Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question About The Upgrading/switching Of Operating Systems/software?

HalotroopermanX7

When upgrading to a newer form of operating system (say for example from Windows 7 to Windows 8, or in my case, Windows 7 to Windows 10), does the older operating system become discarded? 

But I also hear that you can switch from one operating system from another with a certain software, I was wondering if anybody could provide me the name and link of what it is?

Yes when you upgrade it overwrites the original operating system. For example, it's just like making changes to a document and saving over it. Only on a much bigger scale. :)

You can partition your hard drive as well if you don't want to spend the money on a second drive. It reserves space on your hard drive to act like a second storage device. You can then install a seperate OS on that, and when you boot up your PC it will give you a choice of which OS you want to start with.

Technically not correct: if you partion your disk you can still have all of your previous data and still boot up with your previous OS.

Ya beat me to it.
It's correct if you upgrade the OS as Kaiczar was saying. But not if you install a seperate OS on the side. You can keep both that way :)

Edited by Keyse

You can partition your hard drive as well if you don't want to spend the money on a second drive. It reserves space on your hard drive to act like a second storage device. You can then install a seperate OS on that, and when you boot up your PC it will give you a choice of which OS you want to start with. Though I don't know of a program that will give you the option to switch, it always did it automatically for me.

I wonder if this is the program you're speaking of? Because you said partition and the description of the software says what you said :D 

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/eshop.html

I wonder if this is the program you're speaking of? Because you said partition and the description of the software says what you said :D 

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/eshop.html

There's a bunch of them out there, but this one will definitely do it!

...or you could just go to the start menu (or whatever you use to search up programs in win8 if you have that) and search "disk management"