORE random traumatic stuff to happen.. They say "The ship has taken some hits" wel, from what or who?? Why does the ship continue taking hits? The ships that have taken hits, should be in a constant state of combat.. Meaning, the ship should randomly get hit and rumble making every stumble or fall down (even enemies) and that's just a basic suggestion..

The "cinematic" tricks DE used in that Star Trek game would translate pretty nicely.. Collapsing areas within the ship, stuff randomly exploding.. Heck maybe even some "quick time" scenes that can randomly happen, like instead of the stalker coming to kill you on the ship you are on, he attempts to assasinate you as you exit the mission , so as you attempt to end the mission as normal stepping into the dropship, the stalker grabs you and throws you while walking towards you (quick time) you must press buttons in sequence to stop him from beating you up and stuff..

Just an example..

That first thought is interesting, but the second one is a definite "no". The last thing this game needs is quicktime events.

Just an example..

I really like the first example.

People don't hate the Ice levels because they add "challenge", they hate it because it's a unavoidable punishment that if you're really dedicated to avoiding, can be skipped with a simple quit level and join the mission again. Something that has a varied affect that isn't a simple punishment that actually changes game-play? That's fun. That adds variety to the levels, that adds extra challenge.

Though the second is a really bad idea, why I don't hate QTEs, Asura's Wraith is a awesome game, having a press X not to die, is a really terrible idea. QTEs should be used more for stop the high damage attack, or break the stun. If it's too easy, there's no point to it, If it's too hard, it'll be rage-quit worthy, essentially @(*()$ over the player over something that you can't really get better at after the did the levels which is affected by how skilled you are. You're stuck with either a pointless event, or a slap to the face.

Another type of idea would be stuff like this.

"Tenno, their has been a chemical spill in the ventilation system/strong mist on this sector of the planet. This has caused a mist to appear through-out the ship that drastically lowers visibility. While you may have a hard time spotting enemies from afar, you should also take this chance to try to sneak through the level."

"Tenno, the atmosphere on this planet/due to a leak in storage the very air is highly unstable, and does not react well the friction/is extremely thick. All rounds fired by either you or your enemies will hurt notably more on impact/be slowed down and their effects will be lessened."